Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery - any help please guys?

Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you guys could help me?

I have been going back on my mum's side and have come across something that seems a bit strange, to me anyway, im sort of new to this but there is someone in my family tree who was married under the name of George Stephenson - when his name was Matthew George Ayton Stephenson, sorry if this is confusing but his fathers name was just Matthew Ayton ?? but he married with the name Stephenson and thats what all my family's name is now? he married a Jane Swaffield D.O.B 23/3/1825 Died 1903

This is what i have from someone's tree on genes about Ayton/Stephenson

Marriage reg ond 1864 Cardiff 11a 429. Married under the name of George Stephens? In 1871 census living at 30 Alice Street, St Mary Cardiff rg number rg10, piece 5363, folio 63, page 41 In 1881 census living at same address RG No RG11, Piece 5281, Folio 14, Page 27 In 1891 census living at same address RG No RG12, Piece 4396, Folio 100, Page 40 also at that address in 1891 apart from George and his wife jane were Pheobe Stephenson grandaughter age 17 born Cardiff and Sidney Merrifield

Place of birth - Wymonham, Norfolk, England Born 1825 - died 1903

Any help guys would be very welcome!!

Thankyou guys
    Last edited by Myroots; 09-10-08, 10:36.

Well, without having looked up all those census refs, I presume that he was illegitimate, but his mother included his father's names within her son's names for his birth registration (quite a common thing to do).

Have you looked for him before his marriage?

Place of birth - Wymonham, Norfolk, England Born 1882 - died 1903
    Erm, he wasn't born in 1882 if he married in 1864!

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
      Well, without having looked up all those census refs, I presume that he was illegitimate, but his mother included his father's names within her son's names for his birth registration (quite a common thing to do).

Have you looked for him before his marriage?

Erm, he wasn't born in 1882 if he married in 1864!
      Hi Merry!

Changed the birth date, sorry!! lol..

So my family name is Ayton?? i haven't looked at him before his marriage im not very good at this at the mo i'm just trying to find my feet, not sure whats going on with the name change ? so he was the Bastard of some bloke called Stephenson?

Comment

No, I would say his father's name was Matthew Ayton and his mother's name was X Stephenson. He took his mother's surname as his parents were not married.

But this is all speculation. I can't find a baptism for him in Wymondham and I know the time frame should be transcribed on FreeREG because I did that parish myself! lol

Was he a bachelor in 1864?

Comment

Where did you get his full name from?

when his name was Matthew George Ayton Stephenson

Comment

I would say his mother was a Stephenson and the father an Ayton. They wern't married at the time of his birth. Have you looked for his birth record? The Ayton may be just a middle name and not part of his surname.
            Also I would check any info you are given for yourself as people do make mistakes.
            Good luck.

Comment

I think he was married to another women, a Susannah Symonds they had two children

one called Mary Ann Ayton and one called George Stephenson ???

This is what i have on George

Birth reg jfm 1852 Battle, Sussex 2b 41 Mistake in register as the name says George Stepheson!!!!!!!!!!!!! Marriage reg jas 1872 Cardiff 11a 376. death reg jas 1933 cardiff 11a 281 age 82. Search Records - 1871 Census (England and Wales) 1871 Census record for GEORGE STEPHENSON Name GEORGE STEPHENSON Age 19 Estimated Year of Birth 1852 Relationship to Head of Household (WIFE)! Occupation SMITH STRICKS Address 30 Alice Street District Cardiff, Cardiff Parish Administrative County Glamorgan Birth Place Battle Birth County SURREY In 1881 census living at Hodges Row, St Mary, Cardiff. Occupation - Engine Driver 1891 Census shows the family living in 48 Fishguard Road. George Head, aged 39, Occupation Labourer, with Amelia 37, George, Amelia 15, Florence 11, Henry 9, Robert 7, Alfred 4, William 2 and Sidney 0 In 1901 census living at 70 Milford Street, Roath, St Saviours, Cardiff. RG13 PIECE 4976 FOLIO 88 PAGE 88 SCHEDULE No 186. living at this address were George age 49 head. Occupation Mechanics Fitter. Amelia age 48 wife Amelia age 23 daughter. Occupation Confectioner. Harry age 18 son. Occupation Smiths Striker. Robert age 16 son. Occupation Crane Drivers Helper. Alfred age 13 son. paper shop assistant William age 11 son Sidney age 9 son Gladys M. age 6 daughter

I'm confusing myself now!!

