New convict site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New convict site

There's a new Australian convict site which seems to be transcribing convict passenger lists:

Convict Stockade by HistoryAustralia : Stockade Home

I've added it to the Wiki.

That's great, Mary......has loads of info.

If anyone wants to check they can try one of mine.

Carolina Laycock 1788 on The Prince of Wales. Keep clicking and you'll get quite a bit about her even her partners and death.

Comment

Hasn't been finished yet...but I might see if I can finish my lot for 1790 and 1797. Has the people but no more. Strange that Carolina is done and not them as she married the one from 1790 and their daughter married the son of the 1797 one.

Maybe still working. I'll check on Monday with them.

Looks very promising though.

Comment

According to a post on rootschat, they're transcribing the lists in chronological order, but if you e-mail the webmaster he may be willing to do one for you before its turn comes.

There's also a facility to add your own information to the site.

Comment

im not sure if mine are convicts, they are tricky, all of them, when i try to trace them overseas. i cant find shipping records for 3 quarters of my ancestors.

Comment

Looks like a very useful addition to the resources.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've been fairly lucky with some of mine (free settlers), but there are a few that are nowhere to be found on passenger lists.

The ships that my two convicts were transported on are on this site, so it'll be interesting to see if they have any information I haven't found yet when the records have been transcribed.

I must say I made a serious mistake when I first looked at the convict passenger lists on Ancestry - if the same person appeared more than once on the same list, I just assumed it was an accidental duplication, and only looked at one image, whereas the "duplicates" actually relate to several different pages of the register, with more information.

Comment

Thanks for the link Mary. Hve registered and will go check on what's there for my one and OH's two convicts.

Comment

Working...
                X