schofield from Heptonstall/Hebdenbridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• schofield from Heptonstall/Hebdenbridge

Going back to my Schofield's again. I have added all the details I was given in a book but the book was written 10 years ago so there must be some more information available now. I am just wondering how they came to the conclusion that the Thomas Philip Schofield that emigrated to New Zealand is the same Thomas Pickles born in Todmorden.
    Apparently the Thomas Pickles b 28 Sept 1867 Todmorden is son of Hiram Pickles and Martha Schofield although they didnt marry until August 1867. Hiram died Feb 1868 and in 1881 census Thomas S Pickles is in the boarding school. It is thought that the S stands for Schofield.
    The Thomas Philip Schofield that married in New Zealand 24 april 1891 gave his fathers name as Hiram Schofield and mothers maiden name as Luty. It is thought that maybe Luty was a foster mother.
    I am wondering what sort of proof would they have had or is it just an educated guess giving the fathers name as Hiram.

I don't suppose it's possible for you to contact the people who did the research for the book is it, Gloryer?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

You should be able to write to the author care of the book publisher. It could take some time to get a reply.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Gloryer

I have some Hebden Bridge MI's - there are a few PIckles... one of them has the middle name Hiram. Don't know if it's any good to you but pm me if you would like more info
        CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Something a bit odd here..the information about Thomas Philip SCHOFIELD is on the IGI as a submitted record with no additional info available.

If his parents married BEFORE his birth then why would he be baptised/registered as Schofield and not Pickles?

OC

Comment

HI

Not sure it will help any but there is on this page

Cemetery_Z

Hiram Schofield son of Thomas Philip and Caroline.
            WendyP

Comment

Thanks for that WEndy. We had seen his death before on the commonwealth wargraves site which also gave the address. One of the relations still in Gisborne went to seek out the address and its as if it was never there. There didnt appear to have been a number 24 on that street. I dont know whether they looked to see if there was another building been built over the top but it certainly isnt there now.

I will need to scrutinise the book to see if there are any contact details of the author. I wasnt included in the book as he didnt know of our existence. This is the family that my mum never knew she had.

Comment

I managed to find 4 e-mail addresses relating to the Chase family. The author of the book is a Derek Chase so have sent of 4 e-mails but as the book is 10 years old I am wondering if any of them are still applicable. So far only 1 has been undelivered.
                Fingers crossed!!!

Comment

I had a reply!!

I have just had a lovely reply from Derek Chase.When Thomas Philip SChofield nee Pickles married he gave his fathers name as Hiram Schofield and his mothers names as Martha Schofield nee Luty. So still a bit of a mystery where he got the name Philip from but they think Luty was a foster mums name.
                  What a pleasant surprise as I had almost given up hope as the address was 10 years old.

Comment

Gloria

I am very confused now! Where does the Pickles surname come into this?

Are you absolutely sure the two men are the same person?

OC

Comment

Working...
                    X