Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salkeld/Green, cannot find marriage etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salkeld/Green, cannot find marriage etc.

Hi all, I just joined today on a recommendation. I hope someone can help me with information on my great-grandmother. I've been looking for ages without success. TIA!

My great-grandmother was born Hannah Green (verified) in (not verified) Alston, Cumberland. According to my mother, she was around 73 when she died in 1977, which would put her birth at around 1904. However, the only Hannah Green I can find for Alston was born around ten years earlier.

Hannah gave birth to an illegitimate child - my grandfather - on 26 Jan 1925 in Alston (verified). He is registered as Joseph Green with his mother's maiden name also 'Green'. This is the only record I have managed to find and definitively identify as being my relative. I cannot find a marriage certificate for Joseph Green and my grandmother Annie Elizabeth Robinson, which I imagine would have taken place in Tamworth, Staffs (Warks) around about 1948, or a death certificate for Joseph Green (1977, Tamworth), nor can I find the marriage certificate for Hannah's later marriage to Lant Salkeld (died around 1970). Hannah married again after Lant's death and we don't know her second husband's surname (first name Bob/Robert). I can't find that marriage registration or Hannah's death registration.

I have Joseph Green's birth certificate on order, but I really think it's going to come back 'father unknown'... family legend is that the father was the husband of a relative.

I don't know where to go from here and would be grateful for any suggestions. In particular, I was wondering if anyone knows what 'Lant' is short for. I have tried Laurence and Lawrence with no luck and can't think of anything else.

Many thanks,
    Zoe

I've found a death for Lancelot Salkeld reg 1st q 1977 in Carlisle, ref 1 p.0361
    It gives Lancelot's birth date as 25 May 1904.

I think he's possibly a good fit for Lant Salkeld, he'd be the right age for Hannah's husband.
    Last edited by Little Nell; 14-10-08, 22:41.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

There's a death for a Hannah Mary Salkeld registered Cockermouth 4q 1977, ref vol 1 p.0359, giving birth date of 18 Jan 1891.

Of course this might not be your lady, as she would be a bit older.

Comment

Birth ref for Lancelot Salkeld
        Lancelot Salkeld
        1904 Apr-May-Jun Whitehaven
        Volume:10b Page:714

Comment

How certain are you that Joseph Green married in Tamworth? If you can't find marriage or death registration for him, then I think its quite possible that he used another name, perhaps that of his mother's husband. Though I expect the reality is that there are zillions of Joseph Greens to choose from and its harder to identify which is yours.

Comment

March Quarter 1929 Lancelot Salkeld married 'Green' in Alston.

From FreeBMD

Anne

Comment

Salkeld-Green marriage

on Freebmd:

Marriages Mar 1929 Alston 10b 674
              Salkeld Lancelot
              Hannah Green

If you get this cert, it should give Hannah's age and father's details to enable you to go back further.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the quick replies! The death registraction for Lancelot Salkeld seems very likely, because mum says he died whilst she was pregnant with me - I was born June 1977. One thing concerns me: Mum says she 'got the impression' that Lant was somewhat older than Hannah. Whether she was, as mum thinks, born in 1904, or as Ancestry suggests, ten years earlier, or even as you have kindly found, possibly in 1891, this would make her older than or the same age as Lant if he is the Lancelot born 1904. But ages are difficult to judge, aren't they?

Hannah definitely did remarry after his death - to a man at least 30 years younger, by all accounts. He was considered to be after her money (although who can say...) and all we know is his rough age (mum met him) and that he was called Bob. So Hannah's death would not be registered in the name of Salkeld, but in her second husband's surname.

I am assuming that Joseph Green married in Tamworth as that's where his wife (my grandmother) was from and because all of their children were born there. I have never heard of him having used any other name than Green, and searches of the Staffs and Warks BMD for Joseph Salkeld also gets no hits.

Thanks for all you help!

Zoe

Comment

Thanks both - have just seen the posts about the marriage registration you've found. Will definitely apply for that certificate! It looks like a match.

Comment

I've sent you a private message.

Comment

Hi Zoe

Welcome to the forum.

Joseph Green & Annie E Robinson marriage Q/E March 1947 Sutton Coldfield Vol 9c Page 1843

Jackie
                      Jackie

Comment

Thanks Jackie - that's got to be them. Sutton Coldfield is near enough to Tamworth and the names fit exactly.

Could you tell me where you found the records for Sutton, please?

Thanks,
                        Zoe

Comment

Joseph Green death Q/E Sep 1976 Dob 26 Jan 1925 Lichfield Vol 30 page 0685

Jackie
                          Jackie

Comment

The problem with the more recent events is that most of it hasn't been transcribed yet so you have to trawl through the actual pages and see if you can spot them.

Have you got Ancestry?

On there if you go to "Go directly to Birth, Marriage and Death records" and then "Complete BMD Index ranges & Images 1837 - 1983"

Jackie
                            Jackie

Comment

Found the marriage for Hannah Salkeld: Q2 1981, Carlisle, 1 0260.

As you said the husband was around 30 years younger, I won't put his full name on here in case he's still alive (I'll PM you the name).

Hannah's death:

Name / Birth Date / Death Registration Month/Year / Death Age (est) / District / Inferred County

Hannah Somers / 11 May 1907 / Jan 1984 / 76 / Carlisle / Cumberland
                              Last edited by Mary from Italy; 14-10-08, 22:38.

Comment

Can't find a likely birth for a Hannah Green born 1907. I think she might have been a bit slippery about her age.

Comment

Yes, looks like it - assuming she was born Green.

Comment

My geography of England is very poor, so I don't know if Haltwhistle is any where near Alston, but there was a Hannah Green birth registered at Haltwhistle Jun Qtr 1906, 10b / 418. This is the nearest match to the death that Mary found, that I can find.
                                    Ignore me if it is way out!! LOL!!

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                                      The problem with the more recent events is that most of it hasn't been transcribed yet so you have to trawl through the actual pages and see if you can spot them.

Have you got Ancestry?

On there if you go to "Go directly to Birth, Marriage and Death records" and then "Complete BMD Index ranges & Images 1837 - 1983"

Jackie
                                      Thanks for the info, Jackie. Yes, I have got Ancestry but didn't realize that more recent events weren't transcribed.

Zoe

Comment

Regarding Hannah's age

She was a bit of a game old bird, and it wouldn't surprise me too much if she had knocked a good decade off her age. However, the date of birth of 11 May 1907 does fit exactly with how old she told mum she was and, more importantly, how old mum says she looked. Instinct's telling me here that her birthdate's correct and the entry is simply elusive. Is that likely? In addition, both mum and I vaguely thought she was still in her teens when she gave birth to my grandfather.

Thanks,
                                        Zoe

Comment

Working...
                                        X