Non-conformist help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-conformist help please

You know how it is, you find some info, make a note and then when you look at it weeks later you think of lots of questions:

from BMd indexes RG4
    Anna Maria Denison, born 19 Oct 1771
    reg Aug 24, 1786
    parents Joseph Denison & Elizabeth, daughter of William & Elizabeth Butler
    witness Elizabeth Butler

My question is, why would Anna Maria be registered when she was 15?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

That was probably the age she was baptised - a lot of Nonconformist religions won't baptise babies, only adults.

Comment

Baptist?....... as far as I know they are baptised once they are old enough to understand.

Comment

Have you downloaded the image from BMD Registers: The Official Non-Parochial BMDs Service ? The images sometimes have more information than the transcriptions.

Comment

Had you seen this entry on TNA?

Case for the appellants, introductory view of the state of the evidence, and extracts from depositions, in an appeal to the House of Lords by William Bouchier, M.D., administrator of Ann Millington, spinster, deceased, and William Denison, D.D., administrator of Anna Maria Denison, widow, deceased, against George Taylor, administrator of Alice Merchant, widow, for claim to administration of the said Ann Millington. MS 3375/421675 23 February 1776

These documents are held at Birmingham City Archives
          Must be a different Anna Maria, though, judging by the dates.

Comment

I have some done at very odd ages indeed and it seems to mark the conversion of the whole family to a noncon religion.

OC

Comment

I don't have any baptism records/certificates for my non-con lot. I do have the birth certificates though, and they are wonderful, with three generations and the witnesses, all with signatures.

I have no idea what age they were baptised, except for Agatha who was baptised CofE three years after her marriage, and her sister, Mary who was also baptised CofE at age 10.

Comment

I just have one birth registration for a non-con relative, but the birth was registered at Dr Williams' Library when he was 16, so I assumed it was registered when he was baptised.
                Last edited by Mary from Italy; 06-10-08, 21:56.

Comment

My birth certs are from the date of birth. They were all from Dr Williams Library and I remember reading somewhere about the family having them stored there from birth.

Don't ask me where I read that lol.

Comment

I have Baptists in my tree and especially in the time Nell was referring to they didn't baptise infants, only adults who could make the commitment consciously. Some of them by immersion in a north country river too, lol, now that took commitment
                    Janexxx
                    To boldly go where no genealogist has gone before....

Comment

Thanks all, obvious when you think about it.

Must be a different Anna Maria Dennison as my lady was unmarried and no connection with Birmingham at all. But thanks anyway.

I've just drawn up the Dennison family tree on an A2 piece of paper in the hope of seeing something - but its not helping. Just emphasises how many gaps I have!!!

Comment

Oh dear Nell, have you run out of old envelopes and gas bills then?

OC

Comment

Lol!

I've actually got a pad of A2 with lines on it, originally meant for chartered accountants. Lots of them were donated to our school and we kept a few for wet play drawing, but I snaffled some.

My younger son uses them to keep football scores & league tables, but I find they are useful for drawing up family trees.

The Denisons are a nuisance though because they all have a limited number of names and there are zillions in the City of London. I'm just sure of the ones I've got because they are mentioned in Wills. But I can't connect them all up.

And how do I find "Mrs Bowser, formerly the wife of my late brother Samuel"?
                          Samuel married Lucy Hammond. After his death there was a big dispute about property Lucy had brought to the marriage which Samuel disposed of. The case was called Druce v. Denison and though I've found mentions in google books about it I can't understand them and have no idea who Druce was!

Comment

The case is in TNA's Catalogue, so there's a treat for you! Your very own Jarndyce v Jarndyce.
                            Phoenix - with charred feathers
                            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Yes, something to look forward to for visit to Kew.

Comment

Originally posted by Cool Blue View Post
                                I have Baptists in my tree and especially in the time Nell was referring to they didn't baptise infants, only adults who could make the commitment consciously. Some of them by immersion in a north country river too, lol, now that took commitment
                                Don't know about rivers, but Baptists still only do believer's (i.e. adult) baptism. Baptist churches have a baptistry (a mini-pool, normally boarded over) instead of a font.
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X