Travelling to Australia - help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travelling to Australia - help please

I have made contact with a really lovely lady on GR (I will be recommending this site to her! lol) who turns out not to be my relative, (unfortunately) and she was asking me about ships passenger lists etc from the UK to Australia, which is something I know very little about.

Maybe someone can help us?

Her ancestor, Henry MAYNARD b 1834 (carpenter/builder) was in the UK and living in Eastbourne, Sussex in 1851. In 1860 he married in Queensland, Australia.

My contact has been trying to find a record of Henry's arrival in Australia without any luck.

What advice can I give her?

There's a Henry George Maynard came to Qld 1872 age 28. Makes him 10 years younger, but my g grandfather was about 7 years younger when he came as well.

Indexes - Immigration

Comment

I think her chap was there all the time after 1860. :o

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
        There's a Henry George Maynard came to Qld 1872 age 28. Makes him 10 years younger, but my g grandfather was about 7 years younger when he came as well.

Indexes - Immigration

Assuming that Catharine, also listed, was his wife, they seem to have married in 1867 in Islington and are together in Hackney with no children in 1871, so that's def a different man!!

Comment

OK.......Henry Maynard married Sarah Lane in 1860. I could only find one child, Edward born 1861.

I wonder if your lady has Henry's death cert. A lot have how long they were here. That would give her a rough time frame.

Comment

Don't forget the Wiki

Lots of links there:

Emigration and Immigration - Family Tree Forum

I've just edited the page a bit, because some free settlers lists had got mixed in with the convict lists. I'll have a good look through it when I have a minute, to see if there's anything missing.

The passenger lists on FMP will be too recent for Henry, but there are lots on Ancestry and elsewhere.

A Henry Maynard aged 32 went to Victoria in 1858 on the Tricolor. The age isn't quite right, though.

Just looking at the Ancestry lists.

Comment

Can't see anything in the lists on Ancestry, and I've checked the convict lists just in case.

Nothing in the NSW records either, apart from a Mr Maynard who arrived from Melbourne on the Yarra Yarra on 18/12/1854 and on the City of Sydney on 22/1/1855 (could be the same person or two different people).
              Last edited by Mary from Italy; 09-10-08, 12:49.

Comment

There's also a Henry Maynard who left Victoria for Sydney in 1853, but he was 31, so it doesn't sound like your man.

Comment

It does not appear that he was an Assisted Migrant to NSW or Queensland. Which means trawling through the passenger lists of the full fare paying passengers. NSW has a great website which is transcribing the official arrival lists, I think most of the period to 1860 is done, but some have very little information on the passengers. You could sift through all the Maynards there - Welcome - Family Tree Forum

Although as Libby says, his death cert may have the length of time in colonies included - I know NSW certs have this, but don't know about Qld. Sometimes thats only a guess, too, but usually within a reasonable time frame.

Diane
                  Diane
                  Sydney Australia
                  Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

I've got one Qld death cert with length of time in colony. Others without, so suppose it depends on informant.

Comment

My contact (who is another Libby!) does have the death cert, but she didn't mention anything about time in the colonies.

Thanks for your help everyone. That's really interesting about him possibly being a full fare paying passenger, as his father died in Oct 1859, which might just about leave him time to get to Oz on his inheritance! (part share of "under £5,000")

I don't know when in 1860 he married Sarah Lane, but my contact has the cert so I can check that with her.

How long did it take to get to Oz, meet someone and get hitched??! lol

Comment

The voyage took about two months, and he could have got married very quickly indeed after he arrived.

Comment

Perhaps he met someone on the ship and they were in a rush to get married as soon as they landed!
                          Margaret

Comment

Sounds more and more as if he went using his father's money!

Comment

Full fare in 1856 was around 25 pounds.

I have Rebecca Bennett who came here in Dec that year, arrived on 9th Dec, married on the 21st. Her "usual address" marriage cert is "newly arrived per Morning Star". We also have the receipt for her passage, which was saloon, not steerage.

Di
                              Diane
                              Sydney Australia
                              Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Merry...does Libby (there's not that many of us lol) know what happened to the family after the son was born?

I don't like Queenslanders going missing lol.

Comment

I expect so, but she hasn't told me yet. This chap Henry was her direct ancestor.

You mentioned earlier that Henry had a son, Edward in 1861 in Queensland. I can't see that my contact has him on GR, but maybe she only has a direct line? She does have another Henry b in the 1870's in a place called Gundagai in NSW, so maybe Henry and his wife moved there?

I've asked her about the death cert info, but not had a reply yet!

Comment

That's fine. Just checked and there's another five children born Gundagai and two other 'maybes' born elsewhere.

Comment

Yes, could be. There are several children born in Gundagai to a Henry and Sarah Maynard, and 3 in other places.

A Henry Maynard, father David, died in Gundagai in 1910.

NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages - Historical Index Search

Comment

Yes, that's what stumped her, because his father was actually Edward (same as first son!). The David bit was info given my one of Henry's children!!

She contacted me because I have several David Maynards in my tree and now she can't escape my clutches, as I completely take over her research!!

*evil cackle*!!

lol

Comment

Working...
                                        X