Help reading will please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help reading will please

Can anyone read the bit after "I George Putnam" please? I can't read it & am hoping it gives his occupation & the village where he lived but I can't read the place name either!

The bit after reads "In the parish of Tring in the county of Herts Gent being in..."

This is the best will I've ever read, it gives alll his grandchildren's names, children's names & even great grandchildren's names! The only thing is I can't tie him into my tree yet because I can't find his grandson George's baptism but I am hoping he is my George if you see what I mean, lol!

Last edited by Joan of Archives; 05-10-08, 22:36.

Joanie

I think it reads "Fielder of Belloe" or possibly "thelder of Belloe" meaning the elder
    Last edited by Roger in Sussex; 05-10-08, 22:49.

Comment

Oooo Roger ! I wonder what one of those was?

Thanks!

Joanie

Comment

Does the will mention anyone who might be George Putnam the younger?

Comment

In Parishes - Tring with Long Marston | British History Online there is a Betlow its a very interesting site with lots of details and names
          Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

It looks more like thelder than fielder, because if the letter at the beginning is a double f meaning upper case F, it should have a curly bit at the bottom like the one at the beginning of France, and if it's lower case f there should only be one of them. But it does look similar to the beginning of "the", don't you think? I don't know if there is any meaning of "thelder" other than "the elder"?
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Certainly might be Betloe, he runs the crossbar of the t into the h in "fifth" in the second line, so why not into an l?

Comment

Thanks for that bit on British History online, that looks very interesting!

How about this bit, can anyone read the names of the four churches? I don't understand what he is doing there, is he leaving his granddaughter money to give to the church?

This one will keep you amused for ages I expect!

;)

Joanie

Comment

No, Joan, it's the four "feast days" of the year on which Dorothy was to receive her quarterly payments... hang on a minute and I'll type it out - unless Roger gets there first!
                  KiteRunner

Comment

It's not four churches, it's four feast days: St. Michael the Archangel, St. Thomas the Apostle, the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. John the Baptist. The payments are to be made on those dates.
                    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 05-10-08, 23:30.

Comment

Snap

Comment

bequeath unto the said Dorothy Stormell my grand-daughter the yearly sum of five pounds per annum yearly & every year from and after my decease until she the said Dorothy shall attain to the said age of one & twenty years, to be payed at the four feasts of St. Mychaell the Archangel, St Thomas the Apostle, the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. John the Baptist by even & equal portions, the first payment to be made at such of the said feasts as shall first & next happen after my decease.
                        KiteRunner

Comment

If St Thomas is Xmas Day, then it's the 4 days rent is traditionally paid.
                          Phoenix - with charred feathers
                          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Hmn, St Thomas is December 21st.
                            Phoenix - with charred feathers
                            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

He wanted her to have her money early for Christmas, then!

Thelder - looking through Google, there are a few threads on various different forums asking what a thelder was, and it does look most likely it means "the elder" - for instance, this one:
                              "wife of John Snowe thelder of Bridgwater aforesaide merchante"
                              KiteRunner

Comment

I read it as Dorothy Stowell ?

Does that mean her £5 was to be split into 4 per annum?

This will cites 17 grandchildren, names them all & leaves them £5 apiece

He also left £ 20 each to the 4 eldest grandchildren and £100 to Dorothy as well as her £5 per annum

In 1719 £265 (not including Dorothy's £5 per annum) would be worth what now do you reckon?

That was without the residue of his estate left to George his son

Joanie

Comment

Oh yes, could well be Stowell - the proper names are always the most difficult to decipher unless you already know what it should say! Yes, her £5 would be split into 4 per year. Don't know how much it would be worth in today's money, sorry.
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Joan of Archives View Post

In 1719 £265 (not including Dorothy's £5 per annum) would be worth what now do you reckon?
                                    About £35,000 based on the retail price index:

Measuring Worth - Purchasing Power of British Pound

Comment

Thanks everyone!

For some reason I can't load it but the bit above Dorothy's bequest says he left her "one hundred pounds of lawful money of Great Britain to be paid to her by my exit? when as soon as the said Dorothy shall attain the age of one & twenty years, also I do give and bequeath unto the said Dorothy Stowell (?) my granddaughter etc.."

Would you agree this gives the impression that Dorothy was under the age of 21 when the will was made? I can't find any baptism for her or her brother Nathaniel or sisters Hannah, Susanna, Elizabeth & Sarah on the IGI at all. I am guessing they may have been born around 1700-1718 ?

Thanks. It seems it was quite a lot of money back then

Joanie

Comment

Ooooo I just found a Nathaniel STONELL bapt. Ivinghoe! I wonder.....

There's also a batch of Stonells born to a Nathaniel Stonell & his wife Mary ? could she be George's daughter mentioned in the will? There are lots of baptisms for children with them as their parents, including a Dorothy Stonell bap. 1700 & a Nathaniel bapt. 1695 in Puttenham Bucks

Am I getting closer do you think?

;)

Joanie

Comment

Working...
                                        X