Non-conformists question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-conformists question

A side-branch of my tree has puzzled me for some time now.

George Burwood and Judith / Judah Salter must have got married although I don't have details of their marriage - Judith is referred to in her father Thomas's will as "my well beloved Daughter Judah Salter" with Salter crossed out and replaced with Burwood. The will was proved 1735/6. The Salter family lived in Lowestoft (Suffolk) but some of them moved to Great Yarmouth (Norfolk). I don't have details of Judith's baptism but since she is mentioned in her father's will I know she was his daughter.

Anyway... baptisms from the IGI for parents George Burwood and Judith, with some burials from Family History Online:
    George Burwood 29 Jun 1725 Lowestoft, Suffolk, died 16 Jun 1731 Lowestoft (date of death from the IGI, "extracted record").
    Thomas Burwood 24 Jun 1727 Independent, Kingston on Thames, Surrey - a Thomas Burwood was buried 26th Sep 1727 at Lowestoft..
    Judith Burwood 2 Nov 1729 Independent, Kingston on Thames, Surrey - a Judith Burwood was buried 7th July 1730 Lowestoft .
    David Burwood 30 May 1731 Independent, Kingston on Thames, Surrey.
    Rose Burwood 22 Jun 1733 Independent, Kingston on Thames, Surrey - a Rose Burwood was buried at Lowestoft 7 May 1745.
    Sarah Burwood 30 Sep 1735 Lowestoft, Suffolk - a Sarah Burwood was buried 27 Jul 1755 at Lowestoft.
    Salter Burwood 6 Oct 1746 Lowestoft, Suffolk.

If it weren't for those deaths / burials then I would have thought that George and Judith moved to Kingston for a few years then back to Lowestoft. But would they have gone back to Lowestoft to bury babies while they were living in Kingston? I have come across the odd IGI batch loaded up to the wrong parish before, so I wondered if that had happened here.

BUT, I've just noticed those Kingston baptisms are on the BMD Registers site too, and it does say "Surrey" for them, not Suffolk. I've paid to view the image for Judith Burwood baptised 1729, and the actual image says "A Register of Persons baptised at Lowestoft". But the reference number on the site is RG4/1744 and when you click on it, it says "Register of Baptisms at the Congregation of Protestant Dissenters at Kingston on Thames, Surrey from 1726 to 1785".

Can anybody tell me what is going on here, please???
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Books went with the minister, rather than belonging to the actual chapel. So, the minister might move all round the country, recording events as he went, but the book could end up anywhere... and a good many got lost.

The Vatican has hundred of church registers pre 1537 that RC priests took with them, which are impossible to identify with any particular parish.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thanks, Phoenix.

So there could be loads of IGI / BMD Register entries that say the wrong county, then?! It seems weird that neither site could figure out that these particular entries were for Suffolk rather than Surrey since it actually says "Lowestoft" on the sheet! I'll have to try searching for some of my "missing" non-conformists again in case they're listed under the wrong county too. But what on earth can you do if they have more common names than this lot?
      KiteRunner

Comment

Very difficult. Local people might know if names were "out of area" and record it, but it would be next to impossible to work the other way round.
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Well, if they just put the actual place name from the sheet on the indexes it would help!
          KiteRunner

Comment

Hi Kate,

You are about to have mail.

I have Judith on my tree - her son George married a Mary Butcher.
            Gwynne

Comment

Thanks, Gwynne.
              KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
              X