No announcement yet.

Which family tree software do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which family tree software do you use?

Which software do you use for building your family tree?

(Sorry if your program is not included in the list and you have to pick "Other" - there is a maximum size of 10 choices for any poll on here. If you do pick "Other", please post to say which program you use.)

You can vote for more than one option.

Thanks for taking part!
    Online (GR, ancestry, Tribal Pages, findmypast etc)
    24.20%
    PAF
    7.01%
    Legacy
    7.64%
    Family Tree Maker
    45.86%
    Heredis
    0.64%
    Reunion
    0.00%
    Genbox
    0.00%
    Roots Magic
    3.18%
    Kith and Kin
    0.64%
    Other - please post.
    10.83%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by KiteRunner; 06-10-08, 11:13.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

I use Family Historian as it's easy to use, very adaptable and has a fantastic user group.

Margaret
    Margaret

Comment

I also use Family Historian. Love the "all relatives" diagram, the ability to go into individuals and edit/add etc straight from the diagrams and the users' forum
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Family Historian - best on the market!!
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I mainly use FTM but I still use Generations 8 which is the first program I bought.
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

The Master Genealogist - it was given to me when I started doing my tree, it does everything I need it to do.
            Vikki -
            Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

I have ticked FTM but I do also use Heredis. I find it useful for reports.

Comment

FTM mainly but also PAF for basic tree. Bare bones tree on GR.
                Gwynne

Comment

I use Brother's Keeper.

If I think there's something that could be improved, or want to know how to do something with BK, I just email the man who wrote the program! lol

It's probably fairly basic compared with other newer, more sophisticated programs, but it does what I want it to

Comment

MacFamilyTree .... cos the computer's a Mac

Prefer using Tribal Pages though

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

FTM but have a small tree on GR

Comment

Family Historian
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I use FTM 2004 as my main database but have put trees on GR, Tribal Pages and Ancestry One World tree etc. I like the Charting Companion to FTM because I can easily print pdf versions for relatives for their 'bit' or for sending to people I trace and write to speculatively to find out if they are related.

Comment

Another vote for Family Historian - the best program in my opinion. There seem to be quite a few of us!! ;)

Anne

Comment

The one for Apple Mac too, so we are limited to the one choice, unfortunately!

Comment

I currently use Family Tree Maker 2006, but am not entirely happy with all its functions. I'm in the market for a new program, but don't really fancy family tree maker again as its changed so much over the years and I'm getting less and less to grips with each new version.

I've tried roots magic in the past and possibly I'm leaning towards this. I first started 15 years ago on familysearch site with PAF file. Them were the days !!!
                                David

I
                                Don't always claim to be right, but I'm never wrong.

Comment

See how many of us use Family Historian, Poytheboy! There is a very helpful users' website as well, with a forum and all sorts of extra hints, tips and add ons for the program.

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by poytheboy View Post
                                    I currently use Family Tree Maker 2006, but am not entirely happy with all its functions. !!!
                                    I find this thread fascintating. As a totally dedicated FTM user I cannot see what there is to not like about it.
                                    This is not meant to be a contraversial post but I would love to know what you don't like about it.
                                    Elaine

Comment

When I first needed tree software the priorities were:

Good charting/diagrams - as a visual learner/doer I tend to work from the diagrams and they are easily customisable as well as being able to view the tree in different ways.

UK based software

Standard GEDCOM format for uploading to my own (then in the future website) and other websites

Ease of use

Good Help and support - FH has excellent built in Help, user group, website and documentation

I settled on FH when it was just into Version 2 and have stayed with it even though I have also got Legacy and looked at others.
                                      Caroline
                                      Caroline's Family History Pages
                                      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                        I find this thread fascintating. As a totally dedicated FTM user I cannot see what there is to not like about it.
                                        This is not meant to be a contraversial post but I would love to know what you don't like about it.

Snap Elaine.

I'd like to know too.

I have tried many different Geneolagy programs but I always come back to FTM, and the more I use FTM 2008 the more I like it.
                                        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Working...
                                        X