• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth Certificates for 1812

Can I get one anywhere do you think ?
    regards Patti

*******always searching*********
    for Bracey.Speck.Gusterson.Taylor.Livermore.

Not if its for England and Wales but you might find a baptism record.
    Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

Hi Patti,

the BMI as we know it didn't start until July 1837.

If the person was non conformist then you might be lucky and find something similar to a birth certificate.

For most people though you need to look in the parish church for the baptism. Did they marry before are after 1837? If it was after then you will know the father's name so can be more certain you have the correct one in the baptism entry.

Also, try the IGI for a baptism but it isn't complete and beware the submitted entries.

:D

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Ok, thank you, as I was waiting one just turned up an Ancestry, thats great eh
        regards Patti

Comment

Patti........If the family was non-conformist, you could be lucky as Tom said. Those birth certs are great, much better than the official ones. I've got some from the 1700s with masses of info.

Comment

This Baptism One that has come from Ancestry is fine, it has both parents names on, I just needed to confirm that, so thats it, thank you.I am pleased with this will look for others as well.
            regards Patti

Comment

May I remind anyone who finds a Yorkshire baptism (1770 to 1812) to investigate whether the original register is a DADE register? (mainly North & East Ridings)
              IF it is, it is certainly worth investigating the original entry, because you get lots of additional informatiom, sometimes details of grandparents as well as mother's maiden name.

Parish Registers - Family Tree Forum
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                Patti........If the family was non-conformist, you could be lucky as Tom said. Those birth certs are great, much better than the official ones. I've got some from the 1700s with masses of info.
                Libby...where would I find a non-conformist birth certificate.
                I have been unable to find a baptism for my grandfather born in 1810. When he died, he was burried as a non-conformist but I don't know what religion he was baptised.
                Kathleen

Comment

Some non-conformist records are kept at The National Archives in RG4. There's a website you can use to search them, but it eats up your credits. Can't remember it but I expect its in the Wiki.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

This is the one:

BMD Registers: The Official Non-Parochial BMDs Service

Try to avoid the advanced search because you have to pay for that, while the standard search is free. And choose the image view rather than the transcription.
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Sorry Kathleen...I was away for a while.

I got mine from a rellie who got them many years ago from TNA. I'm presuming mine are "images" as they are handwritten.

Comment

Here's what one of mine says....
                        They are all the same standard printed form with just the names, dates and places handwritten...

"This is to certify that Myles, son of William Ariel and Elizabeth, his wife, who was the daughter of David Kirkby was born at Bristol in the Parish of St Augustine in the County of Bristol, the Twenty Ninth day of July in the year One Thousand Seven Hundred and Ninety One at whose birth we were present.

Witnesess (all with signatures)

Nancy Elizabeth Mills
                        Elizabeth Taylor
                        Agatha Ariel

Comment

It all depends on what one calls a birth certificate.

Many think that certificates only started with civil registration and the 1836 Act, however certificates had been required for hundreds of years before.

A certificate is simply a certified copy of an entry in a register. Most, but not all, pre-printed certificate forms were post 1837.

There are examples of some certificates on my website at
                          certificates

This contains printed certificates hand written certificates plus links to external sites that contain other interesting examples.
                          Cheers
                          Guy
                          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                            May I remind anyone who finds a Yorkshire baptism (1770 to 1812) to investigate whether the original register is a DADE register? (mainly North & East Ridings)
                            IF it is, it is certainly worth investigating the original entry, because you get lots of additional informatiom, sometimes details of grandparents as well as mother's maiden name.

Parish Registers - Family Tree Forum
                            Janet would love to find some of my Yorkshire lot but the trouble is were do you find them tried free reg looked for on line parishes ,,,hummmm
                            borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Originally posted by borobabs View Post
                              Janet would love to find some of my Yorkshire lot but the trouble is were do you find them tried free reg looked for on line parishes ,,,hummmm
                              If you have an idea of the area, have you tried getting film from the LDS centre?

re the DADE registers - just to remind folks that this system also covered some parts of Durham & Northumberland - and some of these are on the LDS site as Bishops Transcripts. I found my 4xgt grandfather's baptism (1802) in Alwinton, Northumberland, giving his mother's parents as from a farm in Middleton Tyas, Yorkshire. Good job, as otherwise I might have been researching the wrong line of Richardsons, as there were other Richardsons in that part of Northumberland (one being the doctor who wrote to the Times about the longevity of people in his parish).

and conversely, some parts of North Yorkshire came under the diocese of Chester, so don't have this detail.
                              Last edited by Vicky the Viking; 07-10-08, 10:50.
                              Vicky

Comment

Some Lancashire parishes also used Dade registers. Others didn't, but still put in the extra detail in the margin.

It is ALWAYS worth looking at the original pr. You won't know what is recorded on there till you look!

OC

Comment

Thanks Libby and Kite and Guy, I would love to find something like yours Libby....
                                  Thanks for asking the question Patti
                                  I didn't realise that there would be records of birth other than baptism.
                                  Kathleen

Comment

Originally posted by Vicky the Viking View Post
                                    If you have an idea of the area, have you tried getting film from the LDS centre?

re the DADE registers - just to remind folks that this system also covered some parts of Durham & Northumberland - and some of these are on the LDS site as Bishops Transcripts. I found my 4xgt grandfather's baptism (1802) in Alwinton, Northumberland, giving his mother's parents as from a farm in Middleton Tyas, Yorkshire. Good job, as otherwise I might have been researching the wrong line of Richardsons, as there were other Richardsons in that part of Northumberland (one being the doctor who wrote to the Times about the longevity of people in his parish).

and conversely, some parts of North Yorkshire came under the diocese of Chester, so don't have this detail.

Thanks Vicky ,,,hubbys lot all came from the yorkshire moors area, Pickering Whitby Kirbymoorside, have had look couple times on some sites for records but couldnt find any;;
                                    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Re Dade registers..

I found this link whilst googling...

Dade Registers

seems to be very informative..

I have seen a Dade for some of my rellies, and was pleasantly suprised, all that extra lovely info... just need to go back to the RO and go thro the other registers for the parish where the parents are said to have come from.
                                      Julie
                                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Yes it was a bone of contention that the 1812 Act (Rose's Act) more or less forced all but a few brave vicars to confine the details recorded to a basic minimum.
                                        Many registers before 1812 are treasure troves of family history material.
                                        Cheers
                                        Guy
                                        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Working...
                                        X