Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordering a will for 1843?

A week ago I found an entry for

George Stillings of Bolton Brow Halifax in the Index to Death Duty Registers on Find my past. It has the reference ? (illegible) York Register 2 folio 536. The year was 1843 and it was under PCC and Country Courts.

This is a new departure for me, as the only wills I have purchased so far have been after 1858 or downloaded from the National Archives website.

How do I order the will or any document related to this entry?
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

You won't be able to order an 1843 will from the York or Cardiff probate office, but it should be at a record office or similar... I'll just see what I can find out...
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I think it might be here:

Borthwick Institute for Historical Research

Hopefully if it's not there then they will be able to tell you where to try next.
      KiteRunner

Comment

Sorry, just deleted my previous message, which only relates to post-1858 wills (I'm obviously not awake yet).

As Kate says, the Records Office is your best bet.

Comment

Thanks, Mary. I wasn't sure if that was the correct form. I find the information on Find My Past rather confusing. One day I'm going to have to get to grips with the various courts - at present it just leaves me more confused!
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Oh, just seen the new posts!

Yes, I did think that it was different for pre-1858.

However, the reference to York in the "Register" column had me confused.

We were in Halifax on Friday, but the Archives is just a small section of the library. I asked if they had the will, but they just looked surprised, although the chap did mention something about the main Archives office (in Wakefield, I think).
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:

Comment

The Borthwick Institute are really helpful and nice people

Comment

Kite Runner - thanks for the link to the Borthwick Institute - I'll try them.

I was so excited to find the entry last week, but when I thought about ordering the will I couldn't find any guidance on how to go about it on the FMP site.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:

Comment

Many thanks!

I have just phoned the Borthwick Insitute and I can indeed order a copy of the will.

For £5 the record of the will. For £10 I can have a photocopy of the orginal will showing the Testator's signature (full file).
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post

I have just phoned the Borthwick Insitute and I can indeed order a copy of the will.

For £5 the record of the will. For £10 I can have a photocopy of the orginal will showing the Testator's signature (full file).
                    Elizabeth, do you know if you can get any will from them or just those local to York ?

Like you, I have the death duty entry but need to order the Will from somebody.
                    Simon

"You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky ? " (Dirty Harry) - Be lucky; the facts are out there somewhere

http://www.thebirdtree.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                      Elizabeth, do you know if you can get any will from them or just those local to York ?

Like you, I have the death duty entry but need to order the Will from somebody.
                      Before 1858 the wills be at the local county records office, so just the York area for the ones in York

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Simon, have a look at this site:
                        Untitled Document

And in particular, the leaflets "A brief guide to finding probate records" and "Simple Guide to Probate Jurisdiction" should help you work out whether the will you want is likely to be at the Borthwick, or if not, where it is likely to be.
                        KiteRunner

Comment

Just to let you know that I had fantastic service - the will arrived by return of post, and was helpful as I established who one of the daughters married and also the fact that George Stillings owned a fair bit of property.

Good luck to anyone else searching for wills.
                          Elizabeth
                          Research Interests:

Comment

I have just bookmarked the link for a good look later as I have a reference from the death duty register and couldn't see how to order the will. TNA just said it wasn't online.
                            So thanks for posting this thread and for all the answers.

Comment

Borthwick Istitute have wills from all over the North of England. However not all wills but they charged me nothing for a fruitless search a couple of years ago. There is a downloadable order form on their website Borthwick Institute for Historical Research

It is not an easy task looking for pre 1858 wills, because of all the church courts involved at various times, but I have found contacting the relevant County Records Office in the first instance the easiest way to go. Also google google google, you never know what you may find.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X