War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War

Can anyone please tell me the name of a war after 1865 in which England was involved ????? I've lost a G/G/Grandfather , his wife gave birth in 1865, and on the 1871 census she said she was married but he's not around, I can't get any thing that far back on Ancestry to help can any one help please ?????

Sheila
    I think, therefore I am. Descarte

There's a war timeline in the Wiki

Military - Family Tree Forum

Is it worth putting his details up in case anyone else has any other ideas?

Jackie
    Jackie

Comment

Was he definitely a soldier, Sheila, or are you just trying to think of reasons that he might have been away from home?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

:o Yes Kiterunner your right . The facts as I know are Daniel Bailey born Swallowfield Berkshire in 1847, married Martina Emily Oates in Chelsea in April 1864 he was 19 she 18 years old . Daniel was a Blacksmith . They had a son William Daniel in 1865 all this through GRO certificates. But he ( Daniel ) is not on the 1871 census nor can I find him after that date 1865 . Martina now Emily Bailey has gone home to Mum. Daniel I can't find at all.
        Sheila

Comment

To be honest, it seems more likely that they had separated from each other than that he was away fighting in a war.
          KiteRunner

Comment

Could be, but then he'd have to be somewhere . I am open to all thoughts. He has been in the " to Hard basket ". and has now come up to the top again,
            Sheila

Comment

1854 ~225,000 troops were involved in the Crimean war (by the Black Sea).:
              1857 ~The Indian Mutiny occured. Many of the troops discharged after the Crimean War were recalled to quell the revolt in India.:
              1877 ~The Boer Wars occurred.:

(I do love Legacy - it's a font of info!!)

Marion
              There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

The Curragh camp was built in Ireland in the late 1850's, as a result of the Crimean War.
                All regiments were regularly sent there in turn for tours of training. Wives did go too, but not always straight away and probably not if a confinement was imminent.
                I have a couple of blacksmiths who went into the army to serve as shoeing smiths with the RHA
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Unless he was a regular soldier - or went to be a smith with the army, I think he may just be AWOL. It is frustrating, but I have a few of these. Some were fishermen, so I assume they were at sea, but I do have a gt gt grandfather who is not at home in 1841 and I can't find him. In 1851 his wife says she is a "railway plate layer's wife" but he doesn't appear to be laying railway plates in this country!

Husband has a gt x 3 grandfather who definitely existed. He is mentioned on all 12 of his children's baptisms, complete with his occupation - first clerk, then furniture broker. He had a fire insurance policy with the Sun company. He is listed in directories. But he isn't on the 1841, 51, or 61 censuses and in 1871 his wife is a widow. Haven't found his death. Don't know where he went!
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Sometimes when people were just staying somewhere overnight on census night they are listed as some variant of "name unknown".
                    KiteRunner

Comment

I've even seen entries for "Unknown man. Refuses to give any information".
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Good Morning, Thank you for your answers. As Daniel was only 20 year old and a blacksmith, like his father, I would think that he was in a war,and living in Chelsea make the thought even stronger. Could someone please help by letting me know how I would find out if he was in the Crimean war??? Silly question time are the Chelsea Barrack in Chelsea ????? Thank you
                        Sheila

Comment

As he was a blacksmith I presume you have discovered the website
                          Blacksmiths Index Unfortunately he is not listed there - not in Berkshire anyway.
                          Simon

"You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky ? " (Dirty Harry) - Be lucky; the facts are out there somewhere

http://www.thebirdtree.co.uk

Comment

Thank you for that Simon, Both Daniel's were in Swallowfied Berkshire according to thier Birth and marriage Certificates , but I'll have a look at the site yoiur gave. It should be a good one
                            Sheila

Comment

Simon I have now sent a submission of the Blacksmiths site regarding my 2 Bailey, and will wait to see what happens
                              Once again thanks for that, it is/was a great help
                              Kind Regards
                              Sheila

Comment

Hi Sheila,

Yes, the Chelsea barracks are where you would expect them to be. As for your man, I fear the most likely explanation for his non-appearance is that he has been mistranscribed so that means a lot of playing around with search terms...

Peter

Comment

I see on the following census his wife said she was a widow. When a similar set of circumstances befell my great-granny, her OH was in Australia prospecting for gold!! She then had a bigamous marriage to my g-grandfather. lol The trouble is, your Daniel could be anywhere.......

Comment

As has already been said the Crimea War was 1854 to 1856 and many army people went on from the Crimea War to Mauritius and then on to India to help with the Indian Mutiny of 1857 to 1859. The 1860's and 1870's saw much unrest in Ireland, which necessitated many troops being deployed to Ireland. There were barracks all over Ireland, where soldiers could have been deployed, Kilmallock in Limerick and Thurles in Tipperary were certainly two of the places where soldiers were deployed as both these places had insurrections in the 1860's and 1870's.

However, you will need some confirmation that he was ever in the army. Have you a death cert which may state Army Pensioner? I have 2 death Certs of ancestors which actually state Army Pensioner on the Certs. You should also find at least one census where he would have been doing English duty. Otherwise I would say that maybe he has just gone AWOl as others have suggested. If you cannot find him on census have you tried for another member of the family? I must say that Ancestors is notorious for misplacing many people on the Census. I have had so many mistranscribed on Ancestors.

Janet
                                    Last edited by Janet; 22-11-11, 09:20.

Comment

Merry how right you are. Looking at my lot on mass the men were hard in more ways than one. Daniel and Martina were married in a RC Church in Chelsea not a "shotgun " wedding, well only just, So who knows :o one question pops into my mind How did she know she was a widow???? We'll never know it think

Sheila

Comment

Janet, I have just read your post. No I have not his birth or death certificates as I can't find it on Freebmd. I have this marriage certificate,but as Emily is without him on the census I don't know when or where he died. The Elders in the famliy know nothing about him at all,and when asked we were told he Daniel was dead long before they were born. That would be in the 1920's
                                        Sheila

Comment

Working...
                                        X