Yokohama War Cemetery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yokohama War Cemetery

Continuing on from Velma's "Is anyone planning a trip to the Lijssenthoek War Cemetery in Belguim?" thread ...

I've thought about planning a trip to the 'Yokohama War Cemetery' in the past but as it is not straight forward for me to get there and as I don't have any association with the place myself I will only go if there is any real interest. Please let me know.

I would be interested, if you get there John, my cousin Peter is in the Australian section, he was killed in 1947 when his jeep was hit by a train, while helping to clean up after the war.

Sylvia
    Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
    Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
    Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

Not a cemetery request, but should you ever find yourself here anywhere near Hachoji there is a place of Worship from Barrowford Booth parish Lancashire (Higherford Methodist) which was dismantled & rebuilt there in 1996 as a wedding chapel at a hotel & is now known as Great Victoria chapel.

Comment

And you say I get the interesting ones!
        Michael, aged 1/4 of a century

Comment

You could ask Fepow-Community : Far East Prisoner of War Community There are still family members around looking for info.

Comment

Hi Sylvia,

When I sort out my arrangements on how to get there (probably won't be in the immediate future) is there anything specific that you would like me to try and get/do - Photo's, etc... ?

If you'd like a photo of Peter's grave then please provide me with the full details. You can post on this thread or send me a pm if you prefer.

Hi Jill,

Hachioji is another place I will have to work out how to get to. Again, it won't be in the immediate future (when I get the time). I've made a note and will see what I can do.

Hi Peppie,

For the moment I'd prefer to keep things to the FTF site. I don't want to be inundated with requests as I may not be able to cope with them all.

I will leave this thread open for a while to see if any further requests come up before deciding on my next course of action.

I will close the thread if I feel that I am going to be overloaded. Can't see that happening at the moment though.

Comment

Don't worry about Hachioji, it was just me thinking out loud.

Comment

Hi John,

No worries if you don`t get there, but just in case, he is, Gunner Peter Tomlinson Australian Section. plot F. row A. 15. which is just below the Cross of Sacrifice, looking at the map.
                yes please i would like a photo, but please don`t make the journey if i am the only one you are going for.

Sylvia
                Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham

Comment

Hi Sylvia,

He's on my list. I will wait a while and see what other requests, if any, come in and then make a decision on what to do.

Comment

OK, I've been to the Yokohama British Commonwealth War Cemetery and a very nice place it is ... :D

Took 821 photos this morning, good job it's nice weather. I will have to go back sometime to do the rest though. :D

What I have so far:

Australian Section
                    New Zealand & Canadian Section
                    Indian Section
                    Post War Cemetery

:D

What I haven't got yet is the British Section. Although I do have a few bits and pieces from the section. No graves though. That's for another day.

Sylvia, if you haven't disappeared yet you may want to hold on for a few minutes longer. :D

Comment

I`m still here John, waiting to see what you have, sounds like you have been busy.

Sylvia
                      Sylvia

Comment

THE WAR DEAD OF THE COMMONWEALTH - YOKOHAMA WAR CEMETERY.

Extract from the book.

Book open at the page the extract came from.

Comment

P. Tomlinson is the 2nd grave in the row.

Comment

Wow thats fantastic, thank you so much, he was one of three brothers that went to wars, the other two came home

Sylvia
                            Sylvia

Comment

Oh John i cant thank you enough for the photos , i have a tear in my eyes now.

Sylvia
                              Sylvia

Comment

P. Tomlinson is second grave in, at the very top, just to the left of the monument's steps.

Looking down from the monument, P. Tomlinson is second grave in on the nearest row.

That's it, unless you're interested in any other photos. :D
                                Last edited by Guest; 16-10-08, 09:20.

Comment

What a beutiful, peaceful place it looks, they deserve that after all they went through,

I now have 8 pictures of where he lies and only thought of getting one thank you.

Sylvia
                                  Sylvia

Comment

You're welcome Sylvia.

It's so sad, so many youngsters but it's an absolutely beautiful place. Very tranquil and well looked after.

I will have to try and do the British section sometime, when I have time. It is a rather large section though.

Comment

Peter Tomlinson was the only person i had in Yokohama cemetary that i know of, i do have a uncle in Fisheux France, who also died very young.

Sylvia
                                      Sylvia

Comment

John, they are beautiful photos - it looks a very peaceful place.

Do you have any general photos, maximum of 4, which could be included in our War Memorial section on the wiki?
                                        War Memorials
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X