baffled again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baffled again

can someone try and help me please...via igi Christening and IGI census return...my ggg grandfather was Edward Merrick b Norton Canon ...on the IGI we have Edward Merrick b 1826 Norton Canon in the 1881 census.aged 55 with his younger brother Thomas b 1830.....on the IGI for a christening we have Edward Merrick b 1828 Norton Canon..his parents are Thomas and Mary....I`m sure I have Edwards parents as Thomas Merrick b 1798 and Ann phillips b 1791..both Norton Canon......I have Edwards wife as Anne Taylor.b 1822 Dilwyn.....I`m convinced we have 2 Edward Merricks here from the same little village within 2 years...which one is mine...I thinkl Edward married to Anne taylor...but why can`t I find his christening ??....can some expert try and work this out...I`m a little baffled..sometimes I feel really thick...is this baffling or can I not take things in....regards...allan..:o
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Hi Allan,

Looks like Edward and Ann married in Weobley in JFM 1849. Do you have this marriage cert? It would confirm who his father was.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Edward's brother, Thomas, born c1830 looks like this one in 1851:

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1979; Folio: 162; Page: 12

The parents are Thomas and Ann. (although always remember the chances that Ann could be a second or third wife).

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

1841 census has Edward William Merrick with Thomas and Ann but his age is 7..
        Heather

Comment

thanks Tom...according to IGI they married in Dilwyn, Weobly district.15th feb 1849...I would never have found this 2nd Edward Merrick if someone on rootschat hadn`t contacted me about his ancestor ...but I still am baffled as to whether my EdwardMerricks parents are Thomas Merrick and Ann Phillips ??as I thought...or ,as it states on the christening of 1828 Thomas Merrick and MARY ??.....regards...allan
          added...THANKS hEATHER.....Don`t tell me thats another one...lol...allan
          Last edited by garstonite; 09-10-08, 18:53.
          Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

Allan,

I think you need to get their marriage certificate. As you know the date and the place you could contact the local records office and see if they can send you a photocopy from the original records. Some will but some (like Derbyshire!) will try and charge you just as much as the GRO.

If you got his marriage then you would find out the father's name and would be one step on the way to working out the answer to the problem.

Comment

If you cannot find his baptism on the IGI Allan, then you cannot be sure whether yours is the son of Thomas and Ann.

You might get his marriage certificate and find out his father's name is Septimus! lol

Why do you think there are 2 Edwards? If your contact has said that his Edward is the son of X and Y have they told you WHY they have come to this conclusion and what their evidence is?

Comment

Not sure why you think there are two Edward Merricks. You have one baptised with parents Thomas and Ann, but are puzzled because Edward's brother's parents are Thomas and Mary.

But it doesn't mean there are two Thomas Merricks. Perhaps Ann and Mary were two different women, who both married the same Thomas, or perhaps she's the same woman, called Mary Ann, Marion, Marianne etc, who just got recorded differently by the vicar in the baptism register.

I have a gt gt gt grandmother who is recorded in the baptisms of her children as Susan, Susannah, Susanne and Anne - but its the same woman.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

thomas merrick (edwards brother )christened 13th june 1830 norton canon parents Thomas and Ann...on IGI...I notice they also have Ellen ,sister living with them in 1881...I`ll check her parents....allan.
                  ellen maria b 1828 Norton Canon aged 53 in 1881 census...and Edward is 55 b 1826...allan
                  Last edited by garstonite; 09-10-08, 19:03.

Comment

a Thomas Merrick married Ann Phillips in Norton on the 15th April 1823.

The christenings for Norton seem to be a bit patchy, although it says that they are complete.

According to the 1851 census Thomas and Ann had a daughter Ann who was born c1824. No christening on the IGI as far as I can see.

They then had a daughter Ellen Maria whose christening is on the IGI for 16 September 1825.

Thomas is there in June 1830.

No William christening showing for c1834.

No others showing up on the IGI though.

Comment

Allan,

The problem is though that it was a small village and all sorts can go on!

I have several families in a small village who all had children called Hastings, Nathaniel, John and Ruth. This was all in the late 1700s and was a real difficult task to sort them out.

Have you looked for a will of Thomas Merrick Snr?

Comment

HI

I see from that 1881 census that there was also an Ellen M Merrick born circa 1828 shown as sister.

sure enough she shows up in the same 1841 census as Edward with parents Thomas and Ann and no brother Thomas bn circa 1830 but then in the 1851 census it does show Elen M and her brother Thomas with the same parents

If you look for Elen M Merrick in the 1851 you'll see what I mean.

sorry if I have waffled on.
                        WendyP

Comment

thanks Tom...it is a descendant of Ann Phillips who has contacted me stating that the daughter of thomas Merrick and Ann Phillips named Ann was illegitimate..born 1823....so..Nell...on IGI for Edward Merrick b 1828 it states Thomas Merrick and MARY ????.as parents ..THIS IS WHAT IS THROWING ME....its not Thomas and Ann like I have and also in ALL but one IGI returns........lol...allan.
                          ADDED...no Wendy...please waffle on...the more info people can come up with the clearer the picture may become...thanks...allan
                          Last edited by garstonite; 10-10-08, 07:28.

Comment

am I being daft in wondering if Ann Phillips middle name was Mary..which she used on her wedding day..or she was Mary Ann Phillips ..and if her 1st born was illegitimate named Ann ,started using this middle name as her christian name...does that sound stupid ? or am I clutching at straws...???...allan

Comment

HI

This was how the marriage was indexed

Groom THOMAS MERRICK
                              Bride ANN PHILLIPS
                              Day 15 Month 04 Year 1823
                              Place of marriage NORTON CANON
                              No church image available (HEREFORDSHIRE)
                              WendyP

Comment

As I said before people's names can vary in records. I've found a Susan who turned into a Sarah for one census entry. I've also found what appear to be different people in baptism registers who are also the same.

You need to check all the registers - including the death registers for any female Merricks old enough to have been Thomas' wife.
                                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

thanks Wendy...I`ve just been on IGI again and no sign of Mary Ann Phillips in Norton Canon around that time...so Ann Phillips it obviously was....so in the IGI Christening of Edward Merrick b 1828 Norton Canon why does it state PARENTS Thomas and MARY ??...allan

Comment

Allan,

I can see no entry on the IGI that has a Edward Merrick born 1828.

Comment

Allan, if I were you I would try to get a look at the parish registers (or another transcription of them if that is impossible) rather than relying on the IGI, as it can have mistakes in it.
                                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I must agree with the last posting Allan.
                                        The IGI showed a christening for Elizabeth and Ann, the children of Thomas Apps and his wife Ann. When I looked up the actual record the children were Elizabeth and Richard! That solved a problem for us as we had been searching for OH's GGGrandfather Richard Apps. I must presume that the person transcribing the records put in the mother's name by mistake.

Comment

Working...
                                        X