Another opinion please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another opinion please

I have Samuel Wood on the 1841 census age 6 but unable to find him after that date.. however I pressed "web search " on Ancestry and it took me to 1881 Scotland where Samuel Wood is a Naval Pensioner and place of birth Symer Kegis
    On 1891 and 1901 he just states England as his place of birth
    My Samuel was born in Lyme Regis in 1835 and his father Samuel was a sailor.
    Surely Symer Kegis is a mistranscription of Lyme Regis.

Cannot see the Scottish census images (you need Scotlands People for that) but not sure if you had seen the 1871 Scottish census entry

Saml Woods
    born c 1835 Lyna Legis, Dorset
    Parish: Forgan; ED: Training Ship Institution; Page: 1; Line: 11; Roll: CSSCT1871_74; Year: 1871.
    Elaine

Comment

Not sure if you have seen this either - possibly his service records on TNA site

Name Wood, Samuel - 20 December 1834 ADM 139/213
      Place of Birth: Lyme Regis
      Continuous Service Number: 21260
      Date of Volunteering: 18 April 1855
      Elaine

Comment

Looks like that to me as I've never heard of anywhere called Symer Kegis and streemap.co.uk couldn't locate it.
        Margaret

Comment

I don't think Scotland's People has the 1881 images either, but at least their transcription will be more accurate - I'm sure that Symer Kegis must be a mistranscription of Lyme Regis, though. The ancestry transcriptions of the Scottish censuses are not of very high standard, especially for place of birth and occupation, so it's usually best to do your initial searching on ancestry and then check it on Scotland's People.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thank you again Elaine,
            I have checked before including the Guernsey where his father lived but never found him....even with your info I could not find him on the 1871 census until I noticed you had added an "s " to his name.
            The TNA info will be him as there was only the one Samuel Wood born in Lyme Regis at that time

Cheers
            Colin

Comment

There are 4 pages in the service records on TNA - cost £3.50 to download. Might give you an idea of where he was between signing up in 1855 and the 1871 census where he appears to be in Scotland.
              Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by colin taylor View Post
                ....even with your info I could not find him on the 1871 census until I noticed you had added an "s " to his name.
                I actually did the search using
                Sam* Wood*

- the * acts as a wild card and will therefore pick up the different spellings/transcriptions of Saml/Samuel Wood/Woods etc.
                Elaine

Comment

Thanks again.. I was unaware of the * business , when I find nothing I often use Soundex but this appears to act on surname only.
                  I am glad I got up today

Comment

The asterisk is very useful - you can also use it in the middle of names, for example

Rob*son - would pick up names like Robson, Robinson, Robertson
                    Thom*son - would pick up Thomson, Thompson

Use it for place names as well - for example Lyme Regis is sometimes given in full, and other times just as Lyme. If you use Lyme* it would pick up both.
                    Elaine

Comment

Working...
                    X