Islington researchers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Islington researchers

Here's a gem for anyone researching in Islington.

Islington Council

Over 900 photos of people, places, maps, bills, buildings, books, Hospitals, Certificates, workhouses, even a work house reciepe for plum pudding!
    If you click on view collection on the left hand side and then click browse rather than search, you'll be there for a good hour or more just looking through!

The museum opened fairly recently and I might just take a visit just to have a gander!

If I push the Arsenal FC part of it I might get in there with OH next time we are that way.

Comment

The new Arsenal Emirates stadium has been built over where my great-grandparents had their first married home together. When I go to London I go past the stadium and then the Holloway Road - off which is George's Road, where my grandmother was born 1876.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Why isn't the museum open on Sunday? *wails*
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Peppie, many thanks for that info. It was quite exciting as my Dad donated a lot of his Arsenal Memoribillia to them and I can see the books are shown online, his name even appears, so I can't wait to get him here to have a looksee, he will be very chuffed indeed. The books covers are a bit ratty looking but that is because we brought them out to Australia when we emigrated many years ago, and he had to post them back to Islington last year. Not surprised they are looking a bit worn - to say the least.
          Many thanks - Val

Comment

Really Val??? WOW! have you had a look at the collecton link on the left? the oone with about 1000 photos and what not? loads of names there!

Comment

We visited the museum yesterday & saw Vals Dads books. The museum is small but well presented,(downstairs at the library) some of the exhibits are relatively modern eg WW2, others from the Victorian period, not much from earlier. There is even a small costume section with 2 Victorian dresses. There's also a bookshop selling local history books & Alan Godfrey maps.

Comment

I'm very grateful to Jill for checking out the museum, and as they had Dad's name wrong I have emailed them to ask them if they wouldn't mind changing it. Dad doesn't want to go down in history with the wrong name. Being genealogists we all know about that don't we???
                Jill I will pm you when/if I hear back from them. I am sure I will as they have already sent me an automated message to say my enquiry will be dealt with in one working day.
                This is such a great, friendly site, I can't believe how accommodating you all are.
                Amazing - thankyou - Val

Comment

Working...
                X