scottish census help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scottish census help

im looking for christina mcfarlane in the scottish census.

she was born on 8 march 1833, the isle of iona, to archibald mcfarlane and mary mcdonald.

she married alexander matheson in hamilton, victoria, australia in 1864/5.
    she died in 1915, though i havn't found evidence of that.

i cant find her on any census, and i cant find the emmigration records for her either. i dont know if her parents came to australia.

any help would be appreciated, thankyou

If you do a "parent search" on FamilySearch, these are the other children listed:
    Dugald 1824
    John 1826
    Ronald 1828
    Archibald 1831
    (Christina 1833)
    Archibald John 1836.

Some of the christenings say Kilfinichen, or "Kilfinichen And Kilvickeon, Argyll, Scotland" and some say Iona, but it looks as though they are all in the same family as Archibald 1831 is listed for all three placenames!
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I've found what looks like part of the family in 1841 on ancestry:
      Parish: Iona; ED: 2; Page: 3; Line: 890; Roll: CSSCT1841_77-0437; Year: 1841.

Mary McFarlan 40, Dugd McFarlan 15 and Archibald McFarlan 5. They list a Mary McDonald of the same age and suspiciously similar occupation (though probably mistranscribed on both - "Collier" or "Cottier", well, I suppose she could possibly be a collier) on the same page but for a different household, so I'm not sure if on the actual image you will see her listed under both names or if it is two different people. It would certainly be worth you looking at the actual image for that one on Scotland's People. Not spotted Christina on ancestry yet, though. She doesn't seem to be listed on either that page or the one before or after.
      KiteRunner

Comment

Ancestry lists a Christy McFarlane age 8 in a household all on her own in 1841:
        Parish: Iona; ED: 4; Page: 1; Line: 1220; Roll: CSSCT1841_77-0456; Year: 1841. Again, you would probably be best to look at the image on Scotland's People to see what was really going on!
        KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
          They list a Mary McDonald of the same age and suspiciously similar occupation (though probably mistranscribed on both - "Collier" or "Cottier", well, I suppose she could possibly be a collier) on the same page but for a different household
          Could be a cottar, or small farmer. Here's one of many definitions I found by googling:

Cotter (farmer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

thanx, ill check out the ancestry index, but i dont have access to scotlands people, though it would be handy to have it

Comment

It's easy to get access to it, Kyle - just buy some credits! There is no subscription available where you get unlimited access; everyone is in the same boat and has to pay-per-view. Their website says, "Payment can be by credit or debit card and most major cards are accepted including Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Visa Debit, Switch, Solo, Delta and JCB."

Genealogy Scottish family birth records census ancestry Scotland uk - ScotlandsPeople
              KiteRunner

Comment

what does it mean exactly? does it mean it will cost the equivalent of 11 us dollars to view each page? or thats the price for 30 credits?

Comment

Info from Scotland's People website:

Old Parish Registers, Statutory Registers and Census

It costs 6GBP (approx. 8EUR or 11USD), to search the Old Parish Register, Statutory Register and Census indexes in the database.
                  This gives you 30 'page credits' and allows access for a period of 90 consecutive days (starting from the time your credit card payment is authorised), however many times you log on and off in that time.
                  If you download 30 pages before your 90 consecutive days are up, you can buy a further 30 page credits for 6GBP, and your access time is extended for a further 90 consecutive days.
                  You will not lose your existing credits when your 90-day session is expired; when you buy more credits they will simply be added to your existing credits.
                  Charges for index-searching are based on the number of pages actually displayed, not on the number of records retrieved.
                  Each time you do a search, you are told how many records have been found; each record refers to a specific event, ie a particular birth/baptism, marriage or death.
                  Before displaying the records, you have the opportunity to re-define, and narrow the search, without displaying the results.
                  If you decide to view these records, they are displayed in pages each containing a maximum of 25 records. One page of results costs 1 credit
                  Viewing images costs 5 credits per image.
                  Viewing an 1881 census transcription costs 1 credit.
                  Credits cannot be used for viewing wills/ testaments as these are a separate charge.

Yes, the first line does seem a bit confusing! It actually means it costs the equivalent of 11 us dollars to buy 30 credits, not to view each page. A page of search results costs 1 credit and an image costs 5 credits so you could get 5 images out of your 11 US dollars if your searches are narrowed down enough, and hopefully there is enough info from the ancestry entry to find those entries easily on Scotland's People - let us know if you need help narrowing down the search so that you only have to look at 1 page of results.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

thanx, kite. i have a lot of census, and parish records to find on scotland's people. im hoping they're more complete than the igi. the igi has half the info i need for one generation. i cant find anything before than!

Comment

Yes, they are more complete than the IGI - some parishes on the IGI only have the baptisms for one sex but Scotland's People will have the missing ones.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Just one small warning. The Old Parochial Records (OPRs) on ScotlandsPeople of events prior to the start of civil registration in 1855 only record Church of Scotland baptisms and banns. If the family was RC (common in the Hebrides amongst others) or belonged to another protestant church, those records won't be found on ScotlandsPeople.

Comment

I found Scotland's People really easy to use.

I seem to remember that they do pre warn you how much things will cost so you do know before opening the page.

Best wishes
                          Liz

Comment

I really like Scotlands People, am using it at the minute to look at my partner's family tree. I wish England's records were like Scottish records

Comment

im pretty sure mine were church of scotland. i dont know, i've found two or three baptisms for each scottish family. the 1830's. i cant find any for the family that supposedly has aristocratic roots!!

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                im pretty sure mine were church of scotland. i dont know, i've found two or three baptisms for each scottish family. the 1830's. i cant find any for the family that supposedly has aristocratic roots!!
                                The aristocratic family might have been Church of England. But CofE baptisms in Scotland won't be on ScotlandsPeople.

Comment

the 'aristicrats' are in the early 1700's. two generations back from the documented australian emmigrants.

theye were mathesons, and mcraes of inverinate, with mckenzies and mcdonnells. barons. they even inbred heavily for the previous century.

just trying to find out if the family hisyory is true

Comment

You've got to be dead lucky to get back even a couple of generations before Scottish civil registration. My great-grandmother and her siblings are nowhere to be seen on SP (1830/1840s) so I have to assume they were baptised in a dissenting church. They were a very religious family - most of them either became or married ministers.

Comment

i get stuck in the 1830's. there are possibles for some siblings, but im not sure:D

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                                        You've got to be dead lucky to get back even a couple of generations before Scottish civil registration. My great-grandmother and her siblings are nowhere to be seen on SP (1830/1840s) so I have to assume they were baptised in a dissenting church. They were a very religious family - most of them either became or married ministers.
                                        Or maybe not UJ.....

Remember there are a lot of records missing.
                                        Many weren't kept correctly and some were lost or destroyed. So your missing lot could still have been church of Scotland but sadly have been registered in one of the parish registers that is now lost forever.
                                        With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Working...
                                        X