edward alfred bailey- sussex and victoria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• edward alfred bailey- sussex and victoria

since you've been great with my threads lately, i thought i would ask help with edward alfred bailey.

he was born in 1818, lewes, sussex.

i cant find him entering australia.
    he was in victoria in 1849, when he married catherine kelly at st james, melbourne. certs back then just said names and parish. no fatehrs, or occupations.

catherine died on may 4 1859, as it states on the marriage cert of edward.
    on march 27 1860, he married annie palmer. he had 3 living children with catherine, and 4 dead.

the marriage cert with annie says: born lewes, sussex, a gentleman. the son of what looks like edward inskip bailey, a gentleman, and caroline inskip.
    annie was the daughter of isaac palmer, and annie/hannah groves.

witnesses were william pollard moore and *sselia harrett moore. no clue who they are.

i cant locate catherine's kids births. but annie and edward had at least three children, henry lewis robert bailey 1861, inskip willie bailey, 1863 and amelia constance bailey in 1868.

i cant find edward's death in australia, or him or parents in the 1841 census. annie died in 1913, age 80. i have yet to get the cert. i have found annies family in the census, and may post help with them later. can someone help with edward?
    Last edited by kylejustin; 31-05-11, 11:00.

Possible - Emily Baxter Bailey - born 1842 Pascoevill

Edward Bailey - born 1843 - Pentridge

Julia Inskip Bailey - born 1845 - Pentridge (there is information about Julia here - http://freepages.family.rootsweb.anc...ily/184/62.htm - not sure how correct it is though) (died 1866)

Hance Theodore Bailey - born 1853 - Cobu

Found death of Alfred Bailey age 11 - 1858 Pentridge
    Death for Thomas Terrance Bailey age 1 - 1850 Pentridge
    Death of Hance Theodore John Bailey age 4 - 1852 Pentridge
    also possible Hance Theodora Inskip Bailey born 1852 - Pentridge (died 1853)

Edward Bailey, and Catherine baptised Emily Baxter at Church Of England St James, Melbourne born at Pascoevill 1842 #12800
    Edward Bailey - Bailey and Catherine christened Edward 1843, Julia Inskip 1845, Albert Baxter 1847
    Edward Alfred Bailey Directory 1847 butcher Merri Creek Letter at Post-office unclaimed 27th February, 1847

quoted from http://www.geocities.com/vic1847/b/b1.html?200813
    Last edited by Orangeblossom; 13-10-08, 09:13.
    Tracy

Comment

Before 1851, the state of Victoria did not exist, it was a district of the colony of New South Wales, so you should look at the BDM and archives for records there too. You can search the NSW BDM indexes for free, the Victorian ones you have to pay, but they get good results. Alternatively you can look at the microfiche for free. You can also download the images of the certificates for Victoria directly from the website - no waiting.

If he did not come as an assisted migrant, the records are not as good, but his death certificate should have a column "Time in colony" which can help to narrow down the time frame. Many of the passengers lists for the ships that arrived in the colonies have been indexed and/or transcribed to various websites. I cannot immediately see an obvious candidate, but some passenger lists just noted Mr Bailey or even just a number for steerage passengers.

It looks like the "births" - transcribed baptism records before 1856, are in the NSW indexes.
      V18412623 26A/1841 BAILEY EMILY B EDWARD CATHERINE
      V18453588 30A/1845 BAILEY JULIA I EDWARD A CATHERINE
      V18453568 30A/1845 BAILEY JULIA EDWARD CATHERINE
      V18483613 32A/1848 BAILEY ALBERT B EDWARD CATHERINE

If Edward was here as early as 1841, he won't be in the census in Sussex. If he came to Victoria before then, he came in the really early days of Melbourne's settlement, as it was only established in 1837.

Diane
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

thanks for this, it was helpful, i didnt know they were nsw, i thought it, but the state library has victorian certs indexed from 1837, so i thougt they would have been there.:D

i cant locate edward's death, but it would have the time he was in vic mentioned.

Comment

You will probably find that the early records are in both NSW and Victoria. I think NSW gave Victoria copies of all relevant records when Vic became a state, but retains a copy themselves. Most events will be in the district of Port Phillip. It is good to check both. The NSW "old parish records", these ones that start with a V, are copies of the parish registers.

Looks like Emily and Julia are covered by both indexes. I did a quick search for the death of Edward Bailey with father Edward Bailey and got one hit. Did not go further as it costs to look (just 99c though, but I don't have any credits). On the Vic BDM search page you can be quite specific to get only the records you want, so you might be able to narrow Edward's death by age or place. Don't forget the informant of his death might not have known his parents names, so don't get too specific.

Try here: https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bd...SearchCriteria

Diane
          Diane
          Sydney Australia

Comment

i didnt know you could look at the indexes without buying the certs

Comment

If Emily Baxter Bailey is one of your Baileys, I found a transcription for her headstone at Melbourne General Cemetery (on a CD).

PEREIRA
              Gloria in exc. deo
              Erected by Luis Antonio Pereira
              to the memory of his beloved wife
              Emily Baxter Pereira (nee Bailey)
              who departed this life 8 Jun 1867
              age 25 years
              R.I.P. Luis Antonio Pereira beloved husband of
              Elizabeth Pereira died 4 Sep 1889 age 60 years 4mths
              also son Luis Albert Pereira died 10 Jun 1906 age 21 yrs

She is buried in the Roman Catholic section. There are some other Baileys in the Catholic section but none of the other names mentioned above.

Diane
              Diane
              Sydney Australia

Comment

i know they're mine, because they were born in pentridge, where edward was married. it seems weird that he would marry catherine after all the children were born? unless the cert says 1839, and someone messed up?i'll have to write it down and figure out what everything means.

apart from the marriage cert, i cant find mentions of his parents. i cant find the death for an edward alfred bailey, and i know the kids knew his name, because it's given in full on the marriage for amelia. the parents arn't on the census from what i can tell, so maybe they emmigrated too?

Comment

Working...
                X