Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thamar - how common is this female name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thamar - how common is this female name?

I'm stuggling with some of my father's ancestors but the name Thamar keeps cropping up and I'm wondering how common the name was in the 18th and 19th centuries and if there was any particular area of the Country that it was particularly prevalent.
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

I have found a few all over the country. It's probably one of those names that gets passed down the generations.
    Tracy

Comment

As a first name?

I've heard of Tamar (but not Thamar) and tend to think of it as a West Country name.

Comment

*Rats* :D

I was hoping that I was going to make to be able to make logical links i.e I can find a Thamar Bugg and her sister Harriott being baptised with the correctly named parents (subject to doubling checking) but I can't find an Anne Bugg with them but when Anne Bugg marries an Edmund Cozens they name their daughter Thamar.
        Bo

Comment

I've got a stack of Tamars in my tree, but haven't heard of Thamar.

I've got one who was born beside the Tamar River in England......and her grand daughter born near the Tamar River in Tasmania.

Comment

Definitely Thamar and from Suffolk. I've got a will of Thamar Bugg from the TNA but still to link her in (if indeed she does but there can't be too many Thamar Buggs around. Can there? :o)
            Bo

Comment

Maybe Tamar is the westcountry spelling because of the river?

See:

Tamar (Thamar) (WebBible Encyclopedia) - ChristianAnswers.Net

Comment

My Tamar was born and bred in East Yorkshire.
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Maybe a version of Thelma?
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

It's a biblical name isn't it? wife of Judah?

Comment

Working...
                    X