would there be a newspaper report 1868

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would there be a newspaper report 1868

Would there be a newspaper report and how can I find it please?
    Hiram Pickles died after falling into a vat of boiling water 18 Feb 1868 possibly Halifax/Heptonstall area of Yorkshire.

Not much I am afraid

Liverpool Mercury etc (Liverpool, England), Friday, February 21, 1868; Issue 6262.
    Attached Files
    Elaine

Comment

Have you got the Death Cert? Was there an Inquest?

Suggest you try the local paper for the area ie Halifax/Heptonstall. The local main library at either of these two places will help you to decide which newspapers you need to look at. Then you need to go either to Halifax or Colindale London to do a search of newspaper for the time in which you are interested. You can ask library to search for you though they may charge for this as you are not sure whether there is a report or not. I was at Colindale yesterday and it took me all day to search for a report I was interested in and although I found the incident I was interested in, I did not find any further material after an inquest.

You could also look at Colindale Holdings yourself to decide which paper you could be interested in

I suggest you key in Halifax Yorkshire otherwise you will get places all over the world! There are plenty for Halifax but none for Heptonstall.

Janet
      Last edited by Janet; 08-10-08, 15:04.

Comment

thank you both. I have only just come across the reason for his early death. Thanks for the little snippet from the paper.

Comment

The local paper would probably have more information. If you get his death cert it will give you the date of death and the inquest date, if there was one. Armed with these, the library service will probably be able to send you any photocopies of newspaper reports for a small sum.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

The main local newspapers are the Halifax Courier, Hebden Bridge Times and Yorkshire Post.

Not sure when they began publication, but a search on their websites would probably tell you.

Comment

Hi Gloryer, do you have a Hiram Pickles who was married to a Sarah?

Sarah died 1865.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

No I dont, mine was married to Martha Schofield in 1867 but if your Sarah died 1865 I suppose its possible he was married before... Not looked into that one yet. Mine was son of Thomas Pickles.

Comment

Working...
                X