Proceedings of the Huguenot Society of London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proceedings of the Huguenot Society of London

Sorry all - I'm back on Google Books again.

I've found two entries in the index for "Proceedings of the Huguenot Society of London" for George Alfred Hodson and Henrietta Hodson.

Anyone come across these before and have any idea what this is likely to be about?

*sheepish smile*

Thanks in advance

Zoe
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Proceedings of the Huguenot Society of Great Britain and Ireland (previously Proceedings of the Huguenot Society of London) is a journal which has been published annually since 1885. It contains articles and notes on all aspects of Huguenot history, including information on individuals and families which family historians may find useful. It also contains reports of the activities of the Huguenot Society of Great Britain and Ireland (formerly of London), including lists of new members. There are two indexes: the Master Index is a name index which will be more useful to family historians, while the General Index (plus Supplements) is a subject index which will be more useful to other researchers.
    Proceedings

Comment

Thank you Mary

My saviour once again

I was googling but just kept getting it as a reference in bibliographies

Looks like it could be worth me pursuing it in case it gives me a link to the pesky Neapolitans (clutching at straws, I know)
      Zoe in London

Comment

Henry Labouchere’s ancestors were Huguenots who fled from France to Holland.
        (...)
        After a long relationship Labouchere married the actress Henrietta Hodson (her first husband's name was Pigeon) in 1887, and he supported her theatrical enterprises.

Henry Du Pre Labouchere: Merchants and Entrepreneurs: The Twickenham Museum

Comment

hmmm - could be that actually. George Alfred could be mentioned as the father of Henrietta
          Zoe in London

Comment

oooooooh - I think you got it.

The index shows Henrietta and George appearing on page 176 and a search within that book for the word Labouchere shows page 176 and 177 as a history of the Laboucheres and then a pedigree.

Back to the drawing board on the Neapolitans then.........
            Zoe in London

Comment

That seems to be it:

Proceedings of the Huguenot Society of London ... He married Miss Henrietta
              Hodson, a very charming and accomplished actress, whose death he mourned in 1910 in his villa in Italy. ..
              "Proceedings of the Huguenot Society of London" "henrietta hodson" - Google Book Search

Funnily enough, the next item in that snippet relates to Gabriel Maturin, who's loosely connected with my tree.

Comment

I found a couple of snippets for Latilla the other day, which I forgot to post, but I don't suppose they help much:

Dictionary of Music and Musicians - Page 82
                edited by George Grove, Eric Blom - Music - 1955

Dissatisfied with his salary, Latilla returned in 1772 to Naples, where he wrote a few more operas ('I sposi incogniti ', 1779, being the last) and devoted the rest of his life chiefly to teaching, charging, it is said, the very moderate fee of one carlina per lesson to Neapolitans, two carlini to foreigners and three to Englishmen.
                ... sister Silvia was the mother of Niccoló Piccinni. The number of works Latilla wrote for the stage is very large, amounting to about fifty operas, ......
                Another one, in Italian, says he was born in Bari in 1713, and the last one, also in Italian, says he died "a few months after 1788".

Comment

Working...
                X