Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead Ends: Hampshire

Hi everyone.

I've hit some dead ends. Can anyone help? Anything to do with the following would be a tremendous help:

Edwin Miller (1830 - aft.1863, son of John and Elizabeth Miller) m. Anne (c.1835 - aft.1863), lived in Southampton

Edward Miller (1863 - ?) m. Emily Ward (c.1865 - bet.1891-1901) in 1883, lived in Southampton

William Parsons (c.1821 in Southampton -?) m. Charlotte (c.1823 in Parkstone, Dorset - ?)

Charles Best (c.1771 in Lyndhurst, New Forest - ?)

Charles Best (c.1806 in Lyndhurst - ? Southampton) m. Martha (c.1807 - 1889), lived in Southampton

Richard Richmond (bet.1812-6 - 1851) m. Catherine (bet.1813-6 - 1861), lived in Southampton

Thank you!

Laura

If you have lots of Hampshire ancestors, have you looked at the HGS website? They have produced various cds for Hampshire:

HGS Publications on CD-ROM

They cover the period before civil registration, so should be of help.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Hi.
      For Edwin Miller c1830 do you have an occupation? I found an Edwin and Anne Miller on 1861 census where he is a Mariner and they have 3 children. Edwin is age 28 and Anne age 26 so not quite your birth year for him.
      Margaret

Comment

Hello Laura,

Welcome to FTF

I have a disk that covers baptisms in Hampshire 1813-1841, there is an Edwin Miller bap. 20/08/1830 Southampton Holy Rhood, there are various others with John & Elizabeth as parents in Southampton but not at the same church.
        There is a William Parsons bap. 16/12/1821 Southampton All Saints, also Betsey 18/02/1819, Henrietta 25/01/1824, Ellen 11/06/1826 & Mary Ann 22/01/1830. Can't find a Richard Richmond. Hope this may help.
        Janet ;)

Researching - Curr, Woolven, Beeden, Haslett, Shurey, Barton, Slade & Harding.

Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain.

Comment

hi laura
          i just wish to add two things if you are anywhere near southhamton their achives and library are brillant for southhamton rellys

and 2 there is a parkstone which is part of poole now
          tink
          wye surrey/london/birmingham
          lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
          hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
          ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
          herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
          armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

Laura, I know this may seem a silly question, but are you trying to trace them back or forwards?
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oops, forgot to say that the Parson parents were Alexander & Harriet
              Janet ;)

Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain.

Comment

1891 census, all born in Southampton.

Alice Miller 1/12
                Edward Miller 28
                Emily Miller 26
                John Miller 4
                William Miller 6

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

Alice Miller 10
                Edward Miller 37
                Ellen Miller 8
                John Miller 14
                Last edited by Guest; 10-10-08, 20:10.

Comment

Phoenix - Thanks, I'll look into that.

Margaret - Yes, he's a mariner. I have that census too! The difficulty is finding Edwin's parents.

Janet - Thank you! I'll look into those. These other Edwins baptised in Southampton... why did you pick that one?

Tink - Southampton Library, you say? I thought I'd need to head up to Winchester to see records. Southampton's a lot easier for me.

KiteRunner - Not a silly question at all - I should have been more explicit. Backwards.

Susan - Thanks, I've got those!

Laura

Comment

details and times below same building diffent entances

the acrhive ladies are lovely very helpful

the southhamtom parish records are there

they are indexing them at moment not all done

if you go the speacil colletions bit of the central libray they have books of type writren trancriptions of the most churchs of south hamtion which i think easier than seaching thought loads of cards till you get the right one. you then go and see the parish reg in the archive and check it all there
                    here are the opening time

Archives

Family History Collection

hope this helps

there is also some on gr message board doing hampshire lookup as well
                    tink
                    wye surrey/london/birmingham
                    lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
                    hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
                    ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
                    herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
                    armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

Thanks, Tink, that's fantastic!

Laura

Comment

Hello Laura,

Sorry it wasn't very clear, I meant that there were other children, with different first names, who had parents with the same names as Edwin. There was only one Edwin Miller on the disk in Southampton for the time period of the disk,
                        Janet ;)

Comment

Oh, great. That really helps!

Comment

Working...
                          X