Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uploading tree from another site

to a Family Tree Program.

Like Golden Oldie here, I haven't yet got any software for my Tree.....it is currently on GR, which took a lot of time to enter, although there are mistakes on it which GR wouldn't let me correct.

So, if I download, or buy, a Tree program, can I load the large part of the GR on it to? And can I also correct the mistakes that are on the GR one before I proceed to add more entries?

In view of this, which program would be simplest and easiest to use?

Thanks
    Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Yes, you export your tree from GR, save it on your computer and import it into your new program, and then correct any mistakes you find on the tree.

I started out with PAF and progressed to FTM. I found PAF slightly more difficult when I first started, but it doesn't make a big difference.

You can download PAF free from familysearch.org; FTM costs around £10, I think.
    PAF doesn't let you print very good tree charts unless you buy an extra program, whereas they're included in FTM. FTM usually gives you 1-3 months' free subscription to Ancestry, depending on which version you buy.

Legacy can also be downloaded free, but I haven't used it myself, so I don't know how easy it is.

Comment

I consider Legacy a 'deceptively' easy program, by which I mean that you can plunge right in and start doing things without too much effort, but it has many features and capabilities that aren't immediately obvious. It's quite easy to import a GEDCOM, edit or add to the resulting Family file, and then re-export a new GEDCOM. This can all be done using the free Standard Edition.

The Deluxe Edition is exactly the same program and interface, but includes extras (e.g., wall charts, mapping, source templates) which are 'locked' in the Standard version. If you find you like the Standard Edition, you can purchase the Deluxe one for between US$30/£17.50 (download without user guide) to US$60/£35 (download plus CD, printed user guide, training videos).

Details (and downloads) are available from Legacy's website.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go -

Tim
      "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Thanks Mary and Tim, I'll have a go in the next few days when I've got some time to sit and study it properly.
        Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

Working...
        X