Can anyone find Thomas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone find Thomas?

I've just got the army discharge record for Thomas Parkinson from the National Archives. He was discharged from the Royal Horse Guards on 8 April 1840 after nearly 12 years' service, due to weakness of the leg caused by an aneurism.

I can't find a death for him, nor can I find him on the censuses.

Thomas was born in Rothley, Leicestershire, on 23 February 1808 (birth registered at the Rothley Baptist Church). According to the army records, he was a maltster by trade (like his father).

His army record doesn't mention a wife (the "married" column is blank), but there is a submitted entry on the IGI:

Thomas Parkinson
    Male

Event(s):
    Birth: About 1807

Parents:
    Father: William Parkinson

Marriages:
    Spouse: Mary Brown
    Marriage: 15 NOV 1841 Rothley, Leicester, England

Although it's submitted, it sounds plausible, because his father was called William, and the year of birth is approximately right.

However, I can't find either him or Mary in 1851 or 1861. There's a possible Mary Brown living in Rothley in 1841 (a dressmaker born in 1813), but I can't find her with the surname Parkinson in 1851.

I've checked out Thomas's relatives on the censuses, and he isn't with any of them.

In 1841 his father William (1770-?) was living with Thomas's married sister Mary Screaton in Rothley. In 1851 William, a widower, was in an almshouse in Barrow-on-Soar.
    Sister Mary Screaton (1813-1879) was living in Rothley in 1841 and 1851,
    Another married sister, Ann Spencer (1806-1887), was in Quorn(don) in 1841 and 1851.
    Brother William (1810-?) was in Leicester in 1841 and living with Mary Screaton and family in 1851.
    Unmarried sister Sarah Parkinson (1816-1900) was living with Ann Spencer and family in 1841 and 1851.

If Thomas went back to his home village, Rothley (as the submitted marriage suggests), his death should have been registered in the Barrow-on-Soar district.

There's a death in Leicester in 1861 which isn't him (it corresponds to a burial for a 5-year-old child), and one in Barrow in 1870 for a Thomas Ferryman Parkinson aged 65. I shouldn't think this is him - his birth registration doesn't include a middle name, and the surname Ferryman doesn't appear further back in the family. The death corresponds to a burial in Sileby; that's not far from Rothley, but there was another Parkinson family in Sileby, which I don't think was connected to mine. I've found what looks like that Thomas (an unmarried framework knitter) living with a brother called William in Sileby in 1851.

I've followed the rest of my Parkinson family right through the censuses (except that I haven't found the deaths of the two Williams yet) - the only one I can't find at all is Thomas. Any brilliant ideas?

Mary, you didn't say if you had this but there is definately a marriage registered between Thomas and Mary in Barrow-on-Soar Dec Qtr Vol 15 Page 59.
    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

There is a Thomas Perkinson in 1841 Rothley - have you discounted him?

HO107; Piece 595; Book: 17; Civil Parish: Rothley; County: Leicestershire; Enumeration District: 9; Folio: 24; Page: 14; Line: 6;
      Elaine

Comment

Ooh, I'd missed that one, thanks!

He's an ag lab, which is feasible, because his father's a farmer on one census and a maltster on another.

It does annoy me that you can't use wildcards in the first three letters of the name.

I thought I'd searched for all the Thomases born 1808 +/- 5 years in Rothley, but I must have given up after Thomas Par* and Parkinson with no Christian name drew a blank. That'll teach me

Comment

Originally posted by geordiegirl View Post
          Mary, you didn't say if you had this but there is definately a marriage registered between Thomas and Mary in Barrow-on-Soar Dec Qtr Vol 15 Page 59.
          I hadn't, thanks. I've only just found the submitted marriage, and I hadn't checked FreeBMD yet. It sounds likely, because the Thomas Parkinson in Sileby was unmarried according to the censuses.

I shall be in Leicester in November, so I'll check out that marriage at the Records Office.

Comment

Can´t see anything in 1851 for Thomas or Mary.
            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              Can´t see anything in 1851 for Thomas or Mary.

Perhaps they emigrated?
              Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                It does annoy me that you can't use wildcards in the first three letters of the name.
                OT, but it annoys me that you can't sort the results of a non-exact match e.g. in order of birth date or place of birth. Unless I've missed something

Comment

I suppose it's possible, although I've found that emigration often seems to run in families, and none of his siblings emigrated, although I think he did have an uncle who went to Australia.

I'll have a look at passenger lists to see what I can find.

Comment

I guess one of these deaths might be his wife:

Deaths Jun 1844
                    PARKINSON Mary Barrow on S 15 18
                    Deaths Dec 1846
                    PARKINSON Mary Jane Barrow on S 15 2

I'll check those out at the Records Office, too.

Comment

New South Wales Assisted Assisted Immigration Lists.
                      Mary Parkinson
                      born c 1811
                      Voyage Arrival Date: 29 Apr 1844
                      Vessel Name: Elizabeth
                      Origin Location: Wrothley, Leicestershire
                      Children's Names: Emma

There is also a Thomas Parkinson listed travelling on the vessel Elizabeth.
                      Elaine

Comment

The first of those two deaths corresponds to a Mary Parkinson aged 48 buried in Sileby. The age probably rules her out (doesn't fit the Mary Brown in 1841).

The other one's an 11-year-old girl.

Comment

Oh, brilliant, Elaine, thanks very much. I was about to start ploughing through Australian records - you beat me to it

That's really interesting, because this is my mother's side of the family; she married an Australian just after WWII, and I'm sure she had no idea that she had any ancestors in Oz.

Off to look at NSW BMD records.

Comment

Can't see a death for Thomas with the right parents in NSW, but I did find this death:

586/1858 / PARKINSON EMMA / THOMAS / MARY / SYDNEY

What a shame. I haven't found a birth for Emma yet - still looking.

Comment

Oh, how tragic.

I've just checked the passenger lists on the NSW State Records site, and the Thomas who travelled with Mary and Emma on the Elizabeth is marked "dv" (died on voyage). They also had another child who died.

The family consisted of:
                              Thomas, 36, dv
                              Mary, 33
                              Emma, 3
                              Betsey, 1, dv

Poor Mary - I wonder how she managed when she arrived?
                              Last edited by Mary from Italy; 15-10-08, 19:36.

Comment

Emma should have been born around 1841 if she was 3 in 1844, but there's no birth for an Emma Parkinson in Barrow-on-Soar around that date.

However, there is this one:

Births Mar 1840
                                Brown Emma Dunerthorpe Barrow on Soar 15 43

and this will be Betsey:

Births Sep 1842
                                Parkinson Betsey Barrow upon Soar 15 34

Comment

Very sad.
                                  Elaine

Comment

I've found Emma, aged 1, living with Mary Brown in Rothley in 1841 - I missed her the first time I looked.

There's an IGI submitted birth for Mary Brown in Rothley in 1812, parents George Brown and Sarah Bunney.

There's a marriage in NSW in 1845 between Mary Parkinson and William Podmore, and a death in 1881 in NSW for a Mary Podmore with parents George and Sarah, so that probably wraps that one up, although I'll check out the various baptisms and marriages at the Records Office.

Thanks very much Elaine and geordiegirl for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by Pipemma View Post
                                      OT, but it annoys me that you can't sort the results of a non-exact match e.g. in order of birth date or place of birth. Unless I've missed something
                                      No, I don't think you've missed anything, although I never use the non-exact matches because I get much better results with exact matches, so I've never really experimented with them.

Comment

I would agree with Mary that you get better results with Exact Matches.
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X