How old is this lad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How old is this lad?

This one is destined for the Costume Gallery, I know his year of birth (1879). I think he's about 8 or 9, but OH says 13. I'd welcome any other opinions.

I would have said 12 or 13. He seems to have lost his 'babyface' - if you know what I mean.
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

I think 9ish, as he looks about the same age as my 9 year old son.

Comment

I have a nine-year-old too and I would say they are about the same.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I will go with 9.

Comment

It's a bit hard to tell, but isn't the lady wearing a leg o'mutton sleeve, much more typical of the 1890's? From wikepedia 1890's fashion : "The mid 1890s introduced leg o'mutton sleeves, which grew in size each year until they disappeared in about 1896"

Also you have to bear in mind children, even teenagers of 13 14 looked much younger in Victorian age than they do now, because of poor diet, stunted growth etc. What looks like a modern nine or ten year old could well be 13 or 14 in Victorian era.

Comment

This is a well to do family, health & poor nutrition would not have been an issue and her husband was a doctor in Wimpole St. what appears to be a leg of mutton sleeve is the boys arm round her shoulder.
              Last edited by Jill on the A272; 15-10-08, 17:00.

Comment

yes i would have put in about 10/11 brenda xxx

Comment

Are you sure that's his hand..I'm not so sure, the shape of it seems to match the one on other side and does not look right shape for a hand to me. In any case, sorry but I have to go with hubby... I would say he is 11/12 perhaps just 13 at a stretch, I do not think he is as young as 9.

Comment

I just sat a 5.2 female (average height for 100 years ago) on a Victorian dining chair (20 inches) I shaved the ladies hair off (on the pic) and worked out that he is the length of his own nose taller than her. I measured a 10 year old boys nose and it was 2.5 inches long.
                    So my theory is the lady sits 4ft 4in.... add the length of a nose and he is 4ft 6.5inches tall and that height is that of an average 10 year old. Minus 100 years of 2 inches = 9 years old. Sorry I cant be more accurate lol
                    John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

Comment

I'd say that's above and beyond the call of duty:D

Comment

Working...
                      X