Comment

No, I would say his father's name was Matthew Ayton and his mother's name was X Stephenson. He took his mother's surname as his parents were not married.

But this is all speculation. I can't find a baptism for him in Wymondham and I know the time frame should be transcribed on FreeREG because I did that parish myself! lol

Was he a bachelor in 1864?
                His mother was a Ann Stimpson D.O.B 1801 - 1880- Besthorpe, Norfolk, England

looks like he married twice as well

Comment

Erm, but the other 1881 census ref you gave is for George Stephenson b 1822ish in Wymondham and married to Jane, so which person is the one connected to Matthew Ayton?

The 1822 Wymondham one or the one much younger from Battle in Sussex?

Comment

His mother was a Ann Stimpson D.O.B 1801 - 1880- Besthorpe, Norfolk, England
                    Well, she won't have had a baby in 1852, so is the Battle Suffolk stuff just to confuse me?!!

Comment

Tried to tidy it up a bit:

Originally posted by Myroots View Post
                      This is what i have on George

Birth reg jfm 1852 Battle, Sussex 2b 41 Mistake in register as the name says George Stepheson!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marriage reg jas 1872 Cardiff 11a 376.

death reg jas 1933 cardiff 11a 281 age 82.

Search Records - 1871 Census (England and Wales)
                      1871 Census record for GEORGE STEPHENSON
                      Name GEORGE STEPHENSON
                      Age 19 Estimated Year of Birth 1852
                      Relationship to Head of Household (WIFE)!
                      Occupation SMITH STRICKS
                      Address 30 Alice Street District Cardiff, Cardiff Parish
                      Administrative County Glamorgan
                      Birth Place Battle Birth County SURREY

In 1881 census living at Hodges Row, St Mary, Cardiff.
                      Occupation - Engine Driver

1891 Census shows the family living in 48 Fishguard Road.
                      George Head, aged 39, Occupation Labourer, with Amelia 37, George, Amelia 15, Florence 11, Henry 9, Robert 7, Alfred 4, William 2 and Sidney 0

In 1901 census living at 70 Milford Street, Roath, St Saviours, Cardiff.
                      RG13 PIECE 4976 FOLIO 88 PAGE 88 SCHEDULE No 186.
                      living at this address were George age 49 head. Occupation Mechanics Fitter. Amelia age 48 wife Amelia age 23 daughter. Occupation Confectioner. Harry age 18 son. Occupation Smiths Striker. Robert age 16 son. Occupation Crane Drivers Helper. Alfred age 13 son. paper shop assistant William age 11 son Sidney age 9 son Gladys M. age 6 daughter

I'm confusing myself now!!
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Surely that last post is still about a different person?

Originally you were talking about the man from Wymondham b 1822/25.

How do you know his mother was Ann Stimpson?

Comment

Well, she won't have had a baby in 1852, so is the Battle Suffolk stuff just to confuse me?!!

Lol... not all all!

Sorry i'm not being much help am i?

" Erm, but the other 1881 census ref you gave is for George Stephenson b 1822ish in Wymondham and married to Jane, so which person is the one connected to Matthew Ayton?"

