1861 help please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1861 help please?

Can anyone find Bertha BETTS in 1861 please? She was born in 1851 at Linton,Kent (Maidstone district) to Ann Betts,spinster. In 1851 Bertha was aged 10 months (b Linton) with her Uncle, John** Betts & his family,including son John*. I cant find Bertha in 1861 & 1871. In 1880 Bertha married her cousin John* Betts (b 1848 in Teston,Kent,son of John** & Elizabeth Mercy Betts,nee Drury). Bertha's father on marriage certificate is blank. On future census Bertha is recorded as being born Teston. Sometimes the family is seen as BATES.
    Thanks
    Kerri
    Last edited by Kerri from Aus; 11-10-08, 06:26.

In 1871 there was a Bertha Matilda Bates age 20 born Teston working as a servant at Bearsted.
    Ref RG/10 /939 /53/ 19
    Moggie

Comment

I was just coming back with the same info Moggie. You were too quick for me!

I can't see any sign on the 1861.
      Gillian
      User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Yes, that's all I've found, too. Her age is 3 years out (her dob is transcribed as 1851, but I think her age reads 24) and she has an extra middle name, but I haven't found a Bertha Matilda Betts/Bates in the BMD records or other censuses so far.

Bertha was actually born in 1850, not 1851:

Births Jun 1850
        Betts Bertha Maidstone 5 369
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 11-10-08, 08:44.

Comment

Do we know any more about Ann? I'm wondering if she married and Bertha took her husband's name in 1861.

Her brother John seems to be living alone in 1841, which is a pity.

Bertha isn't with uncle John and family in 1861 or 1871.

Comment

RG9/499/121/15 This reference will take you to the Union Workhouse Schools at East Farleigh Kent.
            The scholars names are not given, just initials. There is an M B female born c1851 Linton.Could be her if she was calling herself Matilda but no female initials B B.
            Moggie

Comment

That looks very promising.

Comment

Woops! Sorry everybody. Bertha was born May 1850 ,not 1851. And looks like Union Workhouse Linton.
                Moggie- is the reference you found re Workhouse in 1851 census?
                Thanks Kerri

Comment

Hi Kerri
                  The reference is for the 1861 census.
                  Moggie

Comment

Working...
                  X