Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 medal cards on ancestry

This is really two quick questions:

1) Are WW1 medal cards for nurses on Ancestry or is it just army ones? On the NA site the ref for army appears to be WO372/14 but nurses are WO372/23 which are downloadable from the NA site

this leads to my second quick question

2) I'm taking the plunge and going to Kew on 18 October particularly to look at WW1 nurses records (I wanted to look at DRs as well but it appears from the site that all those records were destroyed in 1922 as the majority only had temporary commissions) however my question is this: is there still a charge to view the downloadable info (e.g the nurses meal cards) even if you are viewing it at Kew?

That probably sounds parsimonious but I'm not absolutely certain that all the ladies I have listed are my family and I don't want to needlessly waste money.

Sorry if these are foolish questions - but I'm fast escaping from my comfort zone and entering areas of family research that are new to me - but to take it further I have to take the plunge - somebody pass me the water wings :o
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

I know it's free to view them at Kew, but I don't know whether the nurses' cards are on ancestry. If you can find some of them listed on TNA then look the names up on ancestry you should be able to find out.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Many thanks KR - I've type their names into Ancestry on medal cards but I'm just getting their brothers' cards so I'll have to assume that they are not. Thanks for the Kew info.
      Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

I looked up nurses records for someone a couple of years ago and got to handle the actual service documents. I can't access my ordering record remotely, to see exactly what I was looking at, but they were original docs, paper thin, with details of where the woman had come from... and I seem to remember in that instance she was discharged upon marriage.
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Working...
        X