Ancestry Web Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry Web Site

Does anyone else have the same problem I seem to be getting with ancestry.co.uk ? When ever I search for information that I want and have finished searching, I try to go to another web site. But Ancestry.co.uk always freezes up on me and I have to restart my computer. Is this a comon problem or just my computer - I am using Windows Vista.

I have heard of this happening to people before, but I can't quite remember what the solution was. I think it's connected with your anti-virus software - which one are you running?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I am running Norton Anti Virus.

Comment

I've just nudged up a thread but I'm not sure if it's the same problem as yours or not:
        http://www.familytreeforum.com/compu...lose-down.html
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I had a similar problem a few months ago and it turned out to be a Norton/Ancestry/Vista conflict on both Firefox and IE7. I ended up getting rid of Norton (even got a refund from them) and I now have AVG. Haven't had any problems since.
          Lesley passed away in November 2017.

Comment

Hi Lesley - what's AGV? I'm still having a few occasional problems with closing Ancestry, and my Norton sub has expired, so I may try a different anti-virus thingy.

Bee.
            Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
            COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

AVG is a free antivirus program.

You can download it here (choose "AVG free"):

AVG Anti-Virus and Internet Security - AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition for Windows XP and Vista

Comment

Hi Bee just go to AVG.com you can either buy and download the software or try the free download. You will have to download the removal tool from Norton to completely uninstall Norton first though. I haven't had any problems since I got rid of Norton although I know some people swear by it.
                Lesley passed away in November 2017.

Comment

Vista and Norton have major issues in talking to eachother
                  So, yes, get rid
                  I have no problems with Mcafee or the free AVG software on the Vista PCs I know

Researching:
                  FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

I recently have been having loads of probs with ancestry, so I contacted them, they recommended clearing my cookies, it worked like a dream!

Might be worth a go.
                    Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

Working...
                    X