Betty Knott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betty Knott

Can anyone help me to decide if I have found the right Betty Knott in 1841 ? Betty was born abt 1824 in Hurst Ashton under Lyne Lancashire ,she married Robert Lees in 1843 St Mary Oldham I have the cert ,her father's name was George Knott a cotton spinner .I have Robert and Betty on 1851-1891 census,it is Betty before her marriage that I'm after .I have found a Betty with a George as father but he is down as a Stone mason ,not a Cotton spinner .They are in the right area ,but what do you think ?

Thanks Nanataz

How many other Betty Knotts and George Knotts can you find? It's possible you have the right person and George changed his job- or the enumerator made a mistake. Or the marriage cert information is wrong.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I wouldn't NORMALLY think a stone mason would become a cotton spinner, but in Lancashire, cotton mills paid better wages than stone masoning!

OC

Comment

Sounds unlikely, to be honest. I suppose you've looked for her under the name Elizabeth as well? And Nott without the K?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies ! I am being completely thrown by the change of occupation for George .There is only one Betty with George as a father on the 1841 census ,.

Thanks again Nanataz

Comment

Don't forget the 1841 census doesn't actually show family relationships. Who were the witnesses at Betty's wedding?
            KiteRunner

Comment

Oh, and what is Betty's address on the marriage certificate? Maybe we can find her family at the same address in 1841 (or 1851).
              KiteRunner

Comment

I've found that George Knott and family in 1851, the one who was a stone mason in 1841, and he has become a Plasterer! The only one of his children who is missing is Betty, so that does look hopeful, but on the other hand, there are so many Betty Knotts around that area that you would need more evidence to be sure you have the right family, such as the witnesses' names and Betty's home address.
                KiteRunner

Comment

Betty Knott

Sorry for the delay in getting back .On the marriage for Betty which took place in the parish church of Oldham ,residence is given as Oldham for both of them ,and the witnesses are a Abraham Jackson and a John Jackson -I haven't got a clue who those are ! Yes George has changed his occupation again in 1851 to a plasterer ,I've followed the son Joshua further on in the census's and wait for it -he changes from cotton spinner to Labourer at stone quarry !!!

Many thanks again for taking the time and trouble to look for me !

Nanataz

Comment

Working...
                  X