Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I be sure I've found the right ancestor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I be sure I've found the right ancestor?

Hi

I'm trying to grace my great-grandmother's parents.

All I know for certain is that My great-grandmother was called Myfanwy Irene (first and middle names) unsure of surname, she married Albert Philip Roberts (not sure if it's philip or phillip). She died on 1st Feb 1966 at age 72 (which it says on her death certificate which another member of the family has) which could mean she was born in 1893 or 1894 - depending on which month her birthday is and I know the names of her children and she lived in Skewen West glamorgan all her MARRIED life (which was until her death) but not sure if she was born there.

I have found a Birth record suggesting her surname is Evans and that she was born in Pontypridd and I have found a 1901 census entry with an Irene Myfanwy (but I am 99.9% sure that Irene was her middle name as her grand daughter had the same middle name as her).

How can I be sure that any of these are her? I cannot find a marriage record for her. There are no living relatives that have any more info on her.

Please tell me that my family tree doesn't have to come to an end here? How can I go any further... could someone please help?

thanks
    jackie

I think I gave you her marriage record yesterday, didn't I?

Comment

Hi Jackie

The birth certificate of one of your grandmother's children will give you her maiden name.

Edit - sorry, I meant great grandmother!
      Last edited by Just Gillian; 11-10-08, 18:37.
      Gillian
      User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Marriages Sep 1914
        Arthur William M to Jones Neath 11a 1878
        Evans Myfanwy I J to Roberts Neath 11a 1878 <<<<<<<<<<<<<
        JONES Annie to Arthur Neath 11a 1878
        Roberts Philip A to Evans Neath 11a 1878 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Do you have details of their child who is your grandparent? Have you got the birth cert for that child?

Comment

This is the easy part, Jackie, because you can get a birth certificate for one of her children and check her maiden name, then get her marriage certificate and see her father's details, then probably with an unusual name like that there won't be too many birth registrations to choose from, so you should be able to find out her mother's name from her birth certificate.

That might be where the problems start, if her parents' names are, say, David Evans and Mary Jones (just as an example) - often with Welsh families you get stuck with people who have the same names as everybody else and it's tricky sorting them out. But maybe you will be lucky and her parents will have unusual names!
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

And did her age at death tie up roughly with this?

Births Jun 1893

Evans Myfanwy Irene Pontypridd 11a 573

Was the 1901 census person you found born in a place within Pontypridd district?

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
              I think I gave you her marriage record yesterday, didn't I?
              Did you? Sorry where was that?

Comment

On your previous thread......don't worry, I've copied it across here, further up!

Comment

The most important thing you need is your grandparent's birth cert!

Comment

ok thank you very much everyone, I will have another look. :-)

Comment

of course.....that's where I got the Evans from in the first place (i'm getting confused I think...so many names and dates lol). My grandfather's birth record and his brother's birth record both say Evans.

Right, so now I have this birth entry for a Myfanwy Irene Evans how do I actually know that it's definately the right woman? Plus there's not mother's maiden name on there as there is for the birth records for her 2 sons??? But apparently this woman was born sometime between apr-jun 1893 BUT I still don't know that it's definately the right person :-) argh......

Comment

Marriages Sep 1914
                        Arthur William M to Jones Neath 11a 1878
                        Evans Myfanwy I J to Roberts Neath 11a 1878 <<<<<<<<<<<<<
                        JONES Annie to Arthur Neath 11a 1878
                        Roberts Philip A to Evans Neath 11a 1878 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Do you have details of their child who is your grandparent? Have you got the birth cert for that child?

Roberts Philip A to Evans Neath 11a 1878

This one seems feasable BUT I still can't be 100% sure it's her lol...I'm making this too complicated me thinks. I think I need the 1911 census....i'll have to hang on 3 yrs :D

Comment

And did her age at death tie up roughly with this?

Births Jun 1893

Evans Myfanwy Irene Pontypridd 11a 573

Was the 1901 census person you found born in a place within Pontypridd district?
                          You're too good at this...how did you find out the June? I can only find Apr/May/Jun 1893.

I looked on freeBMD.org.uk and ancestry (i've got a subscription).

The census bit that i've got is wrong - it says Cowbridge not Pontypridd :-(

Comment

My grandfather's birth record and his brother's birth record both say Evans.
                            Do you have an actual certificate for one of these two, or are you working from the GRO index only?

I would suggest you buy a birth cert, particularly if you know the date of birth that should be on it. That will give you something concrete to work from.

That "June" you mentioned is just what I copy pasted from freeBMD and means the June Q (Apl May or June). That Q fits with the age at death exactly.

Remember how lucky you are that with names like Evans and Roberts there only seems to be one marriage and one birth to choose from! You are one lucky lady! lol

Comment

i was hoping to save the expense of buying birth certificates - I will have to tho it seems.

Thanks again for all your help :-)

Comment

Jackie, you always need certificates, and especially with a name like Evans. It is so easy to go wrong if you just work from the GRO indexes and censuses.
                                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by jackiex_x View Post
                                  i was hoping to save the expense of buying birth certificates - I will have to tho it seems.

Thanks again for all your help :-)
                                  You should never try to cut corners by missing out buying certs. I did years ago and ended up tracing the wrong family. I had 200 years of info that was no relation to me.

Comment

Yes, me too! Didn't buy the cert and followed the wrong family back five generations!

OC

Comment

When I first started out (on Genes Reunited) I had no idea that I would have to spend on certificates but it is the only way.

Good luck with it.
                                      Liz

Comment

jackie it sounds like you have the right family, but get the certs to back it up.
                                        you will never know if you are on the right path if you dont get certs. especially if you come across common names.

all the women in my trees are always elizabeth, mary, jane, and anne. and if you find one with a common surname, you will never tell if that's the right family just from the census alone.

if you want, just research the family through the census for ageneral idea of the family tree. then get the certs, you will be surprised what you find out.

Comment

Working...
                                        X