Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sussex Marriage Records -1823-1836 for Richard Gadd

:D hello everyone,
    have been away awhile travelling and have come home with a few more questions about my Gadd family.

I am looking for a marriage record for Richard Gadd-to a Mary???-- between the years 1823 and 1841

Richard Gadd , s/o Henry & Jane (Lawrence), was christened 14 Jun 1792
    at Graffham (close to Heyshott - & Cocking).a bit later than his reported
    birth year of 1786/9.

Richard died in 1872--from 1851 until his death , census records shows him as a widow.

-He married his first wife Alice Symonds of Earnley in 1817. Have not seen any other name for her other than Alice.
    They had one son (Richard Symonds) and 3 daughters, Alice, Emma and last child,Elizabeth Ann, born 1823.

-Richard is seen in 1841 census at home with his family at Barlavington, Sussex but the female that could be his wife has a given name of Mary ,not Alice.

-Am thinking that Alice died and he remarried. I have not found a record for her death as yet.

IGI shows 2 marriages for a Richard Gadd during years 1823-1836--
    ** Mary Willshire.....marriage at Portsea Hampshire 26 JUL 1831 St Mary

**Mary Barradale 06 NOV 1832 Shepshed, Leicester, England

Is there some wonderful person here who can help me find these marriage records to see if this Richard Gadd was a widower when he married one of these Mary's?

-I have found a few death dates for a Mary Gadd that would fit ,but as yet have not ordered any.

With thanks for your help

Pat
    Forever will be "digging" for ancestors -

The new Gadd Family Tree--there are 6 highlighted family lines now! We are growing!!

http://gaddfamily.tribalpages.com
    no password required.

sounds problematic pat!! but then again, our gadd's are very difficult!

Comment

The Sussex Marriage Index is supposed to be complete for unions before GRO in 1837.
      There is no marriage for Richard after the 1817 one. He may however, have wed out of the county...
      Bridget

Comment

I would be interested in any info regarding your Richard Gadd. His sister Martha married my 1c6r John Neal.
        From my files:

Married by licence on the 13th Feb 1817 at Earnley
        Richard Gadd of Cocking several years, bachelor, farmer aged 21 years and up
        and Alice Symonds of Earnley several years, spinster.

Richard Simmons (Symonds) Gadd son of Richard & Alice was christened 26/MAR/1818 Earnley Sussex
        This Richard S. Gadd who went on to be a farm bailiff or manager
        (died at Lambourn, Berkshire in 1893)
        Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Have you considered the Mary Gadd with him in 1841 might not be his wife? Sister, sister-in-law, other more distant relation.

Mary was recorded as aged 45 in 1841.

There are no deaths or marriages for a Mary Gadd between 1941 and 1851 in Chichester.

In 1851 there's a Mary Gadd aged 57 unmarried b Farlington (?) Hants living in Chichester. She is still there in 1861 and then there's a death in Q4 1861.

I just wondered if she might be the 1841 lady?

Comment

Oh, having said that, there are two Mary's on the 1841!! lol

Comment

It might be worth checking whether there are children baptised to either or both of those IGI couples in the areas where they married so you can rule them out.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Grampa Jim View Post
                I would be interested in any info regarding your Richard Gadd. His sister Martha married my 1c6r John Neal.
                From my files:

Married by licence on the 13th Feb 1817 at Earnley
                Richard Gadd of Cocking several years, bachelor, farmer aged 21 years and up
                and Alice Symonds of Earnley several years, spinster.

Richard Simmons (Symonds) Gadd son of Richard & Alice was christened 26/MAR/1818 Earnley Sussex
                This Richard S. Gadd who went on to be a farm bailiff or manager
                (died at Lambourn, Berkshire in 1893)
                hello Jim, I tried the link you left in our guestbook on out tribal pages site , :(unfortunately it doesn't work. Please contact me at
                pats@thegeneseeker.com

The new Gadd Family Tree--there are 6 highlighted family lines now! We are growing!!

no password required.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                  sounds problematic pat!! but then again, our gadd's are very difficult!
                  :Djust a little challenge kyle-- what is life without a few of those?-- LOL
                  Pat

no password required.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                    Have you considered the Mary Gadd with him in 1841 might not be his wife? Sister, sister-in-law, other more distant relation.

Mary was recorded as aged 45 in 1841.

There are no deaths or marriages for a Mary Gadd between 1941 and 1851 in Chichester.

In 1851 there's a Mary Gadd aged 57 unmarried b Farlington (?) Hants living in Chichester. She is still there in 1861 and then there's a death in Q4 1861.

I just wondered if she might be the 1841 lady?
                    Hi MMM--yes actually, I had considered this Mary could have been a relative-- he did not have a sister Mary, and none of his brother's married a Mary-- have not gone further than that.
                    That is why I have been searching to find if the Richard Gadd who married either one of these Mary's was a widower. :(Oh, these Gadd's can lead me in circles!!!

I have not checked into these other Mary's you have mentioned --hmmm--another path to source.
                    Thank you--Pat

no password required.

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                      It might be worth checking whether there are children baptised to either or both of those IGI couples in the areas where they married so you can rule them out.
                      ;)Thank you for this suggestion-- I can go do that right now--
                      all of you here are so helpful. Thanks
                      Pat

no password required.

