Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was your ancestor a patient at Norfolk asylum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was your ancestor a patient at Norfolk asylum?

Admissions, treatments and discharges at Norfolk Lunatic Asylum,
    1814 - 1816 and 1834

Summary details of patients at Norfolk Lunatic Asylum

Also articles and pictures on other medical topics

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

What sad reading
    Pam

Comment

I found my gt gt gt aunt Patience Dunt
      'labouring under mental derangement for 25 years' poor thing, in 1834.

Sadly, Patience's great-niece Keziah Bridget Dunt, was also in the asylum from before 1861 to her death in 1892.

White's Directory 1845 says:
      The apartments & galleries are well ventilated, & fitted up for upwards of 150, who are maintained at the average weekly cost of 5s.9+d per head for the pauper lunatics, & 10s for the boarders. The asylum is under the control of a committee of the county magistrates."

I've often wondered whether Patience and Keziah were really mad, or just inconvenient, unmarried women who were a bit awkward. After being in the asylum so long they would have become institutionalised.

One day I shall find out more at NRO.

~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

New Lunatic Asylum Records on Ancestry

Here

Sadly I've also found Robert Dunt and Maria Dunt, Patience's nephew and great-niece, also in asylums.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I came across the new asylum records on Ancestry yesterday and was able to trace my gt gt grandmother's sister through entry into a workhouse infirmary in 1868 when her baby daughter died and then in a number of asylums in London and Surrey until her death in the 1880s. I'd found her in an asylum on the 1871 census, and a possible listed by her initials in 1881 - these records confirm those sightings and plot where she was throughout the time. Meanwhile her husband had set up home with a new "wife" and had numerous children, though he had the grace not to marry until after Emma's death.
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I don't know if the Asylum that was around when I lived in Norwich is the same one in the records, but my friend had to do work experience there, and she hated it. The things that went on then in the late 60's - don't bear thinking about. What it must have been like in the 1800's I hate to imagine. it looked lovely from the outside too.
            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Working...
            X