Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, please! Stumped by the Roscoe/w's of Bolton Lancs

Hello everyone,
    This Lancashire family is huge and convoluted in the Bolton area, almost akin to Smiths elsewhere ;) Any thoughts gratefully received.
    A few details : I have traced my line back to a Robert Roscow born in Bolton circa 1792, son of James and Mary. I am okay from then onwards down to me , but getting further back is the problem.
    I have checked micro films for all the local churches I could find, and obviously what they have on line and I can't find a marriage for a James and Mary that would work..
    I have found an MI at St Peter's Bolton that might throw light on the subject of James Roscoes parents and date of birth but can't find a marriage for them either though the baptism records are a bit more helpful.
    No wills are extant if ever they existed.
    Does anyone know the area? Can anyone suggest a method of sorting out the various strands of the family? A process of elimination perhaps?
    Does anyone know anything about the Mary Roscow who married a Thomas Holden in Preston in 1764 for example? If I knew her lot I could cross them off my list :o
    This is longwinded I know. I am really at the end of my tether about this
    Thanks for reading this screed anyway
    Janexxx
    To boldly go where no genealogist has gone before....

I suppose what I would do is find baptisms for other children of James and Mary to see when eldest known child was baptised and look round for a marriage just before that.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Forgive me if this is stating the obvious, but you HAVE checked Roscough, Roscoff,Roscrow, Roscopp etc?

They may have been nonconformists and although they would still have to have married in the parish church, they might have married in another parish church, by licence.

OC

Comment

Thanks, Nell, I tried this and it doesn't help! There may be two couples of the same names LOL but the earliest child born to a James and Mary in the Bolton area was 1782 and I checked from 1780 onwards! Of course they may have married afterwards...

OC, anything beginning with ''Ros'' I considered. The family seemed to like marrying at St Mary's Eccles, but James and Mary weren't there
        Last edited by Cool Blue; 06-10-08, 17:14.

Comment

They weren't one of those odd couples who decided, for no obvious reason, to get married in London?

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

And, of course, people didn't always do the baptism/marriage thing in the conventional order! :o

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
              And, of course, people didn't always do the baptism/marriage thing in the conventional order! :o

Christine
              Indeed, Christine

Mighty ornery of them.

Thanks everyone so far for your ideas. I am seriously contemplating extracting every blinky Roscoe I can find next time I can get at the records, and seeing how they join up. It should only take me till 2108 :(:(

Comment

Working...
              X