Ordering marriage certificates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordering marriage certificates

Is it possible to order a marriage certificate if have a GRO ref but only know the name of one party to the marriage? (i.e. is it likely to be successful)

That won't matter, you can order here using just one name:

Registration Services - Certificate Ordering Service

Or you can order through a local reg office in some cases. Which district did the marriage take place in?

Comment

Guess? West Ham It's Lily (sse Mystery man no 1), there are four people on the same page and we have no records of who she might have married.

Since you seem to be omniscient, Merry, can I also ask what an abbreviation of "Wifd" might be in a census? I've found my Penligan family's 1851 entry (not scanned) and there seem to be two other members of the household, an Ann Lear age 22 and a Mary Jane Lear age 7, relationship of both to the head of the household is "Wifd"

Comment

Your Wifd actually says Wifes daur (daughter)
        Elaine

Comment

Well it looks like it says Wife's daughter, but whilst the older one could be either the illegitimate child of Mary Penligen or from a prev marriage, the other one, aged 7, can't be as the change of surname doesn't make sense! Could Mary Jane Lear by the child of Ann Lear who is the child of Mary Penligen?

West Ham! I think you will def need to order via the GRO.

When was the marriage for Lily?

Comment

Hi Elaine

This is the one I'm referring to:

- Ancestry.co.uk

Are you saying Wifd should be read as wife's daughter? Are these rellies then?

Comment

Marriages Sep 1900
              Davis William Arthur W. Ham 4a 137
              Edwards Lily Cordelia West Ham 4a 137
              Franklin William Edmund J W. Ham 4a 137
              Stanlick Alice Grace W. Ham 4a 137

You should be able to sort out who married who by looking at the 1901 census.

Though you will still want the cert, won't you!! lol

Comment

This might be them.

RG13; Piece: 1612; Folio: 89; Page: 20

However, you can still order the cert using one name. If you do mess up and have the wrong spouse, the GRO may not send the cert, but will still charge you! (½ the full amount)

Sometimes less is more! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Pipemma View Post
                  Hi Elaine

This is the one I'm referring to:

- Ancestry.co.uk

Are you saying Wifd should be read as wife's daughter? Are these rellies then?
                  It is always best to look at the actual image rather than a transcription. The link for the image is:
                  - Ancestry.co.uk
                  - but you will need a subscription to ancestry to view it.
                  Elaine

Comment

Cross-posted

This is where things get a little confusing. The four children certainly seem to be John Penligan's children as that ties in with 1841 and 1861. In both 1841 and 1861 John's wife is listed as Elizabeth, here (assuming she's the same woman) she's Mary. My surmise is that maybe she was an Elizabeth Mary or a Mary Elizabeth and either the enumerator only listed one of her two names or she was known by a middle name but two enumerators listed her first name and one by the name she was known by. (This always happened with my father, he was known by his middle name as there had been Johns for at least 3 generations of his family, but official docs always tended to refer to him as John).

If my supposition is correct, you would expect Ann Lear would be living with the family in 1841, but she's not in the census, unless she stayed elsewhere that night

Comment

There's a 12-year-old Ann Lear on the 1841 census a dressmakers apprentice.

Anyway, if you get the birth cert of one of the Penligen children all might become crystal clear! (because you will get the mum's full name!)

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                        It is always best to look at the actual image rather than a transcription. The link for the image is:
                        - Ancestry.co.uk
                        - but you will need a subscription to ancestry to view it.
                        Ah well done! I was looking from the Penligan side, for which there is no image.

I found an Ann Lear of the right age in 1841 but I can't make out the "occupation" in the image:

- Ancestry.co.uk

it's a way away from where the Penligans were living in 1841 but closer to where the Penligan mother was born... I'm into the realms of guess work here

Comment

see post #11 :D

Comment

A guess - but I think the 1841 census occupation for Ann Lear might be Dress m app (Dressmaker's apprentice).
                            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                              see post #11 :D
                              Doh! Didn't see that Merry! :o
                              Elaine

Comment

We all cross-posted, I think!

Thanks once again for all your help

Comment

One last question for this week (it had better be or I'll be in trouble!):

If you go to Kew in person, can you view certificates without having to buy copies, and then just order copies of the ones you know are right?

Comment

NO!!

There are no certificates at Kew and you cannot view certs anywhere without paying (except the ones in aunty's cupboards etc!!)

Comment

What a shame, well it worth asking before making a trip especially from here ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                                        NO!!

There are no certificates at Kew and you cannot view certs anywhere without paying (except the ones in aunty's cupboards etc!!)
                                        No joined-up thinking here please. :D:D

The National Archives (Kew) and the General Register Office (Southport) come under different government departments.
                                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                        X