23 Children??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 23 Children??

Just found a link to my tree where a chap appears to have fathered 23 children by 2 wives At a quick glance dates look correct. I'm amazed!!! Is this a record or have you found more??
    Elaine

Researching - Weatherall, Spenceley, Readman, Conquer

There's probably quite a few with more! Not on my tree though!

The max on my tree is my 4xg-grandfather, who had nine children with each of two wives over a 40 year time span. Glutton for punishment, really! lol

Comment

Most on my tree is 14 children, but when I was at school there was a family with 23 or 24 children, just 1 mother. They had a child in every school year from 5 to 15 some older working and some younger still to start school. Father won the pools and took a few of the oldest children to Australia. Bet his poor wife was glad to see the back of him:D
      Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

I on my tree ,married 3 x , fathered 23- 26 or more children and died aged 104, kept him young at heart??????

rosy

Comment

I have one with 22 children to 2 wives, but i think someone on here had more than that.

Sylvia
          Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
          Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
          Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

A GR contact has one of my ancestors producing that many from the same wife with over 50 years between the youngest & eldest...
            Last edited by Jill on the A272; 10-10-08, 13:38. Reason: clarity

Comment

They probably got that from the IGI, Jill!
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I know a family who have 23 children now..... at this present time and all born to the same mother and father
                With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

23 children divided by 2 wives works out at about 11 each.

This is slightly larger than the average family I've found in my tree, though family size reduces with time.

So the families of 12 or so in 1800 become families of 8 by 1880 and 6 or 4 by 1900.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Not in my tree, but in the Scots Magazine for 1784 this death is recorded:

[July] 28. At Mundole, near Forres, John Thomson, day-labourer, aged 107; who had by his first wife 28 children, and by a second 17; was father to 45, grandfather to 86, great-grandfather to 97, and great-great-grandfather to 23; in all 251. He retained his senses, and followed his usual employment, to the day preceding his death.

That will take some beating!:D

Comment

29 children by three wives over 49 years!

Very confusing because wives one and three had the same first name, but COULDN'T have had children 49 years apart.

Took me ages to work it out - I thought I had three men with the same name.

OC

Comment

Grandson's other grandmother has told me that her mother was one of 9 children and that lady's grandparents had 24 children.
                        One day I'll help investigate this line for my grandson..........

Comment

Originally posted by Roger in Sussex View Post
                          Not in my tree, but in the Scots Magazine for 1784 this death is recorded:

[July] 28. At Mundole, near Forres, John Thomson, day-labourer, aged 107; who had by his first wife 28 children, and by a second 17; was father to 45, grandfather to 86, great-grandfather to 97, and great-great-grandfather to 23; in all 251. He retained his senses, and followed his usual employment, to the day preceding his death.

That will take some beating!:D
                          I wonder if some of those great- and great-great-grandchildren were descended from him down more than one line? If his family is anything like mine then they would be!
                          Last edited by KiteRunner; 10-10-08, 23:06. Reason: missed out quote
                          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                            I wonder if some of those great- and great-great-grandchildren were descended from him down more than one line? If his family is anything like mine then they would be!
                            my scottish ancestors did that

Comment

was father to 45, grandfather to 86
                              Sounds as if his children were put off large families!

My grandparents had 14 children but only nine grandchildren!

Comment

Or if you want to save time and just try for another boy....

1841, Bishopwearmouth, Sunderland. (fam no 59595.4)
                                John Gray, 50, Shipbroker.
                                Elizabeth, 50
                                Ann, 25
                                Elizabeth, 25
                                Margaret, 20
                                John, 20
                                Julia, 15
                                Mary, 15
                                Emma, 10
                                Ellen, 10
                                James, 10

Comment

Southwick

LOL!

But they may not be twins as ages were rounded to the nearest 5 below, for people above 10 years. some enumerators didn't quite get the hang of that, and rounded everyone to the nearest 5.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                                    Sounds as if his children were put off large families!

My grandparents had 14 children but only nine grandchildren!
                                    Another couple I know had 16 children over 18yrs (two died in infancy) only 10 of the remaining children have gone on to have children of their own giving the couple 31 grandchildren so far aged between 26yrs and 6yrs.

They also have 8 Great Grandchildren aged between 7yrs and 6mths.

When the family get together it's crazy :D
                                    With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Working...
                                    X