Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I split a gedcom file?

Hi
    I have a tree on Ancestry and I use a stand alone program Family Tree Builder.

Every so often I get a request from another Ancestry member for info on somebody on my tree , I do not have a problem with supplying the info but it would be easier if I could split a branch off of the main Gedcom .
    Does anybody know if this is possible and how to do it.

In Family Tree Builder I can produce reports for an individual but it does not show all the info that a Gedcom does.

Ken

As far as I know it is not possible to split a gedcom file.

You need to open the gedcom file in a Family History program on your computer, and then export selected individuals (rather than the whole file) into a gedcom file.
    Elaine

Comment

Ah looks like I need a Chainsaw to sever the branch

Ken

Comment

Ken,
        There are a couple of free family history programs you can download from the Internet - PAF and Legacy.
        Click on the Guides/FAQs links at the top of this page and it will take you to some information about them in the wiki.
        Elaine

Comment

Ken - you can definitely produce gedcoms for the different branches on the free Legacy programme. I have only ever uploaded from Legacy to Ancestry so I don't know how well an Ancestry gedcom transfers to Legacy.
          Gillian
          User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

I know where you are coming from on this! I use FTM as well as ancestry, and manage to send the tree from Ancestry to FTM then produce a decendent file for the relevent person as a gedcom, then resend it back to Ancestry to let them see it! but as I recall I can only do a decendent line OR ancestor line, neither are perfect! sometimes you just want a bit of everything!
            Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

With the tree program I use (Family Historian) you can split the Gedcom file.

Basically it involves making a copy of your whole Gedcom (so you have 2 identical copies with 2 different names) and then deleting the people you don't want from one of them. With FH you can select them on the diagram so its easier

It goes without saying that you must be very careful to name each file so you know which one is which - otherwise disaster may ensue

Anne

Comment

I realise that I can just delete the names that I do not want just leaving the branch needed , but we have about 2700 names in the tree and this branch contains about 50 , so a long slow process.
                I was hoping there was an easier way.
                Our tree is a personal one on Ancestry and I do not want to show them the whole tree.

Ken

Comment

Anne,
                  Are you sure you are splitting a GEDCOM file?

To me it sounds as if you are suggesting making a copy of your whole FAMILY HISTORIAN FILE (with two different names) and then deleting the people you don't want from one of them. Once you have done that you can export the file in GEDCOM format.
                  Elaine

Comment

Ken,
                    Download Personal Ancestral File (PAF)- there is a link on our wiki page which is below.
                    Download your file from Ancestry (it will download in gedcom format) - then open the file with PAF.
                    Then export the part of the file that you want the other person to see and either send it to them in gedcom format or upload it back on to ancestry.
                    We have instructions in the wiki on how to export a part of your file using PAF - and if you get stuck there are quite a few experts around who will help you (not me - I am a Family Tree Maker user!)
                    Personal Ancestral File (PAF - Family Tree Forum)
                    Elaine

Comment

Thank you Elaine.
                      I have PAF but have not really used it .
                      I have printed the Wiki pages and will give it a go.

Ken

Comment

Elaine - a Family Historian file IS a Gedcom file. That's the beauty of the program. We don't have to convert anything - whenever we save anything it is in the Gedcom format.

It would apply to any Gedcom file, I am therefore assuming. It really is very easy so long as you are careful to identify each file.

That's why FH users are so happy ;):p. We don't need to bother with all sorts of different files

Anne

Comment

My apologies Anne - didn't realise that.
                          You certainly could not split a gedcom file that has been created using Family Tree Maker, and I think PAF would be the same.

So does a Family Historian GEDCOM file also save photos?
                          Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine

I have PAF installed but have not really used it .
                            I have printer out the instructions from the Wiki and will give it a go

Ken

Comment

FH can save photos embedded into it but it is not recommended because it makes the file so large. Instead the program links to the photos wherever they are on your computer.

The problem with that is - if you move the photo the program loses it. I have learned to keep them where they are! However, the link could always be made again if necessary.

Anne

Comment

It's easy to split a fie using Family Tree Maker but only if you create a tree or a report containing those people you want to split/copy out of the file.

Create the tree or the report containing onlt the people you want to split out and then go to File, here you will see the option to "Export Individuals" in tree / file. This will give you the chance to copy out of the main file only those people in the tree/report, select gedcom from the "Save In" window.

Family Historian has a very good "Split Tree Helper" you can select a wide range of options to select various people and export them from the main file into their own separate gedcom. Read the Help section in the program to see how it can be done.
                                Best Wishes
                                Ron
                                www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

PAF is excellent to split trees

I split one tree by making a copy and deleting those that I did not want to display (very time consuming and painful).

PAF worked excellently to save only the descendats that I wanted. I've used it a few times to extract only the descendents desired in order to share information.

Aside from the functionality (which seems to only be in PAF because it is GEDCOM) the price is outstanding (Free).

Thre is a link near the top of the forum to go to the Wiki page for it. The instructions are pretty good, but you may need to think a little bit the first time you go through the process.

PAF can be downloaded from FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records.

Thanks

Comment

This explains how to do it ;;;;;;;;;Written by Ron O'Neill of Genealogy Printers

Splitting a Family File

Opps sorry Ron just realised you had posted before me ;;;
                                    Last edited by borobabs; 16-11-09, 08:06.
                                    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Still Say PAF is the way to go

I just read through the previous post. It seems like a lot more work than PAF, although I don't believe I was doing the same scenario.

For someone wanting to select only the descendants of a particular person, it seems easier to do in PAF, although it's good to have the additional reference and option of FTM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                                        FH can save photos embedded into it but it is not recommended because it makes the file so large. Instead the program links to the photos wherever they are on your computer.
                                        Anne V4 has implements Projects which can move all your media in to a folder with your Gedcom meaning you can "package" up a whole folder to share, also you can now Export part of a GEDCOM file using the File/Export/GedCom and do the split at the same time.
                                        Jane
                                        Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
                                        "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Working...
                                        X