Army Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Records

How do I go about finding out about Army Records? Do not know for sure as to which family memebers records I would find in the Army, but I am sure that do to there ages some of them would have been in the first or second world war.

If they were in WW1 and left the army before 1922 their records may be at Kew and may be on Ancestry. I say may because over 50% of records were lost during WW2. Ancestry have not put up the full alphabet of what has survived yet either.

If they were in the army after 1922 then their records will still be with the MoD and can only be applied for by the person themselves or their next of kin.

Comment

First world war records (many of them were burnt) are at The National Archives in Kew. Medal cards and pension records are on Ancestry.

Post-1921 you need the Army Records Office
      Welcome to the new British Army Website - British Army Website
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

We traced my father-in-laws service records and they came from the following address:
        Army Personnel Centre,
        Civil Secretariat
        Historical Disclosures
        Mail Point 400, Kentigern House
        65 Brown Street
        Glasgow
        G2 8EX
        Tel: 0141 224 2744
        They also deal with military welfare requests but gave us his full service record from 1926 to 1946, had to pay for it, about £30 if I remember rightly but well worth the money (lead us to an earlier marriage no-one knew about!)

Comment

Working...
        X