Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Winner of WDWTYA? 9th October 2008 is.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Winner of WDWTYA? 9th October 2008 is.....

skingers2

Well done!!!

Congratulations

Many congratulations, and here's hoping you discover lots with everyone's help.
    All the best - Val

Comment

Wow!!!!
      What can I say I don't usually win anything. So where do I begin?
      O.K. Can anyone help with my 3x great grandad :
      William Cunningham b1824 d 1864 (we think.) The family gossip is that he was murdered on his way home from a horsefair ... hit on the head and left to die in a ditch.
      Any suggestions as ro how I go about finding out?
      Thanks Ros

Comment

Sorry
        probably not enough info there .... William was married to Martha (b1834 d 1891) who remarried in 1867 to Anthony Garvey) and my relatives are direct links to the son Richard Cunningham b 1853 ... an earthenware dealer who married Jane Ann Appleby( b 1856) in 1872 in Belmont Durham. On the wedding certificate Richards father is stated as Henry Cunningham but we believe he was an uncle.

Comment

Can you give us a bit more information please, Ros, such as: where did he live, who did he marry, who were his children? Then we will have something to go on! My general advice would be to get a copy of his death certificate and look in local papers for the area, but it will be easier to come up with more specific info when we know whereabouts it happened.

(Must have typed that while you were typing yours, lol! Now I'll read your second post!)
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Not sure where he died but know there is a William Cunningham buried in Lincolnshire who is about the right age. Horse fairs were held in lots of places though so he could have died anywhere. The family were listed always as hawkers and we believe there were horse trading links with the Lindsley family also from the Durham area.
            Ros

Comment

Thanks for adding the info, Ros. This might be one of those where we have to go backwards to go forwards, and cover ground that you've already done, so please bear with us while we post up census info etc that you already have, lol!

Presumably this is your family in 1881:
              24 Hope Street, Bishopwearmouth, Durham
              Rich. Cunningham Head Mar 25 Pedlar Yorkshire Darlington
              Jane Ann Do Wife 24 Durham City
              Hannah Do Daur 4 Scholar Northumberland Newcastle Tyne
              John Do Son 2 Durham City
              Charles Cunningham Son 6 mos Durham Sunderland
              Henry Do Lodger Un 23 Pedlar Do Do
              Mary Do Do Do 25 Do Do
              Calib Adams Do Do 19 Do Yorks Whiteley(?)
              KiteRunner

Comment

Possible for the 1861 census - although Ros has said Richard was born 1853.

Wm Cunningham age 37 - occ pot hawker
                Martha Cunningham age 27
                Mary Cunningham age 5
                Richard Cunningham age 3
                William Cunningham age 1

living Brampton Bierlow, Yks

RG9; Piece: 3510; Folio: 111; Page: 23
                Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 10-10-08, 13:45.
                Elaine

Comment

Another line of research involves John Worrall b 1798 in Ireland the 1851 census has him down as a Chelsea pensioner and shoemaker. How can I find out how he got to be a Chelsea pensioner at age 53? He lived in Carlisle and was married to Grace ( 1807 -1874) I can't find their marriage either and do not know her maiden name but their first child also John was born in Ireland in 1836.
                  Thanks
                  Ros

Comment

1871 for Garvey/Cunningham family

John Cunningham 7
                    Mary Cunningham 15
                    Peter Cunningham 9
                    Richard Cunningham 13
                    William Cunningham 11
                    Anthony Garvey 46
                    Anthony Garvey 2
                    Jane Garvey 17
                    John Garvey 19
                    Martha Garvey 37

living Bridlington St Mary

RG10; Piece: 4811; Folio: 22; Page: 15
                    Elaine

Comment

Yes you both have them - the dates for richard are confused on the marriage cert 1872 his age is given as 19.
                      Ros

Comment

Still working on the first one! Just found Anthony and Martha Garvey on the 1871 census at Bridlington, Yorkshire, and they have Richard with them, age 13 and birthplace Selby, Yorkshire, so I'm just wondering whether Martha's son Richard is actually a different person from Jane Ann's husband? There is a Richard Cunningham age 17 born Darlington who is a boarder in Hetton-le-Hole in 1871.

Can you confirm that the 1881 family I posted up is yours, please, Ros? And which of Richard's children are you descended from?
                        KiteRunner

Comment

William and Martha's son Richard is age 3 on the 1861 census, and young children's ages are usually relatively accurate, so it seems unlikely that he is the same Richard who passed for 19 in 1872.
                          KiteRunner

Comment

The 1881 census shows a Richard Cunningham born 1858 Selby - occupation licensed hawker
                            RG11; Piece: 4724; Folio: 146; Page: 18
                            - this one would tie in with the son of William and Martha.
                            Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine
                              Fanily thoughts were that Richard was not happy living with the Garveys and left to be with Henry his uncle and his auntie Mary,
                              Ros

Comment

I'm trying to find another Richard in 1861 and having no luck at the moment! And I suppose he should be with Henry born around 1857-8 and Mary born about 1855-6 who are with him on the 1881. Maybe if we find Henry and Mary in 1871 it will help? I know that the Selby Richard has a sister called Mary of the same age, but I wonder if there is another one...
                                KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post

Presumably this is your family in 1881:
                                  24 Hope Street, Bishopwearmouth, Durham
                                  Rich. Cunningham Head Mar 25 Pedlar Yorkshire Darlington
                                  Jane Ann Do Wife 24 Durham City
                                  Hannah Do Daur 4 Scholar Northumberland Newcastle Tyne
                                  John Do Son 2 Durham City
                                  Charles Cunningham Son 6 mos Durham Sunderland
                                  Henry Do Lodger Un 23 Pedlar Do Do
                                  Mary Do Do Do 25 Do Do
                                  Calib Adams Do Do 19 Do Yorks Whiteley(?)
                                  - so if this is your family then I think we can ignore the Richard Cunningham, son of William and Martha for the moment.

Originally posted by skingers2 View Post
                                  On the wedding certificate Richards father is stated as Henry Cunningham but we believe he was an uncle.
                                  What was the occupation for Henry?
                                  Elaine

Comment

Ros, who were the witnesses at Richard and Jane Ann's wedding, please?
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

Now I'm
                                      Richard and Jane Ann' s children were
                                      Hannah 1877
                                      John 1879
                                      Charles Todd Appleby 1880
                                      Henry 1882
                                      Elizabeth 1886
                                      Christina 1888
                                      and Louisa 1889
                                      Christina is my great grandmother. When her mother died in 1891 she was looked after by nuns. I am in touch with Charles and Louisa's descendants who are also keen to find out.
                                      I do wish I could type faster!!!

Comment

Witnesses at the wedding were Thomas Lindsley and Hannah Cunningham and occupation of Henry was Hawker.

Comment

Working...
                                        X