hebdon bridge times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hebdon bridge times

I have just had a reply from the calderdale library but I am not quite sure what she means exactly. I was looking for more info on an accident where Hiram Pickles died after falling into a vat of boiling water Feb 1868. The librarian found the same report as Elaine in Spain in the liverpool mercury and suggests that because it was reported so far away that there would be a bigger report in the Hebdon bridge times.
    She then suggests that I go to libraries then 24hour library and then on line services.
    Tried to do this but it appears that you have to be a member and also I think that just brings up the same as whats in the liverpool mercury and not give access to Hebden bridge times.
    So how do I access the Hebden Bridge Times please?

It doesn't look as though the Hebden Bridge Times is online if she means the "19th Century Newspapers" collection which is what you get to via libraries - 24 hour library - online. It says that "the most local newspaper (included) to Calderdale is the Leeds Mercury", so you could try that one I suppose. But I'm guessing that the Liverpool Mercury was part of the same group as the Leeds one and probably reprinted the story from the Leeds Mercury.

If the Hebden Bridge Times isn't online and the librarian can't look it up for you then I suppose you would have to go to a library or archive which holds the back issues and look it up.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

If you check the website I gave you for Colindale Newspaper Libraries on your other thread on this subject, you will find that the Hebden Bridge Times did not start until 1976 and that prior to 1976 it was known as the Hebden Bridge Times and Calder Vale Gazette (Not Calder Dale-different place, one is Yorks and one is Lancs. Just think we could start a new Wars of the Roses!) but that paper only started 1883 to 1975.

Colindale is always the best place to start looking for all newpapers over the UK as it gives you all the holdings for all papers and the dates started and finished. I also suggested you rang Halifax main libraryto see if they could help you.

If only all newspapers were online!! However, with the advent of the probable closure of Colindale 2012, then who knows? More online or another potential FRC Disaster in the making??? I do know that they have hardly started and they are cash strapped to even start!

Colindale website below:

You will have to find out what local papers there are for your date of 1868. There may or may not be one for Hebden.

Janet
      Last edited by Janet; 08-10-08, 14:08.

Comment

Thank you. sorry I am so late reply but been at work all day. I shall try Halifax library tomorrow.
        Thanks

Comment

I've searched the 19th Century collection and only found a snippet about his death. There are three other Hiram Pickles articles....one is a marriage, another the death of a Mrs Hiram Pickles.

Yell if you want them.

Comment

HI

Have tried contacting the people at Hebden Bridge History Society to see if they may be able to find anyhting more for you?

Hebden Bridge Local History Archive
            WendyP

Comment

Wendy P - many thanks for that link! It has transcriptions from gravestones in Hepstonstall churchyard.

We were up in the Halifax district last week (my Jacksons and Stillings come from there) and we went up to Heptonstall where my ancestor Isaac Jackson was baptised and where he had his children baptised despite living down at Luddenden Foot and Warley at this period.

You will see I took photos of the two churches at Heptonstall - one now a ruin - and that I have submitted them for the POW project.

I'm keeping an eye on the graveyard transcriptions as they add to them in case my Jacksons appear early in the 1800s.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                I've searched the 19th Century collection and only found a snippet about his death. There are three other Hiram Pickles articles....one is a marriage, another the death of a Mrs Hiram Pickles.

Yell if you want them.
                Yes please. I have a death date for Hirams wife but as far as I know she remarried so must be registered under her new name. But would be interested in what you have found.

Comment

thanks Wendy for the link. I looked at the hebdon bridge societys website, I need to compose a query with all the details as they charge £5 for non -members queries

Comment

Working...
                  X