McLuskeys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McLuskeys

I am at a loss to find the information that I want, any thoughts!

I have my Grt Grandad Daniel McLuskey b 1851, born Londonderry.
    His parents are my problem I cannot find anything anywhere.
    Michael & Helen nee Buchanan, and born Londonderry, is all the information that I have.no dates either.
    I would love to know if Daniel or his father Michael mother Helen. have any siblings.
    I have been right through emerald anc, to no avail. I am still a novice at this, so I could be missing something.
    Would be grateful for any help,
    Sassy;)

Sassy, one problem is that not all the existing Irish info is online, so you may have to go to the record office for County London/derry or pay a researcher to go and look it up for you (or wait). For instance, this site doesn't have any Derry stuff online yet:
    Birth Death Marriage Genealogy Records Ireland - Irish Family History Foundation

Have you looked on Griffith's Valuation for Michael?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Sassy,
      I'm researching in NI too and it's really hard! I have had some success with using a site home page | familyulster.com | providing professional genealogy research which does BMD looks up for £2 a go. So if you have a year of birth/marriage/death he will look for you. He also does research at £14 per hour which is cheaper than going over there to do it yourself as there is very little online, as you have discovered!
      I also joined a forum Belfast Forum - belfast chat | belfast history | belfast restuarants | things to do in belfast - Belfast Forum and they have a geneology section where people will do look ups for you and are knowledgeable about what records are available and where. There are some street directories as well that you can search which are listed on this forum.
      There are no census records left so finding siblings is almost impossible from that method.
      Hope this helps,
      Margaret

Comment

Hi Kiterunner
        Many thanks for your help.I have tried the Griffiths Valuation, to no avail. I will see what the other sites have, that might help.
        As they say the luck of the irish, could do with a bit.
        many thanks again, it all helps.
        sassy

Comment

Hello margaretmarch
          Thank you for your thoughts,It's nice to hear other people with the same problems, thought it was just me!
          I will have a look at the sites you mentioned,as you say paying the money may be my answer. I certainly won't be able to go over there.
          I seem to have come across a lot of McLuskeys, all born Londonderry, we all feel there must be a connection somewhere, but likewise having no luck.
          Very many thanks for your help.
          sassy

Comment

Sassy,
            I think my post No3 is a bit misleading as the census for 1901 and 1911 is/will be available. They can both be viewed in Dublin and there is some online for Belfast 1901 and 1911 if that's any help at all. I had a quick look at both and there is only one entry in 1911 for Elizabeth McLuskey aged 71 born in Co Tyrone, single.
            Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaretmatch
              You never know might be related, does sound possible, certainly the area, might be able to lead somewhere.There is an Elizabeth in Daniels children. so it could be family.
              Many thanks for that.
              Just changing the subject for a minute, I see that you mention Rutland. I lived there for 30 odd years, lovely county.
              Thank you for you help its a great to have a few more ideas. Iam at such a dead end, on my maternal and paternal side, just getting nowhere at all.
              Many thanks
              sassy

Comment

Hi,
                What a coincidence! I've only lived here 6 years and prior to that was 30 years+ in Essex.
                Originally though I'm from Manchester anf my research is in Belfast/County Antrim and Gloucestershire where my mother's family came from.
                Where in Rutland did you live?
                Why don't you post up your dead ends they're great on this site for finding what seems almost impossible to find!
                Margaret

Comment

Hi Sassy,
                  Just having a browse in my list of favourites and came across this site Look Up Scheme might be useful.
                  Margaret

Comment

Hi,
                    Found this website which has a hit for McLuskey by Wendy. Is this you? The hit is definitely your family as you describe above.
                    Curiousfox - Local History, Genealogy, Surnames and Family History.
                    Margaret

Comment

Hi margaretmatch
                      Hmn yes tis I, I think you will find me in every nook & crannie available, in the hopes that one day, it might sound familiar to someones tree.
                      I will try that site in a minute, not used that one.
                      I used to live at Lyddington, where my family too came down from manchester, when I was 7, my mother was scottish from Glasgow,but her family came from Londonderry.
                      What a coincidence.
                      sassy

Comment

Working...
                      X