Have just cancelled my Ancestry subscription from 21st October

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have just cancelled my Ancestry subscription from 21st October

My Ancestry subscription was up for automatic renewal, but I am disgusted with the huge price increases for the same content.

I have cancelled and told them that I use FindMyPast a lot now.

I asked them to make me a better offer!

I wonder if they will get back to me.

I'm going to miss being able to go on whenever I like, but I want to see if they will negociate. I have most of my lines pre-1837 so I'm back in parish records etc.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Fingers crossed that do!

I don't think I can do without it yet (I hope Ancestry are not reading this!) - At least not until FMP has all the censuses.

Comment

I was lucky, in that, my subs was up just before the increase so am safe until April next year, but will be intrested to see if anyone does get any reduction before then.

Must addmit I can't afford it again and would be lost without it :(
      www.chrisatstjohns.tribalpages.com
      http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/User:ChrissyConfused-91

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
        My Ancestry subscription was up for automatic renewal, but I am disgusted with the huge price increases for the same content.

Elizabeth, I think there is going to be lots of new content added within the next year which may account for it.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I also have to agree that I would be lost without Ancestry. I have almost got all my BMD's sorted, along with the censuses etc., but there is nearly always something new added to their site. My biggest moan with Ancestry is that they seem to get so far with certain projects, only to stick 'em on hold and divert to another batch of projects. Why, oh why can they not load their projects systematically as it all seems to be 'bitty' and random?

I shall hop off my orange-box now - moan over.............:D

Chris

Comment

Chris, I think it could be that different groups of people are working on different projects - for instance, the people who are scanning in WW1 service records and indexing them are unlikely to be the same people who are loading up the Archive CD Books database.
            KiteRunner

Comment

I have a full subscripton for Find My Past and I find that I use it more and more.

I have decided to do all my research using their resources until I get desperate and succumb to Ancestry again (I shall be very lost without access to their census records). I am hoping that I might get a reply and and offer to re-subscribe at a better rate!
              Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 15-10-08, 18:52.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

My ancestry sub was an Xmas present from OH and mother in law. Here's hoping they are feeling generous this year.

Comment

I'm in a similar dilemma here! Last year I took out subs on Ancestry and FMP which both run out very soon - this year I'm not sure I can afford both but can't decide which to drop! I understand that Ancestry will be taking on the LMA's digitised records which, as all my ancestors are Londoners, is very appealing but FMP will have 1911 census and is cheaper! Decisions, decisions;)
                  Sue

Comment

Sue, we don't think the 1911 census is going to be included as part of an annual Findmypast subscription but it is almost certainly going to be available on a separate pay-as-you-go basis.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Ancestry are offering FTM 2008 Platinum for £29.99 with six months free membership to Ancestry. My annual subs are due next month and I use FTM 2006.
                      Seems like a deal to me just for the 6 months membership? I know FTM 2009 is out but its worth a thought....or is it? Am I missing something?
                      John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                        Sue, we don't think the 1911 census is going to be included as part of an annual Findmypast subscription but it is almost certainly going to be available on a separate pay-as-you-go basis.
                        Well, that makes the decision easier - if more expensive! It will probably be Ancestry now, I'll have to be very nice to OH.....:D
                        Sue

Comment

John
                          That sounds like a good deal to me. I bought FTM for £30 for a colleague who was retiring last month and it only had a 3 month sub to Ancestry.
                          Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

I'm dithering too! My sub is finished in a few days and as I only paid £53.99 last time, I am reluctant to spend £80.

I have done what I set out to do for my own tree, but really like having census available at the click of a mouse and all the other stuff too.

I gather they are not as amenable this year to haggling the price. I may cancel it for a month or so, and see who cracks first, me or them!

OC

Comment

OC, my thoughts exactly!
                              Elizabeth
                              Research Interests:

Comment

My sub renewed automatically in august (whilst I was otherwise engaged with DIY project and other living lol) What really irritates me with ancestry now is that after 3 years of subscription (and access to all that anc.uk had to offer) I feel like a second class citizen as I "only" have a basic membership. I very much doubt I'll renew unless there is a radical improvement to what they offer.
                                JANE

Comment

I am also a bit huffy that a good proportion of my ancestry time is spent submitting corrections!

OC

Comment

My subscription ran out on Monday. I am waiting to see what happens with regards to renewal. I object to paying almost double what I was for the same thing. Like OC, I payed around £55 last year.
                                    There would be no point, other than it just being available, in having the 'Essentials' package for me, so I'd have to go for the full lot. At the moment, it feels like a complete rip off.
                                    Tracy

Comment

Has anyone cancelled yet but still has access??
                                      There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

Originally posted by John_8251 View Post
                                        Ancestry are offering FTM 2008 Platinum for £29.99 with six months free membership to Ancestry. My annual subs are due next month and I use FTM 2006.
                                        Seems like a deal to me just for the 6 months membership? I know FTM 2009 is out but its worth a thought....or is it? Am I missing something?
                                        I've just been looking at that. It doesn't seem to say which Ancestry UK sub (ie essentials or premium) you get. If it was the premium one it would be worth thinking about.

Premium costs £107.40 so 6 months would be £53.70 + the FTM 2008 (£29.99 + £4.95 postage) - total cost £88.64 and you get FTM 2008 to boot!

Even if you didn't use the FTM it would still be worth it.

My subs don't run out until December but if the offer is still there then I would certainly enquire (I use FTM 2005 now)

Jackie
                                        Jackie

Comment

Working...
                                        X