No that is the same guy his name was Matthew George Ayton Stephenson, he and Susannah also had a son born GEORGE STEPHENSON

Comment

This:

Marriage reg ond 1864 Cardiff 11a 429. Married under the name of George Stephens?
                            In 1871 census living at 30 Alice Street, St Mary Cardiff rg number
                            rg10, piece 5363, folio 63, page 41
                            In 1881 census living at same address
                            RG No RG11, Piece 5281, Folio 14, Page 27
                            In 1891 census living at same address
                            RG No RG12, Piece 4396, Folio 100, Page 40
                            also at that address in 1891 apart from George and his wife jane were Pheobe Stephenson grandaughter age 17 born Cardiff and Sidney Merrifield

Place of birth - Wymonham, Norfolk, England Born 1825 - died 1903
                            and this:

Birth reg jfm 1852 Battle, Sussex 2b 41 Mistake in register as the name says George Stepheson!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marriage reg jas 1872 Cardiff 11a 376.

death reg jas 1933 cardiff 11a 281 age 82.

Search Records - 1871 Census (England and Wales)
                            1871 Census record for GEORGE STEPHENSON
                            Name GEORGE STEPHENSON
                            Age 19 Estimated Year of Birth 1852
                            Relationship to Head of Household (WIFE)!
                            Occupation SMITH STRICKS
                            Address 30 Alice Street District Cardiff, Cardiff Parish
                            Administrative County Glamorgan
                            Birth Place Battle Birth County SURREY

In 1881 census living at Hodges Row, St Mary, Cardiff.
                            Occupation - Engine Driver

1891 Census shows the family living in 48 Fishguard Road.
                            George Head, aged 39, Occupation Labourer, with Amelia 37, George, Amelia 15, Florence 11, Henry 9, Robert 7, Alfred 4, William 2 and Sidney 0

In 1901 census living at 70 Milford Street, Roath, St Saviours, Cardiff.
                            RG13 PIECE 4976 FOLIO 88 PAGE 88 SCHEDULE No 186.
                            living at this address were George age 49 head. Occupation Mechanics Fitter. Amelia age 48 wife Amelia age 23 daughter. Occupation Confectioner. Harry age 18 son. Occupation Smiths Striker. Robert age 16 son. Occupation Crane Drivers Helper. Alfred age 13 son. paper shop assistant William age 11 son Sidney age 9 son Gladys M. age 6 daughter
                            are completely different people with completely different census references.

Comment

Originally posted by Myroots View Post
                              " Erm, but the other 1881 census ref you gave is for George Stephenson b 1822ish in Wymondham and married to Jane, so which person is the one connected to Matthew Ayton?"

No that is the same guy his name was Matthew George Ayton Stephenson, he and Susannah also had a son born GEORGE STEPHENSON
                              I don't believe two men with a 30 year age difference and born in different counties are the same person!!!

Obviously we have our wires crossed somewhere, so I am going away for half an hour and will see if I can understand what you really mean when I came back!!

I'm sorry, but I just don't get it??!!!

Comment

I will try and put this a bit more clear, this is the info i have off genes

Matthew Ayton ( Father ) Ann Stimpson ( Mother )

Matthew George Ayton Stephenson -

who it says married under the name of "George Stephenson", now Matthew George Ayton Stephenson Married twice from what i can see to a Susannah Symonds and they had one child called Mary Ayton - he also married a Jane Swaffield they also had children 5 all with the surname Stephenson ?

Comment

I'm getting confused as well....

Does the marriage cert say George Stephenson but his birth cert say Matthew etc etc.

Is there a father mentioned on either/or both certs?

What is father's occupation?

Maybe we need to get forward.......who is George/Matthew's child? Other words how did you get to him for a start? We have to make sure it is the same person. George Stephenson sounds fairly common to me.

Comment

If you are getting this all from Genes, I'd be very careful. It could be fine, but you really need to go back a step at a time yourself, checking all the way.

Without putting any living persons' names here, can you give us what you have as definite......with certs hopefully.

Comment

If this is your mother's side i would say go back and start from where you know and forget the gene's tree.

Hi Libby sorry just repeated what you said.

Comment

I can see where you are getting confused.....is that your tree on Ancestry?? It has these same people.

Matt Ayton married Ann Stimson 1823
                                        One of their children was Matt Geo Ayton Stephenson?????? born 1825
                                        Harriett Ayton b 1826 and James Ayton b 1831.

Comment

Working...
                                        X