albert edgar shaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• albert edgar shaw

my relative was albert edgar shaw. he married amelia constance bailey in 1884, melbourne. he said he was born in essex, the son of william shaw a gentleman, and elizabeth buckingham, in 1860.

his occupation was gentleman and hers was lady, at 16!!
    i cant find him on passenger lists, or the census. i cant find a marriage between these people either. i found an elizabeth shaw, married with an albert in the right age group, but am not sure.

and there is a william and elizabeth shaw on the census, but they dont seem to fit.william was a gentleman on the marriage cert for albert.

on his daughters marriage cert, he was called albert edward shaw.
    can someone help?
    Last edited by kylejustin; 24-06-09, 08:57.

I wonder if this is his birth registration

Births Mar 1860
    SHAW Albert Edgar
    Rochford 4a 171
    Elaine

Comment

I have found an Albert E Shaw with a twin brother in 1861 with their married mother Elizabeth who is a fund holder- no father though although he could of been else where on business at the time? There are two other people- one a servant and one a domestic cook.

Comment

I wonder if this is the marriage of William Shaw and Elisabeth

Marriages Dec 1855
        BUCKENHAM Elizabeth
        SHAW William
        Islington 1b 306

.. which could tie in with the Elizabeth Buckenham on the 1851 census, living in Islington
        HO107; Piece: 1501; Folio: 615; Page: 31;
        Elaine

Comment

Elaine's 1851 finding shows Elizabeth Buckenham as born in Essex in 1837, staying in Islington as niece of Albert [maybe your Albert Shaw named after him?] Barnes, an oilman employing others. There's also a servant in the household, so that sounds quite wealthy. Albert born in Middlesex, but his wife Eliza in Essex, so she's probably Elizabeth's blood relative.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Probable baptism on IGI for Elizabeth Buckenham

ELIZABETH BUCKENHAM
            Christening: 18 NOV 1836 Langdon Hills, Essex
            Parents: JAMES BUCKENHAM & ELIZABETH
            Batch # C041071

Comment

i totally missed that marriage entry. it's late here, so ill check in 2morow, and look at thecensus versus the marriage. the elizabeth with the twins, i couldnt find that family after that census. can any1 else?

Comment

On same page as the Albert Edgar Shaw birth is what is probably the twin brother,
                Arthur Alban Shaw

Comment

i can't see anything in 1871 so maybe they have all gone to australia by then?

Comment

Possible William Shaw with son Arthur and two further sons in 1881. He is shown as a widow.

RG11; Piece: 2441; Folio: 50; Page: 11

Jane

Comment

Just for info, the 1881 census shows:

William Shaw age 45 born Bittericay Essex (presumably Billericay)
                      Arthur Shaw age 21 born Thundersley Essex
                      Edwin Shaw age 19 born Thundersley Essex
                      Pembroke Shaw age 13 born Glatewy, Pembrokeshire, Wales

You would have thought it should be easy to find Pembroke in 1871 as it's not a very common name - but I cannot see him or the rest of the famiy.
                      Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 11-10-08, 12:16.
                      Elaine

Comment

Perhaps his name wasn't Pembroke, but the form-filler got confused with his placename, which I don't think can be Glatewy.

List of Pembrokeshire parishes here
                        GENUKI: Pembrokeshire Towns and Parishes

Clydey seems to be the likeliest place.

This birth???

Octavius Pembroke Shaw
                        1867 Oct-Nov-Dec Cardigan [County:Cardiganshire, Pembrokeshire] Volume:11b Page:11

Poor lad! They'd obviously run out of ordinary names by the time he arrived!

Comment

Still can't find Octavius either.

Comment

I notice Edwin's second name is Rayleigh. Is he named after a place where he was born as well, I wonder.

I can't see any of them on the 1871 census.

I wonder if they all went to Australia, Elizabeth died there and the family came back to England, except Albert who decided to stay.

Jane

Comment

Well spotted Jane! Thundersley is just south of Rayleigh.

Comment

that census ref for 1851 has the father as robert barnes, with wife elizabeth, not albert.

the boys were born in 1860, so they should be on the 1861. is it possible that william married twice? it would explain the welsh connection.

there is a marriage in the same place as elizabeth buckingham's birth, in 1834.
                                between james buchingham and elizabeth dove.

what about deaths for elizabeth and william? is there somewhere i can find emmigration lists?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                  that census ref for 1851 has the father as robert barnes, with wife elizabeth, not albert.
                                  Not sure I understand you. The 1851 census was showing a possible Elizabeth Buckenham listed as neice to the Barnes family.

the boys were born in 1860, so they should be on the 1861. is it possible that william married twice? it would explain the welsh connection.
                                  1861 census RG9; Piece: 1083; Folio: 61; Page: 11
                                  Albert and Arthur with mother Elizabeth

there is a marriage in the same place as elizabeth buckingham's birth, in 1834.
                                  between james buchingham and elizabeth dove.
                                  This would tie in with the IGI christening that Little Nell found.
                                  Elaine

Comment

i found albert, arthur and elizabeth with william in 1871, wales, cardiganshire

rg10,piece 5540, folio 62, page 23

Comment

[QUOTE=Elaine ..Spain;1433537]Not sure I understand you. The 1851 census was showing a possible Elizabeth Buckenham listed as neice to the Barnes family.

nell thought that this robert was albert, and he was were the name came from

Comment

Oh well done - plus lots of little mistranscribed Shaws.
                                        Also E. Buckingham (widow) - presumably Elizabeth's mother.
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X