Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade Directory - Further Info

Hello All

I have just found that on a 1919 Trade Directory, the sister of my great x 2 grandfather, Frances Helen Chryst, is listed as a Fruiterer with a company called Walker & Chryst. The address listed was the Chryst family home at that time.

Are there any sources that I could try that may give me any further info with regards to this company? She is not listed on other directories I have tried.

Kind Regards

Well, you could try local Rates Books, if they have survived, but it is likely that this was"just" a business run from home, rather than a registered company.

England was rightly called "A Nation of Shopkeepers". Millions of people had what were called house-shops, turning the front parlour into a little shop where they sold whatever they could.

Company House has records of Limited Companies, but I think you can only access these records in person...well, not online, anyway.

Google?

OC

Comment

Hi OC

Many thanks for the information. I wasnt aware of the 'Nation of Shopkeepers' before. This was after her parents had both died and there was her and her other spinster sister living at this address that it was probably just a little earner for them as they both never married.

I would have liked to have found who 'Walker' was. I have tried Google but nothing came up.

I will ask at the archives next time I go if they have any rate books that have survived that I could check.

Many thanks for your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
        Company House has records of Limited Companies, but I think you can only access these records in person...well, not online, anyway.
        Companies House does have online access to details of limited companies at

Companies House

You need to choose EITHER current/recently wound up OR long-ceased.

I used to use this regularly when checking on the status of tenants and prospective tenants when I managed some industrial units.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Oooh, thankyou for that, UJ! My information is out of date.

OC

Comment

Thank you also John for that information. It probably wont show this business but good to know if needed in the future.

Many thanks

Comment

Working...
            X