Comment

Originally posted by BridgetM View Post
                        The Sussex Marriage Index is supposed to be complete for unions before GRO in 1837.
                        There is no marriage for Richard after the 1817 one. He may however, have wed out of the county...
                        Thank you Bridget for looking into and finding this information-- -- now I can start looking elsewhere--

Pat

no password required.

Comment

I wonder what happened to Mary (whoever she was) after 1841?

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                            I wonder what happened to Mary (whoever she was) after 1841?
                            well Merry-- there are a few "what if`s"to this

let's say this Mary did marry Richard Gadd somewhere between 1823 and 1841. She may have died before the 1851 census was taken as that is when Richard shows up as a widow, and with his kids. it is unfortunate that the 1841 census was not a bit more informative isn't it?

;)of course numerous Mary Gadd's died during this time and none saying Barlavington, though one at Portsea looked good-- my cousin has found that it is not her-- so--- what to do now-- certainly can`t order all those certificates--

I think my "grey matter" has come to a stop today--

I have also been looking for a death record for Richard's first wife Alice, to no avail--

:Dtiz a circle I am spinning in-- again!-- ha ha ha

thanks for your interest Merry-- I do appreciate it.
                            Pat

no password required.

Comment

pat, have u looked for a will for alice? its possible she had things to take care of.

Comment

I just wanted to say Hi as I am researching in that area of West Sussex too. Tuppers et al from Graffham and Woolavington.

Have you considered that the enumerator might just have written the wrong name for Richards wife ?

I cannot remember who the enumerator was for Barlavington for 1841, but having seen the parish records for Woolavington and Graffham, their record keeping was less than perfect.

So if you cannot find any evidence of Alice dying, evidence of Richard marrying Mary or Mary after 1841, could it just be an error in the census ? I have seen it before, even in the parish records, sometimes the wrong wifes name recorded, so why not the census ?

Diane

Seeking Tuppers, Potes, Bartletts, Berrymans, Boxalls, Challens in Graffham, Woolavington and Cocking. Harwoods in Sutton, Dawtreys in Petworth.
                                Diane
                                Sydney Australia
                                Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

There's a marriage listed in Freebmd for Mar 1846, Westhampnett (which covers Graffham etc, although Barlavington seems to be Chichester Reg District) for one Mary Gadd to Joseph Muggeridge. It might be worth checking out who she was, and who her father was. I would think it to be the Mary born to Henry and Charlotte Gadd in 1814, but you might be able to find them inthe 1851 census, just to see if they have any link to John Gadd ?

I still think Mary might really be Alice though, and just recorded wrongly.

Diane
                                  Diane
                                  Sydney Australia

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
                                    There's a marriage listed in Freebmd for Mar 1846, Westhampnett (which covers Graffham etc, although Barlavington seems to be Chichester Reg District) for one Mary Gadd to Joseph Muggeridge. It might be worth checking out who she was, and who her father was. I would think it to be the Mary born to Henry and Charlotte Gadd in 1814, but you might be able to find them inthe 1851 census, just to see if they have any link to John Gadd ?

I still think Mary might really be Alice though, and just recorded wrongly.

Diane
                                    thanks Dicole for all of your thoughts as well--

that Mary, d/o Henry and Charlotte-- married Edwin Combes
                                    Gadd, Mary, b. 1814
                                    Graffham,Sussex
                                    d. 18 Sep 1879
                                    Portsea
                                    e. Baptism
                                    31 Nov 1814
                                    Graffham,Sussex
                                    m. Combes, Edwin
                                    09 Jan 1844
                                    Petworth
                                    d. 31 Jan 1888

yes there is that strong possibility that the census was transcribed incorrectly--
                                    I did find this yesterday on Family History Online--actually the only one with a refernce to a husband.

MARY GADD buried 30 Jan. 1849 age 64 at Loughborough, All Saints,--comments --wife of Richard., However this is quite a distance away from where they were in 1841.

There is another death I am now looking into after looking at maps of the areas where this family lived--
                                    Mary Gadd in the period 1841-1851 registered in Farnham, Surrey.
                                    This is assuming that Mary Gadd was Richard's
                                    second wife. At least the GRO send back a 4 pounds refund out of the 7 if I
                                    provide a checking reference that Mary was wife to Richard. So that's not too bad.

I noticed you have Bartletts in your ancestors names-- we also have Bartletts connected to Gadd's
                                    Joseph Bartlett, s/oJohn Bartlett married Lucy Gadd 30 Oct., 1855, St. Nicholas Church, Sussex. They had 2 daughters, both born in India, Amy and May.They did come back to Sussex .

Thanks, Pat

no password required.

Comment

My 4xg greandmother was Frances Bartlett, daughter of James Bartlett of Fittleworth ? and Elizabeth Pullin, was baptised at barlavington in 1792.

Her daughter Eliza Harwood (b at Sutton) married Charles Tupper of Graffham/Woolavington in 1839. Charles and Eliza came to NSW in 1863.

I dig around for a bit more on the Bartletts and see if Joseph turns up connected to mine

Diane
                                      Diane
                                      Sydney Australia

Comment

Working...
                                      X