Birch/Garth conundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birch/Garth conundrum

I've asked this before, but it really nags at me, so if anyone who hasn't already wasted time on my Birch/Garth problem would like to do so now ...

I have in front of me the marriage certificate for George Birch and Mary Anne Birch, both aged 24

Date: Sept 22nd 1858 at Kirkstall Parish Church after Banns

George - occupation: Cloth dresser living at Brick Row, Kirkstall. Father George Birch - Bricklayer

Mary Anne - (spinster) of Park Row, Kirkstall. Father John Birch - Cloth dresser.

Witnesses: Joe Bray /Annie Ellis

I THINK that the fathers ma have been reversed ...

I have George in 1851 living as a lodger with what I believe are his cousins - John Garth and Emma (Class: HO107; Piece: 2321; Folio: 357; Page: 4)

In 1841 the mystery begins and could be the reason for my confusion.

John and Martha are listed with (in this order) James (2), William (4 mo), John Birch (6) and Jane Garth (5), but there is a stroke between William and John, almost as if they are a separate household.

In 1851 Jane Garth is listed as daughter to John and Martha, but has Houseworker as her occupation

I can't find John's birth in IGI and the only Mary Ann I can find is the daughter of Joseph!

HELP! A cool and analytical mind (unlike mine) would be gratefully appreciated....

What I could do with is a handle on the Birches and Garths and if anyone can find either George or Mary Anne's birth it'd be a great help.
    Last edited by Mark Dudley; 07-10-08, 10:46. Reason: To clarify what I want to find out
    Let's re-arrange the deck-chairs

*runs away*
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Where did you get the cert from?

*runs ahead of Kite*

Comment

From the Register Office I think ... It is signed as a true copy by the Superintendent Registrar if that means anything ...

Comment

The 1841 census certainly looks to me as if George is not in the same family group as John, Martha, Jane and William.

George claims his father to be George.
          There is a burial for a George Birch shown on the NBI which could have been his father - but not sure how you could prove this at the moment.
          Burial 21 Feb 1836 George BIRCH aged 26
          Yorks W/R Leeds, Woodhouse St Mark

I suppose your only option is a visit to the Records Office to see if you can find the baptismal records of your Birches and Garths, and then work from there.

Not a lot of help really was I! :o
          Elaine

Comment

I've found a possible Mary Ann Birch daughter of John (who claims to be a tailor)which might fit: Class: HO107; Piece: 2319; Folio: 325; Page: 27

The only problem is she would be 31 at her wedding - stretching it a bit in those days to pass for 24 I'd have thought! There is also a random brother in that entry (Robert John) aged 2 who could come in somewhere ....

Comment

Umm, she does seem to be a bit too old.
              Elaine

Comment

Ooh! I've found a marriage George Birch to Sarah Garth 7/11/1829, and a christening for a George (son of George and Sarah) 5/8/1838. If your death is George senior that'd all hang together!

Comment

Ooh, where did you find that. Was searching the IGI for a Garth/Birch marriage!
                  Elaine

Comment

Ooh again...

Sarah Birch in 1841 with son Joseph aged 9 and John Garth aged 12 (lass: HO107; Piece 1348; Book: 6)

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                      Ooh, where did you find that. Was searching the IGI for a Garth/Birch marriage!
                      M071933 1826 - 1829 0918384-0918386 St Peter Leeds

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Dudley View Post
                        In 1841 the mystery begins and could be the reason for my confusion.
                        John and Martha are listed with (in this order) James (2), William (4 mo), John Birch (6) and Jane Garth (5), but there is a stroke between William and John, almost as if they are a separate household.
                        Originally posted by Mark Dudley View Post
                        Sarah Birch in 1841 with son Joseph aged 9 and John Garth aged 12 (lass: HO107; Piece 1348; Book: 6)
                        Those entries are only a few pages apart.
                        Elaine

Comment

Jane Garth, mother Martha christened 26th June 1836 at St Peter Leeds.
                          Martha Garth married John Birch 25th July 1836 at same church.

Comment

The missing link! Thanks maudarby!

Comment

Leeds must have been like a village in 1820 odd - I've got Garths marrying Aspins now!"

Comment

That will confuse you even more! :D:D
                                Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                X