Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did he died & who were his parents

Hi

Can anyone help find out what happened to John Kelley & who his parents were. I've got the following information over the last 3 years.

John Kelley, full age a mariner of Quay Street married Mary Ann Hadden, full age of Granby Place on 9/1/1838 St Mary, Scarborough, Yorkshire. Mary's father is listed as David (died 1850), John's father is listed as 'none living' I don't know whether he was dead or illegitimate. Witnesses were Wm Potter & Margaret Kelley

Their daughter Mary Ann was born Dec 1838, John is listed as a mariner & he registered the birth.

1841 census shows the family at Long W Gate, Scarborough - HO107/1266 Folio 19 Page 30
    John Kelley 28 marriner Born in County
    Mary Kelley 22 Born in County
    Mary Ann Kelley 2 Born in County

They had a daughter Jane registered March 1842 Scarborough

By 1851 Mary & her two daughter were living at Gray Street, Middlesbrough - HO107/2383 Folio 402 Page 7
    Mary Ann Kelly Wife Married 38 Sailors wife Born Driffield, Yorkshire
    Mary Ann Kelly Dau 12 Born Scarbro
    Jane Kelly Dau 9 Born Scarbro

I can't find a John Kell(e)y in 1851 that fits.

Jane Kelley dies July 1852 at Grey Street, Middlesbrough, daughter of John Kelley a sailor. Death registered by Jane O'Neill, Grey Street.

Mary Kelley nee Hadden remarries as a widow May 1856 at Middlesbrough.

Mary Ann Kelley (daughter) marries 1869 father listed as John Kelley a Mariner, remarries 1870 listed as John Kelly (deceased) a Master Mariner.

The IGI has Kelley/Kelly's baptised at Scarborough but can't see how to link them with my John Kelley.

Cheers

Jay
    Jay

He probably died at sea, but it might be difficult to find a record of it. And he was probably at sea when the 1851 census was taken, too.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Mary Ann Kelley (daughter) marries 1869 father listed as John Kelley a Mariner, remarries 1870 listed as John Kelly (deceased) a Master Mariner.
      Are both those years right?

Comment

That's what I was thinking.

The 'none living' on the marriage for the father isn't any help either in finding out who his parents were. The only link is the witness Margaret Kelley, which could be a sister or his mother.
        Jay

Comment

Yep Merry, she didn't hang about! Married 6/5/1869, he died 30/12/1869, remarried 12/11/1870.
          Jay

Comment

Have you tried looking to see if he (John Kelley) left a will, JayG?
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

IGI has parents Michael and Ann Kelly.

Children:
              John - 1814 (age fits with 1841)
              Ann - 1816
              George - 1818
              Margaret - 1820 (fits as witness)
              Scarborough

There is also:
              Jane - 1805
              Ann - 1808
              Cathrine - 1812
              Scarborough Bts

Oh, also a Thomas Kelley - 1824 - in Ebenezer Meeting House-Particular Baptist, Scarborough
              Tracy

Comment

Just because the 1869 marriage cert doesn't say he was dec'd, doesn't mean he wasn't (unfortunately).

Many mariners made wills (in my tree almost all of them!), so that might be an avenue to research, as Kite said.

Comment

To be honest no Kite, i'm only any good with post 1858 wills.

*off to read the Wiki*
                  Jay

Comment

Tracy are these off the IGI too

There is also:
                    Jane - 1805
                    Ann - 1808
                    Cathrine - 1812
                    Scarborough Bts

I've never seems them before.

I've found the Michael & Ann before but because of the 'none living' on the marriage cert i'm not sure what to make of them.
                    Jay

Comment

Yes, all the children I listed are on the IGI. I just put in parents Michael Kelley and Ann, and a birthplace of Yorkshire. Nothing else.

I had a look for them in 1841 and the only one I've found so far is Margaret - Class: HO107; Piece 1266; Book: 8; Civil Parish: Scarborough; County: Yorkshire; Enumeration District: 19; Folio: 13; Page: 18; Line: 19; GSU roll: 464237.
                      Tracy

Comment

This might be the mother - Class: HO107; Piece 1266; Book: 9; Civil Parish: Scarborough; County: Yorkshire; Enumeration District: 21; Folio: 18; Page: 28; Line: 1; GSU roll: 464237.

On her own though.
                        Tracy

Comment

Have you considered Trinity House Petitions (on Origins website)?

This was the only proof of death for one of my Skillings and it provided various family pieces of information AND the ships he sailed on. That meant I could go to Kew and find his seaman's ticket. This may not give parents' names, but it does show date and place of birth.
                          Phoenix - with charred feathers
                          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thanks for those Tracy, i've seen possible deaths for those on Freebmd so have just emailed Scarborough RO to see if Ann Kelley was a widow of Michael.

I've had a look on NA but can't see any likely will, so if he had left one where else should I look?

Phoenix I don't know what Trinity House Petitions are but am off to look on Origins & find out.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Cheers

Jay
                            Jay

Comment

Just got a 72 hours sub & whilst there's a few Kelly/Kelley's listed none for John & Mary.
                              Jay

Comment

Found! John died in 1855 at Dreadnought Seamen's Hospital in Greenwich.
                                Jay

Comment

well done Jay....sorry I couldn`t help, but have been watching to see the outcome....allan
                                  Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                                  oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                                  adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                                  merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                                  coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

No probs Allan.

I'd given up on ever finding his death but have just got some papers from Kew about his wife's family & this has lead to finding his death after about 10 years of searching for it!
                                    Jay

Comment

thats brilliant Jay bet your over the moon ?

Comment

I am Val, he was a marriner so I thought you must of died at sea, I was half right as Dreadnought was a floating hospital!
                                        Jay

Comment

Working...
                                        X