Does this make me a bad person?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this make me a bad person?

Having reached about the 30th year of fruitless death reg image trawling this morning, I realised I was muttering "Come on, die, will you!"

Perhaps the effects on me of researching my family history are not altogether healthy!!

I will, however, have to do penance for my heartlessness - having gone through every quarter from 1915 to 1952 (when the man concerned would have reached 100) without success, I've just realised I forgot to scroll to the bottom of the pages for handwritten additions, so I''ll have to do the whole lot again!!!
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

I suppose it would make things even worse if I were to point out that USUALLY there is a mark alongside the surname, at the right place in the list, if there's an additional entry at the bottom of the page and had you seen one of those marks (sometimes a x or a tick) it probably would have alerted you to look down the bottom, so PROBABLY there were no additional entries! lol

How much do you need his death record? I'm really lazy and tend not to bother until FreeBMD catches up! lol

Comment

I didn't know that about the mark Merry (go on, now tell me it's in the wiki!!) so, if I'd spotted one, it wouldn't have alerted me anyway lol

I spotted a reference to the fact that Cardiff. gov.uk holds burial/cremation records which they will look up free for post 1912 events. So I was just going to add my man above to my request list for them. Just tidying up really, it's not a vital one.
      Gillian

Comment

(go on, now tell me it's in the wiki!!)
        No idea, sorry!

marriages.jpg

Here's one....a little x

Comment

Thanks Merry - I'll look out for that in future.
          Gillian

Comment

I didn't know that either - thanks Merry

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I've done the same myself 'are you ever going to die' LOL
              Jay

Comment

Equally, I get cross with those who didn't have the common decency to delay their death until after 31 March 1851.
                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Originally posted by Just Gillian View Post
                  Having reached about the 30th year of fruitless death reg image trawling this morning, I realised I was muttering "Come on, die, will you!"

Perhaps the effects on me of researching my family history are not altogether healthy!!

I will, however, have to do penance for my heartlessness - having gone through every quarter from 1915 to 1952 (when the man concerned would have reached 100) without success, I've just realised I forgot to scroll to the bottom of the pages for handwritten additions, so I''ll have to do the whole lot again!!!
                  I know EXACTLY how you feel - and I'm sure you can appreciate my feelings when I finally found my relation who didn't die until she was 106! and although I was amazed at her age my eyes were definitely blurry and I'd nearly given up at 100! :D
                  Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

I always find it harder to find a death rather than a birth or marriage. I did devote some time trying to kill of some of me rellies after somebody complained on GR that they couldnt view a lot of my tree as it was all living relatives.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                      Equally, I get cross with those who didn't have the common decency to delay their death until after 31 March 1851.
                      Yep I know that feeling too Brenda!

lead me on a merry dance that it did!! All I can say is that gawd for the NBI!!

Still dont know where he came from, but at least I now have his death cert!! so didnt dream that he existed!

Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

lol - glad I'm not the only one!!

Phoenix - at the risk of making myself look foolish, what is the significance of 31 March 1851 please?
                        Gillian

Comment

Originally posted by Just Gillian View Post
                          lol - glad I'm not the only one!!

Phoenix - at the risk of making myself look foolish, what is the significance of 31 March 1851 please?

pppssst I think thats when the 51 census was done...

Census Dates
                          • 1901 ref always start RG13 - census date 31st March
                          • 1891 ref always start RG12 - census date 5th April
                          • 1881 ref always start RG11 - census date 3rd April
                          • 1871 ref always start RG10 - census date 2nd April
                          • 1861 ref always start RG9 - census date 7th April
                          • 1851 ref always start HO107 - census date 30th March
                          • 1841 ref always start HO107 - census date 6th June
                          Julie
                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Julie! I was thinking along the lines that something new must have been added to death registrations after that date lol

(PS - I did know when the census was taken - honestly!)
                            Gillian

Comment

The significance is that if you can find someone in the 1851 census, it gives a place of birth, not just a county.

Comment

Gillian...don't give up. I trawled for Mary Ariel after the 1891 census. I did both deaths and marriages up till her 110th birthday. Yes...even the marriages lol.

Eventually Mary found her in an Italian book on Google. She'd married in Italy.

Still looking for her sister. Once again I've trawled marriages and death in both her maiden name and married name even though she was divorced. I sat there like you saying "Come on, just die." lol.

Can't offer much but good luck.

Comment

Thanks Mary. I was so focused on the BMDs that I wasn't even thinking about census!

Libby - thanks for the encouragement. With Bo persevering till age 106 and you till 110, I feel quite a wimp for giving up at 100 lol
                                  (And this is all the fault of OH's Aussie cousin who was over the other week - I'm supposed to be tying up the Welsh loose ends while she tries to incorporate solving some of the Italian Swiss mysteries into her present trip round Europe!)

It does seem strange though to be sitting here almost weeping one evening over the Scottish death register images, (there is always a disproportionate number of those in my research as the images are available online up to 50 years ago compared with 100 years for births), and the next day to be positively willing someone to die!!
                                  Gillian

Comment

What makes it worse for me is my OH sits there saying....."Well you know she's dead, what's the problem?"

I could throw something at him lol.

I know she's not still alive at 176!!!!! It's not the point!!!!!

Comment

They just don't get it, do they Libby? :D
                                      Gillian

Comment

I thought all deaths were there until I couldn't find the one's I knew!!!!
                                        Ah so naive!
                                        Ros

Comment

Working...
                                        X