Ancestry - is it just me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry - is it just me?

I'm looking for someone in 1901, living in Eastbourne.

If I put Eastbourne (no names) in the Keywords box and Sussex in the pull down menu, I get 53,519 matches.

However, if I then add a year of birth of 1884 there are no matches!!! If I say 1884, plus or minus one year, I get 2,451 matches.........so about 1,200 people born in 1883 and the same in 1885, but none in 1884???????

What's going on??

rg 13/880/129/51 has a 17 yr old, clear as day.... born 1882!

Off to see if I can find any more.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Annie Dyer and Winifred Logan on the next page are also 17 - both down as 1882!
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

2000 odd born 1882, 970 born in 1883.

Comment

Oooh, how odd!!

The person I'm after was born 1884 on TNA version, so maybe I should look harder at the 1882 people!!

Thanks Phoenix

Comment

Another search shows me there are only three people in the whole of Sussex indexed with a birth year of 1884 in Ancestry's 1901 index.

Of those three apparent 17-year-olds, two are on vessels and are 17. The third one has the destinction of being the only person in the whole of Sussex to be living in an ordinary house and indexed as age 17, but upon looking at the page I see his age is actually "1yr 1mth"

Comment

There are only 3 people born 1884 in the whole of Sussex! (Snap, Merry!) Hopefully it's just one of those temporary glitches that appears when they're updating the census but it might be worth reporting it to them.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

lol, I think I will!!

Comment

Message sent. Response expected by Wednesday!! lol

Comment

Reply expected, 8th Oct. Reply received 17th Oct!

I told them about 11,000 people being given the wrong estimated year of birth.

They have replied.......

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Can you submit a correction by following the instructions below?

Answer Title: How to correct a spelling error in online indexes
                    Answer Link: Welcome - Family Tree Forum

There is a box in this link where you can write out a full explanation.

If there is anything else with which we might assist you, please let us know.

When I click the link I get a screen saying "Permission Denied, This answer is no longer available"

I think I may give up!! lol

Comment

Merry, I would email them back with your answer .... NO, your system does not let me ;)

"Can you submit a correction by following the instructions below?"
                      Bridget

Comment

I have done as you suggest, Bridget!! lol

Comment

Er, were they asking you manually to correct 1000 entries?

Comment

Lol Merry has a job for life :D

]

Comment

Anyway, the only correction you can make is to the name, not the year of birth!
                              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

lol exactly!!

And that's 11,000, not 1000, Phoenix!!

Comment

Oh lol! I've just checked my emails and they have sent an auto reply saying they cannot accept my reply as I sent the email from "an address not associated with my membership" (or words to that effect).

But I only have one email addy!!

Oh, I suppose I've had membership for so long maybe I had a different addy when I signed up??

*feels bout of can't-be-bothered-any-more coming on*

Comment

Doh! But they sent both the replies here?????!!!!! wierd!

Comment

Oh lol! I've just checked my emails and they have sent an auto reply saying they cannot accept my reply as I sent the email from "an address not associated with my membership" (or words to that effect).
                                      bet they won't be saying that Merry when they want your money for subs :D
                                      Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

lol Daphne!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X