• Show
Clear All

• Graveyard records destroyed in fire

I received a reply from the Vicar concering the wherebouts of where
    my relative was buried and unfortunatly the church records were
    destroyed in a fire :( I cant read the gravestones as the weather
    has worn away the writing.

Clare

Poor you, its not nice finding things like that out. Which church is it?

Comment

Oh it's so annoying when something like that has happened, I needed to search some parish records for a Norfolk Church only to find that all the records had been stolen in the 1960's from the church safe!!!!:(

Comment

I suppose the only hope now is that somebody may have transcribed the records or the memorial inscriptions at some time in the past when they were still legible.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by FenTiger View Post
          Oh it's so annoying when something like that has happened, I needed to search some parish records for a Norfolk Church only to find that all the records had been stolen in the 1960's from the church safe!!!!:(
          It's the sort of thing that led to records being deposited in a record office..... and then Norfolk Library catches fire

I rather think I had ancestors in the same village, Julie. At least Norfolk were very hot on ATs and BTs.

My greatest grief is all the Devon wills that went up in smoke in WW2. The only branch of the family with a bit of money, not only did they use the same few christian names, but four grandparents all had the same surname, they all left wills - I've seen a calendar - and the wills were all destroyed.
          Phoenix - with charred feathers
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Hi Phoenix, the Church I needed was Walpole St Peter, where my brickwall 3x Gt Grandfather was married in 1859, I have his marriage cert, on which it states banns by the board of guardians, so he was from the workhouse, where No records exist for the early time period :(, I couldn't find him on 1841 or 1851 census either so have reluctantly had to give up on finding the origins of my paternal name Edwards:(

Comment

That's the one, Julie. My ancestor's brother was removed there in 1808, with his wife and son. The son died three months later and the father three months after that, leaving the poor widow all alone. Curiously, his parents were wealthy, but nobody stepped in to help him out. He wasn't removed to his birthplace, so I assume he was apprenticed in Walpole St Peter, but there's nothing left to tell me.
              Phoenix - with charred feathers
              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Is that the one in Leyton Clare?

I have the same problem, I would love to know if my great great grandparents are buried there and have tried everywhere else around there but not found them

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Littlemoo, don't give up hope just yet, there may be a Memorial Inscription somewhere, try the local studies section of the nearest large library/local records office. My gggg grandparents gravestone no longer exists but was transcribed, and marked on a hand drawn map, so I was able to pay my respects at a scruffy bit of grass in Lewisham.

Comment

It's St Mary the Virgin Cemetry, Church Road, Leyton.

The local records centre is The Vestry Museum and they
                    only have the burial records. They suggested I contact the Vicar.

Tom - Did you go to The Vestry ?

Clare

Comment

Working...
                    X