Can't have been good.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't have been good.

Some very distant kin of mine - Alfred and Bessie Berridge and their seven children - moved from South Norwood, London to Canton, Glamorgan Wales in 1890/1. They all died there in 1891. What on earth could have happened? Fire, perhaps? I've been looking for some kind of newspaper archives for the area but have had no luck.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Laura

Dysentery? TB? Cholera? Measles? Flu? Smallpox?In fact any of the infectious diseases were still killers back then.

Did they all die in the same quarter? If they did, then possibly as the result of an accident. If their deaths were spread over the quarters, then probably an infectious disease.

I have one family who lost all six children in less than 4 weeks from smallpox.

OC

Comment

HI Laura

I'm a bit confused here. If I've got the right family they are still in Glamorgan in 1901.

RG 13 piece 4973, folio 83, page 51 - is that them?

Jackie
      Jackie

Comment

Yes, they were all very much alive when the census was done, but very much dead by 1 January 1892. FreeBMD is no use for a more precise date.

Laura

Comment

Still confused - is that not them on 1901?

What are the death entries please.

Jackie
          Jackie

Comment

Yes, it is them on the 1901! They died sometime after the census was done but before the end of that year. I don't have death entries - just someone's tree on Ancestry. I've looked everywhere and can't find a proper record of their deaths. It is possible that the person was mistaken, I suppose.

Laura

Comment

So they died before 1902, not 1892???

Comment

I'm sorry - I need to not do this at 2am!

Yup, they are on the 1901, so whoever it is on Ancestry is clearly wrong.

Sorry, everyone.

Laura

Comment

I think you might be right about the Ancestry tree. If they're still there in 1901 they can't have died in 1891. There's an Alfred Berridge died in 1919 aged 67 which could be the father but the others may not have been transcribed yet, females may have married etc.

Jackie
                  Jackie

Comment

this definently needs more investigating

Comment

It may be that they had entered a "died after 1891" note against each individual to indicate that they had found them on the 1891 census but not yet on the 1901 census. I will put that sort of information against some ancestors where they are mentioned in a will, or disappear after a census to suggest where I should continue to look for someone. Occasionally, data on particular software packages gets mangled when uploaded into a different format.

What this would suggest, however, is that the tree owner is not a descendant of that branch!

btw, Canton is a district of Cardiff.
                      Phoenix - with charred feathers
                      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

This is the only Berridge death in Glamorgan in 1891:

Deaths Jun 1891
                        Berridge Elizabeth 73 Newport M 11a 161

Comment

Working...
                        X