New Member - Please Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member - Please Help

I am new to this forum, also I am slightly new to starting my family tree. I was given Family Tree 2009 and started to see what I can get out of it. Even though I now live in Devon , I was brought up in Gloucestershire, where most of my desendants come from. I thought to start of with I would see if I could look up my own birth information, which was about 3 months ago. I can not even find myself listed so that is a great start. Does anyone have any ideas as to I can start looking? I would be greatful for any help that is forth coming thankyou.
    Last edited by tivvyblue; 07-10-08, 14:35.

Hi tivvyblue and welcome to FTF.

Do you have a subscription to Ancestry? If so, you can look up your birth in the indexes here: Ancestry Birth, Marriage and Death Records - Ancestry.co.uk, which also explains how to search:

"Searching for your UK Ancestors between 1911 and 1983?

When searching for Birth, Marriage or Death records between 1911 and 1983 you’ll need to do some additional searching on the index page. Your search will direct you to the first and last names on the page your ancestor will appear.

To locate the required page, just select the relevant name range between which your ancestor’s last name lies and scan down the page to find them.

Searching for UK Ancestors before 1911 or after 1983?

For Births, Marriages and Deaths recorded before 1911 or after 1983, your search will take you to the exact record on the page."

Once you find the birth index you need, you can order the certificate here: http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
    Sarah

Comment

Hi tivvyblue and welcome to Family Tree Forum!

Well, you are definitely starting in the right place, by beginning with your own details for your tree. I expect the reason you can't find your birth registration is because you are not looking in the right place. Not all recent records are available at the click of a button (though some may be).

Do you know where you were looking?

If you could just give us your year of birth then we may be able to direct you to the right place.

Comment

My name is Shawn Grace and I was born in Berkley,Gloucestershire in Septmeber 1963. On my birth certificate it states registered in Thornbury, Gloucestershire.

Thankyou

Comment

Well, you are there. I looked on the Full GRO (General Register Office) listings on Ancestry's website and I promise you are there for Q3 1963.

Your next step would be to look for your parents marriage certificate if no one in the family has a copy.

We don't allow details of living people to be posted on this site without their permission, so if you need help with sorting the marriage cert and your parents are still alive, if you want to send me a personal message I'd be happy to have a look for you. (To send me a message just click my name over on the left and one of the options says "Send Personal Message")

Comment

Hi Shawn, and welcome to the forum. Would you mind if we changed the title of your thread to, say, "New Member - Please Help"? Only usually if we see "PLEASE READ" in a thread title it means it's a very important announcement that all the forum members need to know about. Er, not that your family tree isn't important of course!
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Welcome Shawn:D
              If you get the opportunity, talk to the older members of your family, they may have some memories that could be useful (though memories sometimes play tricks)

Comment

Hi Shawn
                It is really important to talk to other members of your family if you can.
                In my case I found that one of my sisters had birth , marriage and death certificates for my fathers family and my brother who lives in California had my Grandfathers diary.

Ken

Comment

Hello Shawn and welcome to FTF. I wonder if you searched on FreeBMD? You wouldn't have found your own birth on there as records are only just started for 1930 so 1963 is not transcribed yet.

Don't worry if you haven't got Ancestry, or any other charging site. Once you get to wanting census details (most recent one available is 1901 - so probably your grandparents will be the first ones you will seek on a census) someone will happily do a look up for you (or 2, or 4 lol)
                  Rose

Comment

Hi and Welcome Shawn

If you go to our Wiki on the blue band at the top of the page you will find heaps of info to help you start. If you Click here the link will take you to the "Creating Your Family Tree" which has lots of links to places that members on here have collated to help anyone starting on the adventure. It might be a good idea to bookmark the page so you can find it quickly next time you want it.

Please do remember tho' that once you get started it will become extremely addictive.LOL

Good luck
                    Last edited by Katarzyna; 07-10-08, 14:50.
                    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I have just looked on freeBMD and there are no marriages transcribed after 1939 so you wouldn't find your parents' marriage there (unless they were married before then, of course).
                      Rose

Comment

Thankyou all for your tips and advice. One more thing before I get myself hooked on to my family tree. As first stated I have got Family Tree 2009, I just wanted to know is this the best one to go for or are there others that are better.

Comment

We will all have different views on that question Shawn, depending which package we use.
                          Family Tree Maker is one of the more popular packages at the present time, and there are plenty of people on here who can help if you get stuck.
                          Elaine

Comment

I would stick with Family Tree Maker for now if I were you, Shawn, and see how you get on with it as you build your tree up. Doesn't seem much point getting another program so early on in your research, I wouldn't have thought.
                            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I agree. Since you have already got the prog, you may as well try it out.
                              Rose

Comment

Welcome to the site.

The sooner you get started the sooner you can find out more about your family. You are in great company here.
                                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by tivvyblue View Post
                                  I am new to this forum, also I am slightly new to starting my family tree. I was given Family Tree 2009 and started to see what I can get out of it. Even though I now live in Devon , I was brought up in Gloucestershire, where most of my desendants come from. I thought to start of with I would see if I could look up my own birth information, which was about 3 months ago. I can not even find myself listed so that is a great start. Does anyone have any ideas as to I can start looking? I would be greatful for any help that is forth coming thankyou.
                                  hello and a warm welcome,all my ancesters came from gloucestershire too,mine are holder

enjoy its a fantastic site,brenda xxxx

Comment

Hi, My ancestors are from Gloucestershire so if you need anything specific to there I might be able to help.
                                    Margaret

Comment

Welcome!

I don't think there's anything I can add to what's been said. But I will echo the fact that it's a great site.

Christine
                                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi and welcome. Don't forget to look at our gedcom later.
                                        Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Working...
                                        X